Ferry to Spain - options / discounts / recommendations ? Eurotunnel Frequent Traveller ? (1 Viewer)

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
I need to get down to Southern Spain in the next 2 weeks, after a long couple of months dealing with problems in UK. Normally I just meander down through France but due to the late time of year I don't fancy the long non-toll route so much, and my Eurotunnel frequent traveller account has expired.

Never taken the direct ferry to Spain before and just got a price with Brittany Ferries (for a large A-class with box trailer) which is a fair bit higher than I normally pay with fuel etc.

Does anyone know of (or have) any current discount codes / vouchers etc that could be used on such a crossing ? Any tips or recommendations for Portsmouth / Plymouth to Santander / Bilbao ?

Alternatively, is anyone looking to share a Eurotunnel frequent traveller account ?

Having just spent a fortune on 7 new tyres, front and rear brakes, suspension, hab and cab batteries etc, I really need to budget carefully and save a few pennies wherever possible - and cutting the long drive that I've done several times before would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Parapilot

Parapilot

Free Member
Dec 29, 2015
Whiston
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
6 years
Thanks for the 10% offers. :giggle: Guess these can't be used with any online offers the ferry companies might have ? I hadn't factored in the additional cost of on-board accommodation etc.

Any notable differences between routes / ports / ferries ? (ie. loading difficulties with long overhang and trailer, accommodation, etc). Do they all store M/H inside or do some go exposed on deck ?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I believe only the Pont Aven has them all inside. Pot luck with the Cap Finistere!
You need to factor in meals on board as well as accommodation but we have taken to the cabin a cool bag packed with travel kettle (adapter for socket required) , cups, milk and snacks and so just buying one evening meal and light breakfast.

I think using the tolls through France would still be cheaper.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Just booked Eurotunnel with Tesco vouchers - that's the cheapest way if you've got the vouchers. But Eurotunnel treats a trailer as an additional vehicle so a ferry is often cheaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just booked Eurotunnel with Tesco vouchers - that's the cheapest way if you've got the vouchers. But Eurotunnel treats a trailer as an additional vehicle so a ferry is often cheaper.
Trailers are quite expensive on the tunnel as you will pay the same for a little 1m long goods trailer as a 8m caravan.

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
As Riverbankannie said you can only guarantee being in the hold if you travel on Pont Aven. I think it's last sailing is around mid to end of November, so it depends how precious you are about having your van covered in sea spray for 20 hours!

Thats not to say you won't be in the hold on the other ferries but Brittanny Ferries won't guarantee it.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I believe only the Pont Aven has them all inside. Pot luck with the Cap Finistere!
You need to factor in meals on board as well as accommodation but we have taken to the cabin a cool bag packed with travel kettle (adapter for socket required) , cups, milk and snacks and so just buying one evening meal and light breakfast.

I think using the tolls through France would still be cheaper.

I think it's not cheaper through France with tolls.

40 years of trying in cars, vans and motorhomes

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
As Riverbankannie said you can only guarantee being in the hold if you travel on Pont Aven. I think it's last sailing is around mid to end of November, so it depends how precious you are about having your van covered in sea spray for 20 hours!

Thats not to say you won't be in the hold on the other ferries but Brittanny Ferries won't guarantee it.

Pont aven has done the last Spanish trip for this season. Going for a new engine soon before the Christmas / new year trips

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
No seasickness on the tunnel
Can't use Eurotunnel on this occasion as we are LPG powered

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I think it's not cheaper through France with tolls.

40 years of trying in cars, vans and motorhomes
I was factoring in spending on meals and so on and assuming ferry cost with trailer might be a lot more than we paid, I suppose it depends on getting away with class 2 at the tolls? I don’t know how much a trailer adds, I admit :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back