Since 2009
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
It will depend on the size and duration of the subsidies. The Rosyth passenger ferry was withdrawn when the subsidies ended. Can't see the demand myself, the Newcastle Bergen ferry stopped years ago when volume dropped. The Scottish Government believe they can subsidise everything, the taxpayer foots the bill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
It will depend on the size and duration of the subsidies. The Rosyth passenger ferry was withdrawn when the subsidies ended. Can't see the demand myself, the Newcastle Bergen ferry stopped years ago when volume dropped. The Scottish Government believe they can subsidise everything, the taxpayer foots the bill.

I understand your point. But in comparison to what the government give away in charity to other countries, it would be a drop in the ocean (pardon the pun).

It could bring tourism and ease road traffic.

And not forgetting, we the taxpayer don’t have any choice in having the aforementioned monies taken from them.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I understand your point. But in comparison to what the government give away in charity to other countries, it would be a drop in the ocean (pardon the pun).

It could bring tourism and ease road traffic.

And not forgetting, we the taxpayer don’t have any choice in having the aforementioned monies taken from them.

Trev

If you mean inward tourism to Scotland or UK, I doubt if that would be much from a population of just over 5m in Norway.

If you mean tourism to Norway then maybe they would like to subsidize it.

Geoff

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you mean inward tourism to Scotland or UK, I doubt if that would be much from a population of just over 5m in Norway.

Not just Norway.. all of Scandinavia ...

There were more than 15 million visits to the UK from Scandinavia between 2011 and 2016, contributing nearly £8.5 billion to the UK economy. Spending by Danish visitors alone rose by 30 per cent over the five years.

In 2016, Sweden, Denmark and Norway ranked 14th, 15th and 16th for the number of visitors coming to the UK.

and there is a growing demand by UK motorhome owners for a ferry.. I hope it starts up..

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes as @nicholsong said this has been aired before but a post from Facebook group RHEG, suggests the Norwegians won't be too interested from their end.

"Hello. We have been to a local and regional Tourism event where we asked a High ranking Norwegian Tourism Official about supporting a sea route to Norway. The response was very negative and she said the Norwegians are aiming at tourists from Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Holland, and English people are not a priority. Very disappointing!
Ironic now the UK is leaving the EU, the Norwegians don't seem interested in a direct route. Maybe this is why there is still no ferry because lack of support from the powers that be."

OP
OP
EuroTrotters
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I thought there were only 4 Million Norwegians left!.

I was hoping that the course may be like the old DFDS route that went from UK-Norway-Sweden. This would bring a wider group of travellers.

You may be surprised by the volume of Scandinavian and German road visitors to Scotland!. As stated, the route could bring the Danes, Dutch, Germans, Swedes, Norwegians and even the Finish to Scotland and the rest of the UK.

My understanding from the Norwegian people was that they do not like Germans too much. Something to do with the war and the fact they have never forgiven them. I was also told by numerous Norwegians that of all tourists, the Germans are the ones who contribute the least. Bringing everything with them (provisions). Leaving everything behind (rubbish).

But, I guess thats like saying all motorhomers dribble water !

:D

TM

(Basic Understanding and command of German Language who does like most Germans!)

Flatlander

Free Member
Sep 25, 2017
Funster No
Exp
Since I was a toddler.
Yes as @nicholsong said this has been aired before but a post from Facebook group RHEG, suggests the Norwegians won't be too interested from their end.

"Hello. We have been to a local and regional Tourism event where we asked a High ranking Norwegian Tourism Official about supporting a sea route to Norway. The response was very negative and she said the Norwegians are aiming at tourists from Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Holland, and English people are not a priority. Very disappointing!

In a way, that backs up a thought that I have been having since I read the article at the start of this thread.

Theres a saying that goes "to see the future, sometimes one must look back." If we look back to around June or July 1994 or so, one of the DFDS routes did stop for a while. Gothenburg to Newcastle if memory serves. OK, so its Sweden, not Norway! Back then, boat links between Sweden and the UK were considered so important that the case was actually taken up in the Swedish Parliament.

My reasoning is this. The ferry routes to Scandinavia were stopped around 2014 or so according to what I have read. As far as I know, neither the Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or even British governments have taken this up, and therefore no pressure has been put on the ferry operator by any of them. So I cant really see them being reinstated.

Even if just one route was brought into operation again, I cant really see which ports could be used. If it was say Hull, Newcastle, Aberdeen etc. those living in the south of England would not use them. If it was say Harwich or Felixstowe, northerners would not use them. The same would probably happen with Scandinavian residents. Bergen, Kristiansand is too far for those living in Denmark or Southern Sweden. Esbjerg to far south for those in Norway...So I guess its not going to happen.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
@Flatlander. This has been bandied about on RHEG about the choice of ports and of course it will be up to any would be operator to determine that, not a vote for the popular choice. The main thrust behind the group is the many members who have family in Sweden and Norway and to an extent Denmark who don't wish to take the long trek from the channel ports or, at best, Rotterdam or Amsterdam. For me to Hirtshals and the Faroes by car is a Thursday overnight to the Hook, a stopover around Kolding giving us long enough to reach Hirtshals for the 15.00 sailing on a Saturday, a 1000km journey. For those travelling further afield, longer of course. Given the cost of DFDS to Esbjerg in its day many travelling to Denmark may well opt for the journey by road but if I had the choice now for my Norway trip in the van I would take anything, Esbjerg, Hirtshals, Gothenburg or Kristiansand/Bergen any day. I think almost any departure point in the UK would attract those travelling to Sweden or Norway. I'd much rather drive 200 miles on UK roads, crowded as they may be, than the route through Holland and Northern Germany. But as you say it may never happen.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
There's only ever 2 good reasons for any business venture and they are profit and positive cash flow. Whether they come from the wallet of the unsuspecting taxpayer as a subsidy or by legitimate means does not matter as long as they come from somewhere.

If someone comes up with a promising business model you will get a ferry service, until then drive or don't go.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Another thing with the long road journey is none of us are getting any younger to take on the long haul by road. A couple of other things to mention is what many have said on RHEG, the cost of food on board is often prohibitive and since the loss of duty free sales the ferry routes depend on restaurant sales to boost income. All I want to do once on board, particularly overnight routes, is go to bed and get a good nights sleep ready for the next day so we take a kettle for tea, a meal of some sort to eat in the cabin and cereals for breakfast. Many others do that with inevitable consequences. I can't remember the older DFDS schedule now but since we lost our route to the Faroes from Scotland and started going via Denmark it was alternate days which meant we still had to spend a night on Jylland for the Saturday ferry which made the road route a less expensive option but that was when I was ten years younger. :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Would be great I am sure there would a good demand for it, say, a few times a month.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
Hmm, methinks I spot a begging bowl , sorry, I mean a crowdfunding opportunity.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The old DFDS route to Goteborg was never intended for tourist traffic. I used it every fortnight for over a year whilst doing a job to Vargarda. It was primarily a freight boat used for shipment of unaccompanied trailers. They were only licenced to carry 6 non crew members and they had to eat with the crew. Personally, I do not see it ever coming back as a tourist ferry, and it would be uneconomical now as a freight only ferry as many Scandinavian hauliers use eastern block drivers on minimum wages to transit the low countries.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Recent announcement from DFDS, perhaps they're slowly coming to the conclusion there is a need for passenger links, at a cost of course.

"It has been possible to sail as a private passenger on the Ghent – Gothenburg route for many years. "From 15 May 2018, we will also offer individuals the opportunity to sail as passengers on our cargo ships between Zeebrügge and Rosyth, alone or with their families and friends, and bringing their own car, motorbike, caravan or motorhome," says Sam de Wilde, MD in Ghent and Route Director. "

"Travelling on a freight vessel is the ultimate in slow travel: With 32 hours at sea en route to or from Sweden, and 23 hours to or from Scotland, passengers will arrive well rested, and will be able to enjoy life at sea from their cabin, from the dayroom or on a tour on the bridge with the crew, if time permits. All meals are included in the price; drinks are available at any time," he says.

Passengers can get more information on paxbookings.gent@dfds.com

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Recent announcement from DFDS, perhaps they're slowly coming to the conclusion there is a need for passenger links, at a cost of course.

"It has been possible to sail as a private passenger on the Ghent – Gothenburg route for many years. "From 15 May 2018, we will also offer individuals the opportunity to sail as passengers on our cargo ships between Zeebrügge and Rosyth, alone or with their families and friends, and bringing their own car, motorbike, caravan or motorhome," says Sam de Wilde, MD in Ghent and Route Director. "

"Travelling on a freight vessel is the ultimate in slow travel: With 32 hours at sea en route to or from Sweden, and 23 hours to or from Scotland, passengers will arrive well rested, and will be able to enjoy life at sea from their cabin, from the dayroom or on a tour on the bridge with the crew, if time permits. All meals are included in the price; drinks are available at any time," he says.

Passengers can get more information on paxbookings.gent@dfds.com
See post #18 above. Service just been pulled.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back