Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
I recently installed one of these and cannot fit two bikes on, I have a mountain bike and road bike which were pretty expensive and the problem is there is not enough of a gap between the carriers and the bikes are entangled and are ending up scratched. I have had to carry one and throw the other in the van as I can't see a solution, surely I am missing something but can see no solution.

any advice appreciated

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Have you tried slackening the handle bars, turning in line, and putting the bikes on the rack facing different directions.. ?

I used to carry four like that , also used some bubble wrap or bits of foam between bikes where there was a risk of chaffing.

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I recently installed one of these and cannot fit two bikes on, I have a mountain bike and road bike which were pretty expensive and the problem is there is not enough of a gap between the carriers and the bikes are entangled and are ending up scratched. I have had to carry one and throw the other in the van as I can't see a solution, surely I am missing something but can see no solution.

any advice appreciated

Mountain bikes can be a bit of a pain due to the handlebar width. You may have to resort to a bit of Allan key work whenever you load to rotate the handlebars. If it's pedals clashing then try them in the "69" position. Works for us. :roflmto:

Tim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Depends on which rack you have bought, you can move the rails further apart on some I think but you will then have to purchase the blocker for the 'third bike' position

Peter

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Had a 3 bike rack,used to have to swivel handle bars round,remove seat posts,juggle them around for an age,didn't seem to matter how many times i took them on/off never seemed to go back same way!!
Then fitting cover was another wind up, so when we came to replace van made sure it got a LARGE garage

OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
I did try to shuffle but it was either pedals sticking in or seat posts then the handle bars. I only had limited time so threw one in the back, just can't understand why they don't just give a bit more clearance rather then have to qualify for the krypton factor ! No way of adjusting, double checked.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I did try to shuffle but it was either pedals sticking in or seat posts then the handle bars. I only had limited time so threw one in the back, just[HI] can't understand why they don't just give a bit more clearance [/HI]rather then have to qualify for the krypton factor ! No way of adjusting, double checked.

Not 100% sure, but I think it is to comply with EU law regarding max overhang of a bike rack.. I do know it is 45cm/18" in Portugal..

so whether it's a 2, 3, or 4 bike rack, it is the same size rack .. maybe someone can measure to confirm.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
To keep the bikes apart and prevent scratching we use standard pipe insulation cut in to short lengths. The stuff slip around frame tubes and stops contact.:thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Mountain bikes are meant to get battered aren't they? Mine's scratched to buggery.

Anyway, be that as it may, I stagger them on the rack and make sure the pedals are angled in such a way as to not clash with the other bike's frame. I've never had to twiddle with the handle bars.

Then I chain the bikes tight to the metal bar that holds the bike frame supports, and run a webbing strap from the handlebars up to the rear ladder as a temporary fail safe in case the rack collapsed.

I've carried three mountain bikes that way.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Our Fiamma rack was bought second hand, I had to buy a third bike rail and a long cross bar support. The support that the bike rails fit onto had a couple of bolts to take out, then you could extend this section and put the bolts into the next set of holes along. Since we got the electric bikes which have wider cranks, we can only fit two bikes on now but they take the weight to near the limit for the rack anyway.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
bike rack

Hi I carry 2 electric bikes (without the battery in them)one ladies, one mountain bike, I put mountain bike inside with bars turned straight at one side then the other bike the other way round. use bubble wrap around the clamps so far no scratches
Paul

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I did try to shuffle but it was either pedals sticking in or seat posts then the handle bars. I only had limited time so threw one in the back, just can't understand why they don't just give a bit more clearance rather then have to qualify for the krypton factor ! No way of adjusting, double checked.

You can buy folding pedals. I carry two large bikes with no bother. Put them on opposite to each other, ie 69. Do not have to move handlebars or seats. BUSBY.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If the drop down support tubing that the runners are fastened to protrudes backwards past the outer runner (.... think about it, it DOES make sense!) there's no reason why you couldn't take the outer runner off, drill some new holes further out and then put the runner back on - that's what I've done in the past without a problem to give an extra inch or two, this, along with the other suggestions above from others, should solve your problem.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,
On a related theme, SWMBO saw a Bike Cover for our two bikes on Fleabay. It eventually sold for £27 plus£6 postage.
I was then instructed to get a better deal.
I went onto the JohnsCross site and bought the same cover (only Brand New!!!) for less than the idiot on Fleabay.(We get a discount from JohnsCross
Thats a few more quid that this site has saved me

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
On our old fiamma 3 bike rack it was possible to undo the bolts and extend the base bars which gave plenty of space if you just used the inner and outer rails and only carried 2 bikes.
I think most folks carrying mountain bikes tend to turn the bars parallel with the crossbar due to the fact that their bars are much wider than those of a road bike. You can generally avoid pedals scrapping the other bikes frame by being careful how you set the cranks before loading

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The rails that the wheels sit in can be slid from side-to-side (when the fasteners are loosened) setting one to extreme left & the other to extreme right is yet another option to add to the rest.

OP
OP
karel

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks for all the suggestions why the hell don't they just add a bit more of a gap instead of having to contortion the bikes or drill this and add that, bizarre

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back