Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
3 years
I had a Fiamma awning fitted to my swift suntor two years ago and it has started to come away from the side of the vehicle. I have looked inside where it is fitted and it has pulled through the inner lining of the vehicle. I was wondering, shouldn't it have been fitted with packing between the vehicle and inner wall of the motorhome or the inner lining cut out where the brackets are? I will be going back to the garage which fitted it but would like to be armed with good information in case they try to avoid taking responsibility. Although it was fitted two years ago we have probably only used in a maximum of ten times. Any advice would be appreciated.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
when mine was fitted they placed squares of metal plate on the inside wall as stress plates and copper tube on the bolts in the wall so when tightened it did not crush the wall

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have seen one just fixed with long woodscrews into the wooden frame. Needless to say it came off causing quite a mess.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Coltc

Free Member
Sep 2, 2012
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
3 years
There is no packing or collars on the bolts, but it's a good idea which I may suggest when I speak to the garage.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Have a look on the fiamma web site, there are fitting instructions. Mine has the rectangular plates on the inside wall under the fiamma plastic caps. If its not got them, then i believe it has not been fitted as per manufacturers recommendations.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I had a Fiamma awning put on my last van by someone who knew how to do it! He's not far from you nr Evesham, Let me know if you want more details!

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Id have thought that the mounting should have had large backing plates under the outer skin [ to spread the load ] and the awning bolted birect to these. Mounting it though both the inner and outet skins without somthing solid between is extreemly poor engineering practice.
Hope you manage to get it fixed.
Pudseykeith. :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It should be bolted completely through the motorhome side wall, and usually has 3 fixing points, each with 2 bolts which go through a rectangular fixing plate on the inside and then a plastic cover is clipped over them - all 'proper' kit. As has been mentioned within the wall itself there should also be some tubing to prevent the wall being compressed when the bolts are tightened.

If they haven't done this then they have bodged the job big time.:Angry:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Mine has a proper kit on it but back along the rain collected on the awning ,collapsed a leg and pulled a plate through the inner wall.
I made up steel plates twice the size for the 3 fixings now to spread the load.
It won`t come off now:thumb:
I cannot belive that the original fixings can be strong enough--all the leverage on them when the awning is wound out and before the legs can be adjusted must be a lot :Eeek:

greygit

Free Member
Aug 11, 2009
Forest of Dean, Glos, France and Spain
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Mine has a proper kit on it but back along the rain collected on the awning ,collapsed a leg and pulled a plate through the inner wall.
I made up steel plates twice the size for the 3 fixings now to spread the load.
It won`t come off now:thumb:
I cannot belive that the original fixings can be strong enough--all the leverage on them when the awning is wound out and before the legs can be adjusted must be a lot :Eeek:

Ours did the same but due to wind not rain I also did the same as you and made up large plates to spread the load and hide the damage.:Smile:

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
I had the similar problem on my last van with the small packing plates starting pull on the inside wall. I got a local fabricator to make me some 3" square 18swg plates which I fitted. Problem solved.
On my current van I have just the packinf plates that Fiamma provide, but due to my last experiance, I get my Wife to take the weight of the awning untill I put the legs down.
Malc

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Fiamma say that the awnning should not be wound out more than 1 meter without support from the legs. They recommend, wind out 1m put legs down and wind out / move the legs until fully extended.

Also, tilt the awning ( one leg hire than the other ) to prevent any rain pooling.

As a catch all, their handbook tells you to put the awning away in windy or heavy rain.

Not saying i agree, just quoting their hand book.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I was just about to say what Phill has ... please tell me that people don't really wind the awning out a long way and expect it to 'hold' on the fixing points alone!!!:Eeek:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I had an awning & room fitted by the "Awning Company" ( GH ) they called Fiamma awning sun blinds and having had a few thats what they are, the utmost care should be taken to support them, they should not be left out if its windy and a good slope / slant should be on it in shower, if its heavy rain take it in unless you have the centre rafters.

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back