Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
I've taken the plunge and booked my ferry crossing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg at beginning of September on the fast crossing (you have to reverse aboard so the reversing camera on my van will come in handy!).
I already had a voucher from Brittany Ferries due to having to cancel my crossing in April due to mum's death - still awaiting result of police investigation so no inquest yet, but I can't hang around waiting for that for ever, so I've had to appoint a legal representative to be notified and attend - not cheap but it frees me from forever waiting and also she'll know what to ask.
So I phoned their bookings office and spoke to a lovely lady who basically turned into my travel agent and managed to use up all of my voucher aside from £1 ! She's organised for me to cross as described, but to return from Roscoff in Brittany to Plymouth, longer crossing but once I arrive only an hour from home, and I've got a cabin on that boat because it's a longer crossing in the evening. That will save me spending a night in Portsmouth or Poole.
Have found some cheap guidebooks on amazon and ebay to historical sites in France from Roman to Medieval, the idea being now I haven't got the dog I'll be able to visit all those places where having a pet makes it difficult. I'm also confident that my little van will be able to reach them all without becoming stuck fast down a French lane - if she can reach places down Cornish and Devon lanes then France won't be a problem!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Have a good trip, we have booked our ferry but not until November 12th.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Good news I hope you are going to do a blog like you did of the uk ! I really loved the photos of the scenery and food !

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Good news I hope you are going to do a blog like you did of the uk ! I really loved the photos of the scenery and food !
When I return I'll get some stuff up on here. At the moment the internet access on the go is one of my budget cuts to make this trip affordable, I'll only have a bog standard phone for emergencies I'm afraid. Sorry.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
When I return I'll get some stuff up on here. At the moment the internet access on the go is one of my budget cuts to make this trip affordable, I'll only have a bog standard phone for emergencies I'm afraid. Sorry.
Never mind I can wait. We are the same not sure about what internet access to use on holidays yet!

OP
OP
roadster55

roadster55

Free Member
Apr 15, 2016
Deepest Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
On and off for 20 years
Never mind I can wait. We are the same not sure about what internet access to use on holidays yet!
I'm usually so knackered by the end of the day that after a cuppa and a bite to eat, I just climb into the sleeping bag and pass out - probably keeping any other vans nearby awake with my snoring!

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
It's a great crossing. Did it last year and would do it again :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Also booked ferries for our autumn trip taking in 2 motoGPs

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
We've just booked with Brittany using our Club Voyage card.
November, Plymouth-Roscoff out, Ret February, St Malo-Plymouth at a very good £226.

One thing I did notice was that there are very few ferries returning to Plymouth on a DAY SAILING this winter. The St Malo ferry was the only one between December and March.
Loads of them if you're happy to have a night sailing and pay for a cabin, (who would want a 'Reserved Seat'). The night sailings were more expensive anyway.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back