Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Good morning all.

Next year will see a much delayed trip to Portugal, through Spain (early May-ish). So.... the idea is to take the BF Portsmouth- Santander route (return)..... How much ?????? At first I thought I'd made a mistake so tried it with a 'one - way' adaptation and realised it was 'no mistake !'.
We normally use the Tunnel travelling around France (with Tesco vouchers) so was taken aback at the cost of the ferry.
So, having read a fair bit on the Forum, I thought I would investigate joining the Club Voyage to access this 'discount, booking code thingy'..... :whatthe::whatthe: what's with the £100 registration cost and it doesn't give discount on the cabins ?? This will be the only time using the ferry this year so it wouldn't be worth cost, and an amount that could be used toward the cost of the tolls :reel:

Now, I realise it's a longer journey, mini cruise, treat it as a part of the holiday, etc but it was still a shock.
Please say I made a mistake :pray:
p.s. I also have a fridge question but will ask on a separate thread as this one is so long !!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The price frightens us as well:LOL: being for Yorkshire Mrs funfair says, BUT the other thing is the thought of being stuck on the boat if the weather is bad, neither of us are good sea travellers and the thought of the van getting damaged would keep me awake.

We drive from Zeebrugge(y)

Martin

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Very much dependant on the spare time you have and how quickly you need to get there. I used the ferry last year and it was great, granted it's expensive. But if you factor in fuel, stop overs, tolls (if you use them) and wear and tare on the motorhome it works out almost cost neutral (did with the 550GBP one way I paid) I also had a more relaxing time. I drove back through France because I had the time. But given the choice if my time was limited I would use the ferry.

As for fridge, pre-empting your question - They will provide hook up but very much dependant on amount of requests and where you are located. On one crossing I had insulin in the fridge for the Dog and explained to the loading officer who made it priority to give us hook up. You cannot for obvious reasons leave the fridge on gas.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Whilst using BF and club Voyage membership has brought the cost down significantly, there is, IMO a significant cost saving when driving down France as opposed to taking the Ferry to Spain or even part way into France. I note you make reference to toll costs, yet these can be avoided whilst still using mostly Dual carriageway/motorways. You may find these recommendations below of some use.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is for an award winning database about France. It’s big and with a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. The whole route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large.

https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm

Tolls: We avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.

At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (about 2.50 euros). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.

To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (Fuel costs approx. €126.72. (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.20 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.

If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last tollbooth and crossing the river. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.

https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm

If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.

https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm

Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.

https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app

There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00

https://www.park4night.com/

Finally, probably the best off line maps ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.

Broken Link Removed

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Very much dependant on the spare time you have and how quickly you need to get there. I used the ferry last year and it was great, granted it's expensive. But if you factor in fuel, stop overs, tolls (if you use them) and wear and tare on the motorhome it works out almost cost neutral (did with the 550GBP one way I paid)
I appreciate taking the Ferry to Spain is about personal preference and when all said and done it's an individual choice. However, I have see replies from other's too, about the wear and tear costs associated with the journey, say from Calais to Irun and I'm at a loss as to how people calculate this. I do accept their is a wear and tear cost in addition to the fuel and the only factor I can figure in, is some tyre wear. As I see it, vehicle maintenance is performed on both time and distance and it's unlikely that a bi-annual service is not going to be enough due to the amount of miles driven within a two year service period and therefore, the service will be undertaken regardless of the trip. Engines are good for 200,000 miles plus and tyres are every 5 years minimum. So, in my world, my Heath Robinson calculations tell me that wear and tear on a journey of around 700 miles is insignificant ! However, this being FUN you just know someone is going to produce a detailed calculation on how wear and tear should be calculated and the actual cost on the above journey.........Which I welcome.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I appreciate taking the Ferry to Spain is about personal preference and when all said and done it's an individual choice. However, I have see replies from other's too, about the wear and tear costs associated with the journey, say from Calais to Irun and I'm at a loss as to how people calculate this. I do accept their is a wear and tear cost in addition to the fuel and the only factor I can figure in, is some tyre wear. As I see it, vehicle maintenance is performed on both time and distance and it's unlikely that a bi-annual service is not going to be enough due to the amount of miles driven within a two year service period and therefore, the service will be undertaken regardless of the trip. Engines are good for 200,000 miles plus and tyres are every 5 years minimum. So, in my world, my Heath Robinson calculations tell me that wear and tear on a journey of around 700 miles is insignificant ! However, this being FUN you just know someone is going to produce a detailed calculation on how wear and tear should be calculated and the actual cost on the above journey.........Which I welcome.

I was merely trying to make a calculation of all associated costs whilst driving through France to allow a comparison with the cost of the ferry. Therefore, whether a true substantiation of the cost can be obtained or not it must be brought to the calculation. In my case the cost of tolls alone would have covered the ferry cost given my van I had at the time was above 3m.
As you rightly say very much personal choice, but the OP was asking opinions and that is what has been given regardless of the "minuscule" amount of wear and tear and in ability to substantiate it, more importantly the OP is now aware of it.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
For us the drive down through France and back is a very enjoyable part of the trip.
Of course, it all depends on the amount of time available but if you are retired like us it takes as long as it takes.
We drive for a couple of days, aiming to arrive at a nice aire early afternoon, and then stop for a couple of nights before driving for a couple of more days. It makes for a pleasant and interesting journey without feeling knackered before you arrive in Portugal/Spain or wherever.
May is usually a lovely time to be travelling south and there is far too much to see and enjoy, plus lovely aires to stop at, rather than rushing and seeing nothing.

Richard.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
could just be miles that make the differance .
i live near plymouth . to drive to dover is about 350 miles so there and back 700 add that to the drive through france and part of spain it comes well over 2,000mls . at 16-17 mpg it adds up.
mind even my mate from fortwilliam reckons it works out about equal for him . although plymouth is further in uk , it still equals out in cost.
mind i,m a club voyage member and he is the associate .
could be that over the ten years of having my truck i have saved 20,000mls .
mind i first became into ferry to spain years ago. i found travelling through france in november wet,cold and lots trees blown down or rivers over flowing . ferry to santander 20hrs and fresh as a daisy ready for spain.
i can say coming back in april france is lovelly but these days i,m in galecia and cantarbria and love it there as well. last winter was great, it was the warmest driest winter in weather history there . we went back up early late feb it was fantastic weather . far better than on the med . well last winter the med towns were well flooded at times .
also depends when you go away as well.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I was merely trying to make a calculation of all associated costs whilst driving through France to allow a comparison with the cost of the ferry. Therefore, whether a true substantiation of the cost can be obtained or not it must be brought to the calculation. In my case the cost of tolls alone would have covered the ferry cost given my van I had at the time was above 3m.
As you rightly say very much personal choice, but the OP was asking opinions and that is what has been given regardless of the "minuscule" amount of wear and tear and in ability to substantiate it, more importantly the OP is now aware of it.
Understood! I was not challenging your post, just picking up on the wear and tear aspect as I have come across this many times before but never given it any consideration. Your post helped me focus my mind a little on that aspect and I was more or less thinking out loud with my response.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Oh, to add to my previous post:-
The only time we use French tolls is to cross the border to Spain.
Even then it goes against the grain but it does make for an easier crossing with less traffic and busy junctions.

Richard.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We're in the "enjoy the drive" camp, but any way Bren won't even consider the ferry (have to almost sedate her for the Morocco crossing!) plus thoughts about the dog. We avoid toll roads as well, but agree with Richard the last bit of the A63 across the border is well worth the small cost - a 10min trip on the motorway has on occasion taken us an hour and a half!

Last winter we tried the Somport Tunnel route and thought it much better. However we did use the tunnel in the morning (apparently after lunch it gets a bit hairy with oncoming trucks) and of course there was no snow about. It was a bit cold though!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Yes, the Spain ferry is quite expensive but it is convenient as stewartwebr has indicated. We use the tunnel a lot - we are a partner on a frequent traveller account - which is ideal if going to France or Germany etc. But to go to the Algarve or southern Spain, the long ferry crossing works really well, especially if time is not unlimited. And as you suggested, we treat it as part of the holiday - a cabin with a private balcony on the Pont Aven helps. (y)

If you are going in May, check out the crossings from Plymouth to Santander, much shorter time at sea I believe and therefore your fridge should cope better without power, provided it's been fully chilled down before you go. Bottles of water frozen in advance make handy ice packs.

Nov 6, 2012
Guildford
Funster No
MH
3litre Bessacarr 765
Exp
Restarted 2012
Again this year we did the Tunnel/Costa Blanca/Tunnel route. However, due to inclement weather both ways through France it became a drag and not enjoyable. Next year we have booked Portsmouth/Bilbao/Portsmouth at £1,100. We reckon the extra £300 cost will be well worth it. 3 frozen 4 pint bottles of milk in the fridge should help keep it cool enough during the crossing. We have had good and really bad crossings across the bay on the Pride of Bilbao in the past so we know what to expect.

OP
OP
LAM

LAM

Apr 23, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Welcome
Exp
Began with the purchase of our first, ever MH in 2014
Wow, thank you all for such a mine of information. I'm going with the 'frozen liquid' idea for the fridge (obviously, not alcohol :rolleyes: !) and shop when we get to Spain. Think I read (somewhere) there is a Lidle near Santander where we'll probably spend the night before making our way down the map.
We've bitten the bullet and want to spend a few weeks travelling around Portugal and then take our time to make our way through Spain back to the ferry.
Only a few months to try and learn some of the language :unsure:;).
Thanks again

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Wow, thank you all for such a mine of information. I'm going with the 'frozen liquid' idea for the fridge (obviously, not alcohol :rolleyes: !) and shop when we get to Spain. Think I read (somewhere) there is a Lidle near Santander where we'll probably spend the night before making our way down the map.
We've bitten the bullet and want to spend a few weeks travelling around Portugal and then take our time to make our way through Spain back to the ferry.
Thanks again

There is a nice Aire next to a lake at Cabarceno - about 25 mins. from Santander port. Very calm and relaxing.

Geoff

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Road miles are cheaper than sea miles.

If it was us it would be an early Dover - Calais ferry (c.£50), then a long drive south to Parc Futuroscope's aire. Next day to Anglet aire, with a few hours R&R on the beach late afternoon, and the morning after that we'd be over the border into Spain near San Sebastian and in Santander by lunchtime. Two and a half days from Dover, total aire fees no more than 20 Euros, plus fuel and tolls. However it's understood that cost saving isn't everything.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Road miles are cheaper than sea miles.

If it was us it would be an early Dover - Calais ferry (c.£50), then a long drive south to Parc Futuroscope's aire. Next day to Anglet aire, with a few hours R&R on the beach late afternoon, and the morning after that we'd be over the border into Spain near San Sebastian and in Santander by lunchtime. Two and a half days from Dover, total aire fees no more than 20 Euros, plus fuel and tolls. However it's understood that cost saving isn't everything.
That sounds like hard work. When we were going down towards Spain/Portugal this September the weather was lovely in France. It took us over 2 enjoyable weeks to get to Santander. Mind you was quicker on the way back.

Reactions: LAM
Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We did our booking early. Our crossing next Sept Portsmouth/ Bilbao returning Oct cost us £ 780 all in. Not cheap I know but after this years trip through France (crap weather) into Spain/Portugal I feel the extra cost is worth it.
Phil

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Excluding the couple of days with Funster friends at St Valery Sur Somme, we did Calais to Calpe in 9 x enjoyable days a few weeks ago.
A few years ago, we did it in 5.5 days, and said, never again. :(

Neither of us are very good with rough sea crossings, so would rather not take that chance on the Bay of Biscay. :( This coming January, will be our first winter drive to the sun. I'm hoping that we won't regret it the journey. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
The best bit about taking the ferry is missing France completely.

What’s not to like?

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
That sounds like hard work. When we were going down towards Spain/Portugal this September the weather was lovely in France. It took us over 2 enjoyable weeks to get to Santander. Mind you was quicker on the way back.

Each to their own. Last time we drove to Spain in only 2.5 days by road the whole purpose of the trip was to visit Spain, not France. We can dawdle round France with the best of them if we're visiting France, but sometimes you have to crack on. Personally I'd find more than two hours on a ferry hard work, and I don't even get seasick. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks again
Just make sure everything is cold in the fridge before you set off - for example fill it the night before and run it on gas or EHU overnight. A bottle of frozen milk in the door and say a frozen supper such as a lasagne for the first evening will ensure everything stays cool in there.

Don't forget the whale watching - we saw two sperm whales once but dolphins should be around. The best time is when the ship is in the Bay of Biscay.

Enjoy - I'll be booking our Plymouth/Santander ticket soon as we are going back to Spain for the autumn next year for another visit to Galicia and if the weather is good into Portugal and finish somewhere sunny in the south. :)

PS. It is still worth joining Club Voyage even with the joining fee - there will still be a saving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back