Fiamma awning (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Another question. Our awning is fiamma abd the instruction book says not to be used in the rain :rain:?

We have seen awnings out in the rain, with sides etc So can you use it in the rain? I know to put it away in the wind.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Really? I didn't know that. We have just inherited a wind out awning on our new(to us) van. I was looking forward to using as a shelter in the rain, keeping chairs dry etc.

Let's face it, in this country the damn thing would never be in use if that's the case:Doh:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You can use in the rain.. just lower one leg slightly to prevent the rain puddling

but do watch out for sudden gusts of wind, which often accompany showers..

If it looks like it the wind may get up.. wind it in..

You can use tie down straps.. but personally I don't risk it.. seen too many over van roofs, even with straps employed ..and the damage can be extensive..

Scottish rain is fine.. you know the sort that wets you through without you realizing it's raining. :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not for use in the rain ! ??? Ours has been in all weather for the past 7 years without issue !
If an awning cannot be used in the rain I would say it is hardly fit for purpose.. I really would not worry about it, but as Jim says, do lower a leg so the water runs off.

Tip when using tie downs
Put a twist in the strap. It will stop it humming in the wind :thumb:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
You can use in the rain.. just lower one leg slightly to prevent the rain puddling

but do watch out for sudden gusts of wind, which often accompany showers..

If it looks like it the wind may get up.. wind it in..

You can use tie down straps.. but personally I don't risk it.. seen too many over van roofs, even with straps employed ..and the damage can be extensive..

Scottish rain is fine.. you know the sort that wets you through without you realizing it's raining. :roflmto:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HioFR2wMZ4"]Peter Kay Its spitting - YouTube[/ame] ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Try to make sure it is dry though before you wind it in, otherwise it will go as mouldy as Old Mo's underpants.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
To stop rain pooling as posted before, drop one side down a bit and use a rafter.

As to wind, yes, think of it as a sail, on a boat the sail moves the boat easily over a liquid (water).

An awning whatever make has a large area as well and what is it fixed to, a van on four wheels with the handbrake on.

Whats going to give first, the handbrake or the awning

Peter

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
To stop rain pooling as posted before, drop one side down a bit and use [HI]a rafter.[/HI]

As to wind, yes, think of it as a sail, on a boat the sail moves the boat easily over a liquid (water).

An awning whatever make has a large area as well and what is it fixed to, a van on four wheels with the handbrake on.

Whats going to give first, the handbrake or the awning

Peter

What, where, Why? Ours is a 4 metre jobby, I guess this means it could do with a rafter to give more support?

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Ours is 3.5 do you think we need a rafter, looked at the fiamma store and it is about £70!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Ours is 3.5 do you think we need a rafter, looked at the fiamma store and it is about £70!

Presuming a rafter is the extra pole to go in middle of awning, I bought one for ours, but it is longer than 3.5, does a good job in stopping pooling, but just makes the panic wind in a bit slower when needed due to wind

Ours also does not have a clip fixing and has dropped off with awning movement due to wind, but maybe it should already have been away by then!!

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Just be aware that if you use a rafter it makes a hell of a noise as the canopy "slaps" it.:cry:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just be aware that if you use a rafter it makes a hell of a noise as the canopy "slaps" it.:cry:

The 'slap' is quite reassuring in that you know the roof is not full of water
and is a useful reminder to wind it back in, it needs to be quite windy to get a decent 'slap' :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not for use in the rain ! ??? Ours has been in all weather for the past 7 years without issue !
If an awning cannot be used in the rain I would say it is hardly fit for purpose
I think you'll find that Fiamma do not claim that it is a rain shelter, just a sun shade ... :RollEyes:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we use ours in the rain, no issues with one leg shorter than the other :thumb:

however, as has been said, whatever you do, no matter what the weather is like when you wind it out. do not be tempted "not"! to peg it down.:Eeek:

sean n maggie

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
leeds
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
we have a rafter on our 4m....and always peg it down,,,,you never know when the wind is going to get up.......:thumb:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
It's amazing what you learn in just one post, thanks:thumb:

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
The Fiamma rafter for my previous 'van was £34 (that was pre-Funster days and now note that I could have got it cheaper from John's Cross!!!)

However, I now have a supplementary question....

I now have an Omnistor awning. Will my (now spare) Fiamma rafter fit it? I seem to remember that I had some extra fittings included with the Fiamma rafter when I bought it. They looked like universal fittings? Course; I can't find them now!

I'd prefer to use the Fiamma kit rather than the heavy and 'basic' tent pole rafter that came with the Omnistor..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back