Ferry options between the U.K. & Europe (1 Viewer)

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
Hello all,

We are starting to plan a trip in December between Portugal and Scotland. I know, it will be cold!

We're planning to take our time driving up to Holland and spend some time in Amsterdam before taking the ferry across to Newcastle for easier access to Scotland.

For the return were not sure whether to return via Holland again or take one of the ferries direct to Spain from the UK.

Can anyone give any feedback on the UK/Holland and UK/Spain ferry options...or recommendations of other options? We've never taken the motorhome on a ferry before.

Deleted User
The Newcastle/ Holland ferry is very expensive compared to Hull/ Rotterdam or Hull/Zeebfugge which can be very reasonable if booked early enough and they offer various options from standard to Luxury.

The Portsmouth to Santander/ Bilbao services operated by Brittany Ferries are very popular but not cheap, good value in my opinion though.

I currently have 2 crossings booked to Spain, one on the 1st Oct that I have only recently booked and cost £490 one way with a large 4 berth cabin, the other is next April and cost £380, this with 10% disc for BF Club Voyage member(France).

If you use BF I can let you have a code that will get you the 10% as a Friend Or Family guest, if you PM me (conversation).

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
You do also have the option to cross from Plymouth to Santander with Brittany Ferries. On the face of it, might not seem much point if you're coming down from Scotland, could just as well depart from Portsmouth.

However, I believe the journey time from Plymouth to Santander is significantly quicker than either of the routes from Plymouth, though not much difference in price, if any.

On the one hand you could say the longer time at sea offers better value for money, but perhaps not if there's a storm force 10 blowing in the Bay of Biscay. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would certainly say that the Hull boats are bigger and better stabilised than the Newcastle on, can't remember about prices.

Martin

OP
OP
Badboo

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
Thanks for your responses!!

We've been looking at other ferry route options. Does anyone have thoughts on the Dunkirk/Dover option?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
You do also have the option to cross from Plymouth to Santander with Brittany Ferries. On the face of it, might not seem much point if you're coming down from Scotland, could just as well depart from Portsmouth.

However, I believe the journey time from Plymouth to Santander is significantly quicker than either of the routes from Plymouth, though not much difference in price, if any.

On the one hand you could say the longer time at sea offers better value for money, but perhaps not if there's a storm force 10 blowing in the Bay of Biscay. ;)
Sorry, I couldn't edit the above - it should say the journey from PORTSMOUTH is significantly longer than from Plymouth.

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
At this very moment we are on the Stenna ferry from Hook of Holland to Harwich. Thanks to Tesco vouchers we paid only £59 return!

I can recommend this crossing, ships are lovely. And the North Sea is like a mill pond this afternoon.

Paul

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Cost aside the crossing from Netherlands to Newcastle is one of the best runs I've ever done. Nice boats, good restaurants and good sailing times.

Deleted User
The Newcastle/ Holland ferry is very expensive compared to Hull/ Rotterdam or Hull/Zeebfugge

I would like to retract that statement after doing a comparison for a crossing in December when they both came in at the same price.

I checked earlier in the year for a crossing in September which came up with the more expensive quote from Newcastle, I have no idea why.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Dunkirk/Dover is fine - but Dover is one helluva way away from anywhere in Scotland, and you have to skirt several major cities on the way. Hull or Newcastle are one heck of a lot nearer so it really depends on how long you want to spend getting there, once you land, really - and how much you want to spend on fuel and campsites?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Thanks for your responses!!

We've been looking at other ferry route options. Does anyone have thoughts on the Dunkirk/Dover option?
I always use it. Cheap as chips, no problems Dunkirk side , as ferries are vehicular only. Straight out & on to A16 & in Belgium in a few minutes. easiest option for travel in that direction.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

The OP does NOT HAVE the option of the Plymouth to Spain routes. They do not operate in the Winter after 8th December until March and that one on the 16th is the only one that month..

Last edited:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
The OP does NOT HAVE the option of the Plymouth to Spain routes. They do not operate in the Winter after 8th December until March.
Thank you for that information - I didn't realise there was a break in the schedule during mid-winter. And apologies to the OP for providing misleading information.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thank you for that information - I didn't realise there was a break in the schedule during mid-winter. And apologies to the OP for providing misleading information.

No apologies needed Mike, Living so close to Plymuff it's so frustrating that it doesn't offer a year round service.
However, I've just discovered that there is a weekly service from Roscoff to Bilboa throughout the year. Expensive as you will also need a Plymouth-Roscoff ticket (and they're all o/night sailings in Winter) but at least it does give an alternative.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
We live in north Lancashire, and nowadays never use use Dover. After two 13 hours trips home from Dover (should be 5), we said never again. Always use Hull to either Zeebrugge or Rotterdam. This suits us because only 2 1/2 hours to Hull, and generally heading central or eastern Europe, so is convenient. Crossings generally very good

Deleted User
No apologies needed Mike, Living so close to Plymuff it's so frustrating that it doesn't offer a year round service.
However, I've just discovered that there is a weekly service from Roscoff to Bilboa throughout the year. Expensive as you will also need a Plymouth-Roscoff ticket (and they're all o/night sailings in Winter) but at least it does give an alternative.

Can you book the Roscoff-Bilbao crossing on the BF UK website, I have only ever seen it available on BF France?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can you book the Roscoff-Bilbao crossing on the BF UK website, I have only ever seen it available on BF France?

No. It can't be done
EXTRA to that. When looking at that route, there doesn't seem to be an option for foot passengers. Car, Van Camping Car Yes but no foot passengers.
(Oh and you can't use the BF Club Voyage Discount code either, (unless you've got the french version.)

Deleted User
No. It can't be done
EXTRA to that. When looking at that route, there doesn't seem to be an option for foot passengers. Car, Van Camping Car Yes but no foot passengers.
(Oh and you can't use the BF Club Voyage Discount code either, (unless you've got the french version.)

I knew about having to join Club Voyage France as I tried to book from France in Euro's when the exchange rate was good but as you say no discount so not viable.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Unless you really want to visit anywhere above Calais then go for the short crossing or if money is not important then the ferry to Spain must be best. The drive down from Scotland is a straight forward motorway run. Crossing from Newcastle I think is west to east so you will still have the miles to drive south on the other side.

Deleted User
The drive down from Scotland is a straight forward motorway run

Straight forward!!...........M74,A1, A1M, M6, M1, M25..........straight forward may be a little optimistic, looks good on the map though:)

Nothings ever straight forward on UK roads!

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Straight forward!!...........M74,A1, A1M, M6, M1, M25..........straight forward may be a little optimistic, looks good on the map though:)
Nothings ever straight forward on UK roads!
Don't forget the M5 that goes south too. I would prefer any of these to those on the other side. Best possible option from Scotland to Portugal must be M6 M5 ferry from Plymouth which will more or less drop you off as fresh as a daisy in Portugal. Might cost a couple of hundred more but worth every penny. (y)

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We go from Selkirk to Portsmouth, though would have considered Plymouth if the ferry had been running during the winter. Use the M6 toll for a quieter interlude at Birmingham. Santander will get you a bit nearer Portugal and you'll soon be on quiet Autovias. Yes, the BF route is dearer, but it has the advantage of not having to drive down through France with the extra stress that can cause.

We've always found the ferry experience very slick. You check in, get directed to a lane, wait a while and then start loading. The loading crew are very helpful if required. Allow up to an hour or so for disembarking, depending where you're parked. Take some reading and your computer/smart phone to while away the time. You can get a very decent meal in the restaurants of either the Pont Aven or Cap Finistere. We haven't sailed on the Economy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back