Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Has anyone had any problems after locking their Fiamma Door Lock?

I mean the Safelock type, not the arm that swings over the habitation door and lock.

We parked up on an overflow carpark whilst in Inverness to go for breakfast.

Hub locked the Fiamma lock. He's fanatical about security and ALWAYS wiggles the lock to check it is secure.

Came back to find the lock open and twisted halfway round. No-one got in presumably because we left the hound inside. (She puts on her deep Alsation voice when she feels like it.)

We can only think that someone has got hold of a bunch of Fiamma keys because THAT LOCK WAS LOCKED.

Any comments from fellow funsters?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if its the cylinder type key with varying depth slots around it then im not surprised.

very difficult lock to 'pick' but so many uses now that there are literally millions of keys in use.

the chances of having one to fit are probably remote but not impossible.

dont be put off using it though.....:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is that the one that can be opened with a Bic pen top?

supposedly:RollEyes:

iv tried to pick these locks when i did breakdown recovery and if the pins are pushed in too far it has the same effect as not pushing them in at all....it stays locked.
cant see how a bic pen top can do the job myself as it will hit the first pin and push it all the way in to the stop, effectively locking it again, and the remaining pins cant be pushed in any further.

mulaz

Free Member
Apr 14, 2009
Durham
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
3 years
my lock has came loose twice.
The nut on the back of the unit had to be fixed with locktite thread lock to stop it happening again.
all in it needs yearly maintenance a good strip down and constant oiling of the lock to keep it working.
not sure many people would be able to pick one of these type locks with out damage.
i pick locks as part of my job (maint engineer) now and again .
when i have to overcome this type of lock the Dewalt with 10mm drill is called for:RollEyes:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
I don't know about the security angle of these, but mine sticks occasionaly, and i have trouble removing the key. :Angry:
I have used several methods depending on circumstances, from wd40 to olive oil to
:Blush:
one-cal fry spray!! (when I couldn't find the wd40).
They all work until road grime gets into the lock and requires another squirt.
I also found it tends to lock/unlock in both directions of the key turn.
This may have some bearing on the security, ie maybe it didn't latch right.
By the way, if you've got a convertible BMW, one-cal fry spray is great for lubricating the hood mechanism, my son-in-law is still in awe of my cheapness. :thumb:

ATB
DaveT

OP
OP
gypsylady

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
Fiamma Lock

The lock in question is the white plate that opens with a cylinder 'pop-out' lock.

The plate is then rotated over the habitation door and the cylinder pushes in to lock and the key turned back to secure.

The key only turns 45 degrees and the key cannot be taken out until it is returned to base.

Yes, the key can be removed with the cylinder out, but when the cylinder is 'home' and the key removed, we always wiggle the plate to make sure it is secure.

When we came back to the van the cylinder was out. OK maybe we didnt wiggle enough. But that doesn't explain why the plate was turned about 40 degrees from the horizontal / locked position......... Only someone's hand could have done that........

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
cant see how a bic pen top can do the job myself

The theory is, you heat the pen top and the spring pressures then create the correct key.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zy8sEj8etU"]YouTube - Oxford Magnum D Lock[/ame]

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
door lock

if its the lock imthinking we had a problem with ours last year it got stick half way couldnt lockit some ones came over and sprayed with wd oil been ok since however we never leave our van in a car park by using middle door as we call it we use front doors and tie a rope or something round the handle on door inside to the rail that is fixed to wall for helping you getting in and out so if anyone tries it won tbudge

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Sorry, can't advise on the Fiamma lock, only advise on lubricating..

WD 40 is good at releasing seized components but is near useless as a lubricant for locks..
It washes out the lubricant then evaporates leaving the components with next to no lubricant ..

Ordinary oil such as 3 in 1 is better but it attracts road dirt.. so your back to square one and more WD 40 .. a vicious circle ..

The very best is powdered graphite as recommended by lock manufacturers, it won't attract dirt, hold water or freeze in winter ..

Available in a puffer at most DIY stores .. as an example .. on ebay

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
why the hell didnt the RAC and GREENFLAG tech help tell us that trick when we needed tech info/help when recovering vehicles with steering wheel disc locks?:Doh:

no wonder Oxford have changed their locks to a high security key:thumb:

Dec 4, 2007
worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
20 years
why the hell didnt the RAC and GREENFLAG tech help tell us that trick when we needed tech info/help when recovering vehicles with steering wheel disc locks?:Doh:

no wonder Oxford have changed their locks to a high security key:thumb:

Oxford had to change them cause you carnt have a insurance approved radial pin type lock
Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back