Ferry and Tunnel. (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The ferry companies, including Brittany Ferries. Will take your booking.

You cannot enter Spain unless,

You Have a negative Covid PCR test within 72 hours.

And are A Spanish National or a resident.

BF will tell you in their blurb, that you will require a valid passport etc, but are not, or were not informing you of the aforementioned residence/Spanish National requirement.

They have said, they will contact passengers who are booked on a sailing if it’s not going ahead.

Scenario could be:

Passengers spend £100 + on a Covid test, travel to port and then discover they cannot travel.

BF keep the fare !

Unfair.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Were booked on the tunnel 08:20 27/12/2020 to travel from France to the UK been stuck over in France so fingers crossed. Have self isolated for over 4 weeks had no contact with anyone, followed all the rules. In a motorhome so will not need any outside services except one stop for fuel. Gloves, masks, gel all at the ready. More worried for the lorry drivers who have been stuck

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
So glad I dont run a fridge anymore. 2 weeks up to christmas was a big earner even running down empty to Spain to pick up loads of citrus. Used to pay blinding money, not so much in recent times but the money some firms are losing must be phenomenal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They are accepting bookings but don't you think they should have added that you can only land in France if you have had a Covid Test.BUSBY.
Trouble is that they would have to ensure the website was kept up to date constantly with any changing situations that may be brought in, if people rely on this and ET don't update it the minute it changes and someone books without knowing they won't be allowed in, would ET be 'liable'? Can you imagine the list of 'bumph' you'd have to read through if they had to put details of every 'criteria' you had to meet before you could book?

I think they have enough to do with running their business without having to have info on their website for those who don't bother to check out their OWN situation first ... its no different to someone making sure they have a valid passport, should ET also mention this on their website?

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
The ferry companies, including Brittany Ferries. Will take your booking.

You cannot enter Spain unless,

You Have a negative Covid PCR test within 72 hours.

And are A Spanish National or a resident.

BF will tell you in their blurb, that you will require a valid passport etc, but are not, or were not informing you of the aforementioned residence/Spanish National requirement.

They have said, they will contact passengers who are booked on a sailing if it’s not going ahead.

Scenario could be:

Passengers spend £100 + on a Covid test, travel to port and then discover they cannot travel.

BF keep the fare !

Unfair.
Understand, but then its not really BFs fault is it?

Apr 29, 2019
Dover, Kent
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper, Corilliam
Exp
since 2002
I would leave any crossing from Dover or Folkestone for at least a week,It will take this long to clear, Living in Dover all roads are blocked for miles around they only show you on tv the main roads not the local area, I can not go to any shops [not that i won't to], Happy Christmas to you all.

Apr 1, 2018
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
A/S Corinium RB
I work local to Dover and couldn’t believe there were campervans, Motorhomes and caravaners queuing in amongst all the trucks miles from the docks. I suppose there’s a possibility they didn’t realise they were in the queue. I can’t imagine being desperate enough to queue for an unknown amount of time to cross the channel over the Christmas period.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It surprised me that only 23 lorry drivers have tested positive out of over 2000, travelling not the culprit of spreading coronavirus it seems
If that's lateral flow tests they can be up to 50%false negative. There will also be some incubating who might not yet show on tests and probably given the conditions they have been existing in the past few days some very recently infected.
23 in 2000 is still 1150 per 100,000 its not a really small number.

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It surprised me that only 23 lorry drivers have tested positive out of over 2000, travelling not the culprit of spreading coronavirus it seems
Immune to everything that is thrown at them..Cannot remember getting ill when I was on the road,,Not been right since I packed up.😁😉BUSBY.

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If that's lateral flow tests they can be up to 50%false negative. There will also be some incubating who might not yet show on tests and probably given the conditions they have been existing in the past few days some very recently infected.
But they have not been able to isolate which is what the majority of the rest of us are supposed to have been doing..BUSBY.

Jul 3, 2019
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
And an equal amount that can be a false positive, 87% in Spanish hospitals who had this test had no Covid antibodies

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And an equal amount that can be a false positive, 87% in Spanish hospitals who had this test had no Covid antibodies
I think you said that before about PCR tests which was it?
In terms of testing is it more important if tests aren't 100% accurate to minimise the number inconvenienced by unnecessary isolation or minimise the number told they are safe when they aren't who go on to infect others.
I think shutting down the channel crossing was never going to contain the new covid variant but if the tables were turned I would want it slowed as much as possible

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Can you provide a link to that study. The one I found that mentioned 87% was pcr tests its a bit out of date in July and the results weren't quite as you quoted!!!
Is it from a slightly sceptical of the pandemic site?

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
Immune to everything that is thrown at them..Cannot remember getting ill when I was on the road,,Not been right since I packed up.😁😉BUSBY.
Too right Busby, as an employed driver you darent take any time off sick cause you never knew who would have your motor and all your gear is in the cab, but likewise, if you're an owner driver, you can't just take a sicky cause you may not get any more work after being marked as unreliable.

I can quite honestly say that in 36 years of driving I've only ever taken time off for bereavement. Even now, if I came over all covid while out on the road, I'd make sure I finished the job I was doing before parking up and declaring myself unable to work.

It's a trait that drivers have, well, "old school" drivers anyway, cause drivers mentalities have changed in recent years what with employment legislation etc.

OP
OP
B
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Too right Busby, as an employed driver you darent take any time off sick cause you never knew who would have your motor and all your gear is in the cab, but likewise, if you're an owner driver, you can't just take a sicky cause you may not get any more work after being marked as unreliable.

I can quite honestly say that in 36 years of driving I've only ever taken time off for bereavement. Even now, if I came over all covid while out on the road, I'd make sure I finished the job I was doing before parking up and declaring myself unable to work.

It's a trait that drivers have, well, "old school" drivers anyway, cause drivers mentalities have changed in recent years what with employment legislation etc.
I did have two weeks off once when I dislocated my shoulder,,BUSBY.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
yes they are low numbers and that is part of the fiddle on the numbers were given - its actually 1.15% but ONS et al display it at 1150/100,000 much more dramatic isnt it!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
yes they are low numbers and that is part of the fiddle on the numbers were given - its actually 1.15% but ONS et al display it at 1150/100,000 much more dramatic isnt it!
What would you call a big number one that was impressive then?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I'm not after being impressed, I would prefer to keep things in context. Why do you think they chose x/100,000 and not x/10,000? or a smaller number?
Because its a sensible measure to use. It wouldn't matter if they just used an index like they do describing the incidence in tiers. The rate in the lorry drivers might be " only .......%" what would be the resulting deaths over the UK as a whole at that rate? Aren't those people significant?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
You can see why they were worried
If many more cases are discovered and traced to the UK it does look like the variant originated here.
It all originated from China, its now the third time and about time something was done about it.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Because its a sensible measure to use. It wouldn't matter if they just used an index like they do describing the incidence in tiers. The rate in the lorry drivers might be " only .......%" what would be the resulting deaths over the UK as a whole at that rate? Aren't those people significant?
How is it a sensible measure? Anything else is expressed as a percentage.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
How is it a sensible measure? Anything else is expressed as a percentage.
Try thinking of it this way. It's roughly 3 times the covid incidence in the UK which logically would result in three times the deaths about 1500 a day. It's way above the level where we introduced quarantine on return from Europe I think the rate for that was less than 100 per 100,000. How is it insignificant or a con. Maybe they don't use percentages because people can't understand how serious things would be and more would behave like idiots?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I don't know where the 23 out of 2000 came from Grant Shaps says 24 out of 10,000 that sounds more believable and not far off the UK overall in fact probably lower given they have tested all of them and the population figures are an estimate. Although it is the less accurate tests.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Try thinking of it this way. It's roughly 3 times the covid incidence in the UK which logically would result in three times the deaths about 1500 a day. It's way above the level where we introduced quarantine on return from Europe I think the rate for that was less than 100 per 100,000. How is it insignificant or a con. Maybe they don't use percentages because people can't understand how serious things would be and more would behave like idiots?
AFAICS most people get that 1% is one in a hundred.
Its a lot simpler than your justification

Hope you had a nice xmas btw. Jon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back