Ferry. Newhaven / Dieppe. Any thoughts please? (1 Viewer)

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Having had a belly full of problems using Dover recently can anyone please give their thoughts, experience of using the Newhaven route to France. Was it a good service or not? What, if any are the limitations?
Thanks.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
The service to Dieppe is good and to get out of the dock is easy. You could overnight on the dirt road outside the port but I believe there is an aire near by. Just be careful if you pass through Rouen.(y) :france:

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We have done it a couple of times, both times we have been delayed leaving Newhaven but OK the other way. If tou are over 60 you get 20% discount but you have to phone. Just find the crossing and price and then phone up. We didn't eat onboard as they were day crossings, took our own picnic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I always crossed Dieppe to Newhaven coming to UK, and its really easy. found DFDS as ferries good, Dieppe port is very easy to find, well signposted from all around the town. Cheery staff used to love booking my 4 pets through!
Dieppe is just as easy to get out of and there are 2 Aires in the town ( think the main one just round the corner from port entrance is having an overhaul)
I found Dieppe easier to negotiate than Le Havre.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
As we live half an hour from Newhaven we use this crossing all the time. It's a good service but the food on board is barely average.
As its only a 4 hour crossing we make a sandwich/nibbles up whilst in line waiting to board. (y)

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
Used it first time this year really good service easy to get in and out of dieppe straight road to Rouen

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
As we live half an hour from Newhaven we use this crossing all the time. It's a good service but the food on board is barely average.
As its only a 4 hour crossing we make a sandwich/nibbles up whilst in line waiting to board. (y)
Agreed we used to come back early due to a medical issue and it took out the drive back to Calais.
The ship was a bit basic, food naff, but it's only four hours and was loverly and smooth when we came back.
We also enjoyed the drive through the Kent countryside back to the Dartford crossing.
More expensive than Dover Calais but worth considering.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
An excellent alternative to Dover for central or western France. We routinely use it for our runs down to Spain/Portugal/Morocco. Surprisingly, too, Newhaven is closer (and a more pleasant run) from the Midlands than the purgatory known as M6/M1/M25/M20 to Dover. Booked a return today for a Sept/Oct trip to Portugal. I noticed that the return fare shown on the website was more than the combined cost for the single fare each way and pointed this out when I phoned to make the booking with the 20% discount. The helpful French girl on the other end said I could book individual singles and still get the discount. Took a bit longer going through two bookings and paying individually but I did save best part of £30!
Choose the right crossing and the fare isn't greatly more than Calais and Dieppe is a low hassle destination which gets you well on your way.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Excuse my ignorance please but as it's a longer crossing, do dogs have to stay in your van, or can you take them on deck with you?
I ask as we use the tunnel so we don't have to leave our mutts on their own..

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We use the new haven to dieppe . 1st time we wondered what sort of ferry it would be, yes it is older but thought it was better then ok. Easy assess at both ports makes it good for us , a bonus if heading down the west coast of France as it saves the drive from Calais .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Agreed we used to come back early due to a medical issue and it took out the drive back to Calais.
The ship was a bit basic, food naff, but it's only four hours and was loverly and smooth when we came back.
We also enjoyed the drive through the Kent countryside back to the Dartford crossing.
More expensive than Dover Calais but worth considering.

Not much more expensive but if your heading for Spain or Portugal it works out cheaper as you save at least 100 miles of motoring in France..I paid £57 for my 6.5 metre van with o.a.p. discount last oct.BUSBY.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Been using it the last couple of years booked 2 crossings this year both for less than £110 return for a 7m van, only 20 miles from home and depending where we are going can save up to 400 miles on a round trip.

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Came home this way this year. Basic boat no probs. No hassle like Calais. Cat stayed in van but you can go down and visit.

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Thanks for all the replies. Certainly looks promising, even if we use it to head further East. Worth spending a few quid to avoid the anguish of M3 east of Fleet services, M25, M20 and Dover or Calais...:smiley:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I need to book a return crossing from Dieppe to Newhaven.
Can anyone tell me the correct phone number for bookings please.
Many thanks,
Brisey.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
seems to be
  1. Address: Newhaven, East Sussex BN9 0DF
    Phone:0844 576 8836
  2. INT 0800 650 100

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
going through the C&CC i can get £107.55 seems a good deal to also save 200+ miles of travel,thanks for the post.(y)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Excuse my ignorance please but as it's a longer crossing, do dogs have to stay in your van, or can you take them on deck with you?
Any thoughts anyone?

OP
OP
O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
Any thoughts anyone?

I don't have dogs myself but assume that they will need to stay in the van, just like they do from Dover. Might be wrong because of the longer crossing. Someone on here will know...

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs

Dogs have to stay in your vehicle but you can ask yo be taken down to the car deck to check on them.
I've never done this--- dogs and cats would have thought journey was over, I was back, then I leave them again. And if they're upset there's nothing you can do.
In a motorhome they can move about, you can leave a bowl of water. Mine did about 2 dozen Dieppe to Newhaven trips, most in a car ( cats had to stay in their baskets in the car) but also in motorhome ( free to wander around) with no problems, no stress at all.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
going through the C&CC i can get £107.55 seems a good deal to also save 200+ miles of travel,thanks for the post.(y)

Good price but don't forget if you are over 60 and telephone they give you a 20% discount...BUSBY.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated... Thank you

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You can also get the discount if you book at the port office at Newhaven. Also booking direct you can pay in Euro which saves a few quid.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The length of van effects price, What length?

Also booking early makes a big difference, last year booked a month before going and it was nearly £200, this year booking in Feb £110 (7m van). Even at £200 worked out cheaper than Dover Calais for us.

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
The length of van effects price, What length?

Also booking early makes a big difference, last year booked a month before going and it was nearly £200, this year booking in Feb £110 (7m van). Even at £200 worked out cheaper than Dover Calais for us.
I'm now getting a different price on C&CC of £147.60,may have put different details on previously, on dfds comes up at £164 without age discount .Going late sept returning mid november 6.5m length but I may yet book 1 way at this moment.Will be making that phone call soon and thanks for the tip on paying in euros.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005

Likewise, we live nearby.
We crossed earlier this year and had a good price (over 60) but the boat was tired and dirty. The food looked like roadside cafe fare. I had a coffee and it was awful.
It's convenient but if you add the 4 hour crossing time it's quicker to take the tunnel - we can do door to door to Le Crotoy in 4h15 - but that may change with the current problems.
I'm surprised there were no migrants at Dieppe as there were no proper checks. Maybe they were already stowed away:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back