Vince blacker

Free Member
Aug 14, 2012
Northants
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Hello I have just brought a Georgie boy landau and want to take it to France on Friday ,does anyone know the the cheapest ferry company to use or any other tips.

Thanks Vince blacker

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Hi and welcome

All ferry prices vary dependent on what vehicle size you are taking, so you will need to log onto their websites and fill in requested info to get a price. The ferries doing the dover - calais/dunqurke routes all charge similar prices for their basic crossing. The dearest is brittany ferries as they do the longer crossings and cabins are required.
The cheapest way is to book well in advance of traveling if you know you wont be changing dates etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
DFDS can be cheaper going into Dunkirk rather than Calais.
If you are a member of the Caravan Club I think you can get a discount with them.
I usually look at all the ferry companies direct, and also use mappy http://en.mappy.com/ to calculate if it's cheaper for me to travel to Dover for a cheaper crossing or travel from say Newhaven or Portsmouth (dearer crossing but save on fuel)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you have to be a member of the CCC

Carefree, part of the Camping & Caravanning Club also get discounted fares for members. See http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/latestoffers/ferry-offers/

Catherine

The discount was 10%... but then you have to pay to belong to the club.. so any real discount is wiped out in the first year as it is over £40 to join.

The tunnel does not charge by the length they do ask for it.. but I went over in June and it was £303 return for my RV and trailer which add up to 45' and I had the dog with me.

Worth checking and see what they will offer.. but this week is high season still.

do not forget the high vis jackets one for each person... also the two warning tri-angles due to your size... the 90 km sticker for the rear 55 mph max for that size... and you will need breatherliser kit... now available at Halfords.. £5.99. First aid box.

Sat Nav must not have the speed camera detection live either.

Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

I have booked a crossing with DFDS from Dover to Calais in a couple of weeks time, £29 one way which was the cheapest I could find.

As it happens the crossing to Dunquirk with them was the same price.

Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back