Ferry booked for first trip to France EVER !! (1 Viewer)

Oct 25, 2014
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs A 7870-2
Exp
Newbie, caravanner since 2008
Jealous when anyone mentions ferries. I have very fond memories of using the Harwich to Hoek van Holland route. Every year I try to push for an alternative to the 'Tunnel' but HWMBO always wins with the argument that its much more expensive (and he might feel sick :rolleyes:). Of course now that is even cheaper and we'll be crossing in a MH, I think I've got a better chance of winning the lottery than this challenge. I hate it when he's right! :mad:
My only revenge will be watching him having to stick to speed limits (mainly due to the laws of physics, haha) and not being able to overtake everything on the road. :D
Have a great time jaykay!

Upvote 0

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
France also a delight to free/wildcamp too. Love the place. Spain good also but just a tad behind France. Except for the weather of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I guess your going during school holidays. No idea where your heading but northern France, Brittany etc..can be pretty miserable weather wise with not much open at that time. As someone said a quick dash to Loire or south a bit may be more enjoyable.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I guess your going during school holidays. No idea where your heading but northern France, Brittany etc..can be pretty miserable weather wise with not much open at that time. As someone said a quick dash to Loire or south a bit may be more enjoyable.....
I agree, we were already thinking head south and see if we can find some nice weather.

Upvote 0

SteveG

Free Member
Dec 22, 2014
NW England
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We too are off to Calais for first MH trip to France but in May for 3 weeks. We've always booked places when we've toured in the past but plan to go booking free (apart from ferry) and get into the Aires thing got the new Aires book, there look to be some crackers

Upvote 0

Kiwi68

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Kent, England
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584 A-Class 1994
Exp
Since 2011
We went for the first time in 2012 and loved it. We manged to spend 12 weeks away, mostly at aires which are great. It was our first big trip in a motorhome so a big learning curve but wouldn't have missed it. In April we're off to Spain and Portugal. Have a ball.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
We have booked the ferry first week May. Last time over there was with caravan 20+ years ago. Now with MH and return booked early July. Hope to make Spain but nothing booked and in no hurry. Will just wander around and see.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Agreed , UK of no interest to us anymore
We keep thinking we should tour the UK, but just the thought of having to actually plan where to stay, puts us off!
Then there's the cost of fuel and sites......:(
Enjoy your trip over to France jakay, you know it makes sense........
Allan

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We keep thinking we should tour the UK, but just the thought of having to actually plan where to stay, puts us off!
Allan
Plan & Motorhome two words that don't go together.:D

Since changing from tugging nearly 7 years ago virtually given up on the UK, it just doesn't work with a Motorhome, now just the odd weekend away, odd visit to the new Forest and a few vintage dance/music festivals.

Upvote 0

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Sounds great - enjoy - hope to be following towards the end of this year :)

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
It's like your 1st real kiss, you'll never forget it!
I recall in 1994 driving off the ferry with a 500 mile journey ahead, wife and 2 kids and never driven abroad before.
Loved France ever since.
FURTHER:
Ensure you have full gas bottles. You can drink the tap water, we use the tank for washing but fill 20 litre plastic bottles for drinking. Weird we found, we drink French tap water, they don't !

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Allan

There is so much to see in the UK - have you looked at BritStops?

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Although I said we had virtually given up on the UK as we have decided to fully retire in the next few months, we have been thinking of trying it.

We would do if we had more free weekends - the UK has so much and we look forward to having time to explore :)

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have only done the UK so far, we are off to Europe in July/ August for the first time ever. We have found touring the UK ok as long as you like planning. We can only go in school holidays so need to plan anyway. Iam looking forward to being able to stop easier in towns/shops etc. :)

Upvote 0

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
we too avoid the UK, we find it cheaper and easier to go over the water,,, i wont stay in rip off britain..although having said that we're going to moreton in marsh CC for the half term hols. Then going to france for easter 2 weeks, probably down to Carcasonne or where ever the sun is.
we fancied the Alsace again but may be a bit cold at easter.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We would do if we had more free weekends - the UK has so much and we look forward to having time to explore :)
That's our problem, this year already committed to over 16 weeks away Europe & long haul plus a few festivals.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have only done the UK so far, we are off to Europe in July/ August for the first time ever. We have found touring the UK ok as long as you like planning. We can only go in school holidays so need to plan anyway. Iam looking forward to being able to stop easier in towns/shops etc. :)
Gave up planning when we gave up tugging, if we find a nice village stop the night then move on to the next village and stop, not possible in the UK.
Sometimes don't even know where we are going when we are on the ferry. First trip in our first Motorhome we were heading for the Baltic Coast of Germany, weather was rubbish in Belgium and forecasts poor so we turned right ended up in Slovenia, that's what makes Motorhoming so great.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Gave up planning when we gave up tugging, if we find a nice village stop the night then move on to the next village and stop, not possible in the UK.
Sometimes don't even know where we are going when we are on the ferry. First trip in our first Motorhome we were heading for the Baltic Coast of Germany, weather was rubbish in Belgium and forecasts poor so we turned right ended up in Slovenia, that's what makes Motorhoming so great.

Very true! Number of times we've moved on due to the weather but we always seem to end up in one of two places, they're like bloody magnets....Arles or Gavarnie................love em. French sticks still warm and pain au raisin............jeez I wish I was going tomorrow. Vive la France:france:

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Visited Arles last September didn't think much of the Aire but found a nice one just down the road at Fontvieille. We bounced back to the same place the last two years, the Camargue, the other one we love is the Massive Central had to stop on the way home last year and do a 10 mile ridge hike from Le Loiren to the top of Puy Mary & back, great day out.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There is so much to see in the UK - have you looked at BritStops?
We have the Britstops book, but we spent a weekend looking for somewhere to stay last year ( summer) in the UK and all the stops we fancied were either full, had no parking due to events or no one answered the phone / got back to us after we left a message. Sort of put us off.
But, before my daughter was born ( 1991) we used to have a VW camper, among others, and toured England and Wales till we wore it out. I think we saw most of what we wanted to see then, everywhere is just bigger and busier now, and supermarket car parks are difficult to get in generally.
I remember spending 6 weeks in France in 1990 using municipal sites and wild camping in a Ford CI Coachbuilt. We were welcomed all over France and went everywhere with no problems. On the way back up to Coventry from Portsmouth, we tried to stop at 3 supermarkets to stock up on food, but there were height barriers on all the car parks.
It was then we made the decision to give the UK a miss in future. Glad we did!
Allan

Upvote 0

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We have the Britstops book, but we spent a weekend looking for somewhere to stay last year ( summer) in the UK and all the stops we fancied were either full, had no parking due to events or no one answered the phone / got back to us after we left a message. Sort of put us off.
But, before my daughter was born ( 1991) we used to have a VW camper, among others, and toured England and Wales till we wore it out. I think we saw most of what we wanted to see then, everywhere is just bigger and busier now, and supermarket car parks are difficult to get in generally.
I remember spending 6 weeks in France in 1990 using municipal sites and wild camping in a Ford CI Coachbuilt. We were welcomed all over France and went everywhere with no problems. On the way back up to Coventry from Portsmouth, we tried to stop at 3 supermarkets to stock up on food, but there were height barriers on all the car parks.
It was then we made the decision to give the UK a miss in future. Glad we did!
Allan

Shame about the Britstops destinations and interesting re the supermarket height barriers - we haven't had many issues. I agree that France is more motorhome friendly and we have been every year for the last 4 or so but for a week or fortnight holiday, we have yet to get bored of the UK and have recently fallen for the inner Hebrides - Mull and Skye are pretty amazing.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
>> Ferry booked for.........

for our 20th ( approx ) trip to Italy (y)

Taking in, France for sure then something like Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria.

You like Italy then!!!! We are trying it this year for first time in the van after 12 years of Spain and France. Been on a couple of package hols to Italy but not the same as using the van.BUSBY:)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You like Italy then!!!!.BUSBY:)

Can't explain it. We arrived on Maggiore and just fell in love with the place. The beautiful lakeside villas. The people. Everything.

Not keen on Rome. The Forum and Colosseum are a must, Vatican OK, but otherwise a-big-city.

Pisa, Florence real character. Sorrento, magic tourist trap. Amalfi coast, a feast for the eyes.

And much more we haven't seen yet.

Upvote 0

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
When you get to Calais toss a coin - Heads right or Tails left. One way will take you south along the coast through the Smme bay to Normandy and Brittany or further south, the other will take you east toward Charleville Mezieres, Verdun and Riems and beyond.
Whichever, it'll be fab.
We've done that a few times. No real plans, just a list of aire (All The Aires book or the Campingcar infos list of aires on your satnav)
Mike and Annie:cool::)

Upvote 0

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
JayKay, I'll be fascinated to hear your thoughts when you return. I am awaiting delivery of my first MH and fully intend a trip to France in the near future, but as I've never driven a motorhome nor driven abroad I've a steep learning curve. Having said that every MH person/couple I have spoken to has encouraged me to buy one and has sung the praises of France and its people, so I'm looking forward to it. Have a great trip.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
JayKay, I'll be fascinated to hear your thoughts when you return. I am awaiting delivery of my first MH and fully intend a trip to France in the near future, but as I've never driven a motorhome nor driven abroad I've a steep learning curve. Having said that every MH person/couple I have spoken to has encouraged me to buy one and has sung the praises of France and its people, so I'm looking forward to it. Have a great trip.
I will certainly post my thoughts and findings when we return. I have only driven our motorhome once and will have another go before we set off for Dover so certainly no expert. The advice I have had is just to do it, and that's what I intend to do. Getting excited now!

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
JK I am really looking forward to hearing about your travels, but slightly troubled by your last post, have you really not even tried the MH overnight somewhere? I would say that's a must, even if only on your own drive

France isn't far but it will seem an awful long way from home if you find something critical doesn't work

Sorry if this sounds slightly negative, but it will be so much better for your confidence to know all works as should, where things are, storage options etc etc

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back