Ferry from Spain to UK (1 Viewer)

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
As you know, we want to go to England next summer holidays and we think is better to travel by ferry from Santander or Bilbao, because it's near Gijon, where we live.

Have you ever used it?

Do you know if there is electric connection to get the fridge working?

We're waiting for your answers:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thank you very much

Nacho and Yolanda

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, we have not done that crossing, we would go from Dover, and drive down, we will be heading that way in January, and take us 3 day's to Spain,less than that where you are in the nice part, we don't find the cost much different, but if time was an issue it may change things.:Smile: But there are many that do that crossing, its a bit like waiting for a bus,:winky: you might wait for ages............then they all come along together. You will have to decide on the time you have the cost may depend on where you want to go in England, if it was me and I wanted to go to Cornwall I would want a ferry to Plymouth, our country is not very big but it can take a long while when traveling.::bigsmile: Bob.

OP
OP
L

lavieyuca

Free Member
Jul 22, 2009
North of Spain
Funster No
Exp
Thank you, we think the cost is almost the same, but if go from spain we must drive only 200 km so we think when we arrive England we are going to be more rested than if we travel from Calais.Yolanda

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
::bigsmile: Hi Nacho and Yolanda. We have done BOTH of those crossing and they DO have Electirc hook up facilities because the Refrigerated Trucks use them. However, we have never asked if we could use the electric but have been told by others that they have. :thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
We have done it a few times,, nice entertainment on the ship,, Nice cabins on the new one,, And as others have said their is electric hook up,, but we used to wack ours up full a few hours before embarking and because the vehicle/transport decks are not heated and the frodge/freezer is not opened during the crossing, we have never had any problems with defrosting.. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
In regards to the fridge, a friend of mine recently done the same trip and he had a compressor fridge, when he arrived in Spain his battery was more or less flat but he did not know it, so the moral of the story is, if you have a compressor fridge, turn it off or plug some power in.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Santander - Plymouth Ferry Fares

On my trip earlier this year I found that the return fare to the UK quoted in Spain was nearly £100 more expensive than I got by booking on-line to Brittany Ferries UK site - even the reception clerk at Santander was quite shocked!

Worth checking both from your end when booking I think.

Enjoy your trip.

BW :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back