Ferry crossing. How accurate do I need to be with my length!! (1 Viewer)

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
I have been checked by Brittany Ferrys with both the last motorhome (it was deceptive in length) and have had the car and caravan checked with what looked like a guardsman's pace stick.
Two years ago the motorhome in front of me was charged extra after the had misjudged the length of their van.

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
Must admit I always cheat on length, we are 8m.
Got away with it on say 20 crossings.
Just once been measured, it was at Dover, DFDS, has to pay an extra £25 I think it was, and trying to find the shed to pay at was a RIGHT pain.

I do apologise to anybody not allowed on the same ferry as me coz I cheated. :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2014
Emsworth
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
We get measured every time we travel with Braittany ferries. Two girls and tape measure normally. We are only 27' 4" but for some reason look a lot longer
I'm the same Jim, luckily for me my wife doesn't understand inches.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
book direct with DFDS they only ask reg number and length.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We're lucky.
Because our wagon doesn't have flat panels it strangely looks smaller than it actually is. It's about 6.8Mts without the bike rack and, if we weren't using the rack would still be under the 7.00Mts but we do use the rack which takes us to about 7.20 but we've never been challenged.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We're 6and 3/4 M so we always put 7M, they charge to the nearest metre up.
But it's the Ht. that I think is mega important. One year a loading guy asked if we were positive with our Ht before directing us to park under a pipe that you would have struggled to get a piece of paper between us and it.
As far as smutty goes, try, like I did, and ask what to do with a cucumber, (a greenhouse glut):LOL:

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
been twice with dfds. you can only book up to 10metres on the form, so thats what i put.

we are 10.4 metres and never been stopped or measured.

also book late or early crossings and they are not bothered about you, just drive on

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I cannot say that this will always work, but I have travelled with many ferry companies. We are 7.3m and I always book the up to 7m ticket, never had a problem yet ;-)
Well it is NOT 8 metres is it?????

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Came back with Britanny Ferries a couple of months ago and queued in line after check in waiting to board. We had booked the correct 7.4m length plus a bike rack. Two jobsworth French employees came along and measured our length with a tape and then got a rigid rule and measured our height. They said we were too long and put us in the naughty lane by ourselves. The whole car park was emptied before we, getting worried, were allowed to board. Net result was we boarded last and ended up in a big space with a few lorries around a good result. Couldn't work out their problem having described everything accurately when booking. Proves with BF at least you need to be honest as they do check.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Last crossing from Portsmouth, the lady on the booth put a traffic cone at the front of my van and used a measuring tape to check the length.
Coming back at Santander they were randomly checking with a measuring wheel which you push on a stick.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back