Ferry Advice (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I drive to Spain twice a year but I am fed up with tolls, speeding fines and fuel prices in France. I am now considering getting the ferry to Spain. Can any of you seasoned travellers give me some advice on which ferries and routes I should look at. Thanks in advance. Steve

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
Brittany Ferries is your only option, they have the "Normal" service on the Cap Finistere or the "economie" no frills service on a boat that they took over from P and O (I think). I always go on the "Normal" service nice cabin and excellent meals in the a la carte restaurant..

I see your only a few miles away from me on Anglesey so the boat works out well leaves Portsmouth at 1700hrs and docks in Santander 1730hrs the following evening. I sleep in the freeby aire in Santander and then drive on the next day.

HTH

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Do you get a lot of speeding fines...? They have penalties in the uk for speeding too. You could always take the non toll route and diesel in France is the same price as the uk if not a bit cheaper.
But happy travels on your boat, it will be like a mini cruise...?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The economy sailing is a partly open deck. I’m just pricing up for coming home in April and found out last night that our next door neighbours here in a caravan get a cheaper rate than our Moho even though their 3mtrs longer than us in total. We tried it all different ways, different dates and times and a car and caravan always came up cheaper?

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
The most cost effective route to Spain from the UK is from Calais to Irun. and is detailed below. Some member on here swear by the Ferries direct to Spain and some who have tried have said never again as a result of a nightmare crossing due to rough seas. Tolls can be very expensive but avoided and non toll motorways and Duel carriageways used instead. Fines for speeding are only given to those who speed and get caught.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).
https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm
Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.
At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.
To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.
If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.
https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm
If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.
https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm
Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.
https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app
There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00
https://www.park4night.com/
One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.
Broken Link Removed
Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.
(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/
Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.
https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Brittany Ferries is your only option, they have the "Normal" service on the Cap Finistere or the "economie" no frills service on a boat that they took over from P and O (I think). I always go on the "Normal" service nice cabin and excellent meals in the a la carte restaurant..

I see your only a few miles away from me on Anglesey so the boat works out well leaves Portsmouth at 1700hrs and docks in Santander 1730hrs the following evening. I sleep in the freeby aire in Santander and then drive on the next day.

HTH

Cap Finistere

Portsmouth-Santander and Bilbao. Sunday sailings from Portsmouth to Bilbao is a two night crossing. Stopping overnight in Roscoff or in Bad Weather, Brest. This is for a change of crew and for Passengers to board to get from France to Spain.

Cap Finistere is my overall Favourite to Spain.

Baie De Seine "Economie" Is leased from Stena who own her. She was previously used on the Harwich-Esbjerg route until it closed. I prefer the Economy Plus 2 berth cabins. Because the restaurant and bar facilities are poor. We lock ourselves away with a coolbox for 27 hours.

Etretat, is another Economie Service from Brittamy Ferries and another I avoid booking onto.
Another Lease from Stena RoRo. LD lines were providing a Spanish route when negotiations between LD and BF saw BF introduce the "Economie" Service. This was to avoid the two companies competing against each other. Not good news for the travellers though.

Connomera another BF "Economie" service has been leased by Brittany ferries in a bid to cope with Demand. I have chosen to avoid this sip. It is owned again by Stean RoRo and has been used by DFDS (Baltic Amber) and also used from Spain to Algericas (Anek Lines).

Cap Finistere is currently in Santander for Service and Refit. Pont Aven is having a new engine fitted (she has been running on 3 out of 4 for several months). Pont Aven However usually stops serving the Spanish Routes end of October. Sometimes visiting Bilbao to finish at the beginning of November.

There is also the service from Plymouth that runs from March ( I think) to end of October. Nice ship (Pont Aven) and takes 18-20 hours. Out of season it’s around £1000 with a decent cabin.

Yes, Pont Aven is a Nice Ship. I use it usually when the Balcony Commodore cabins are cheaper in low season, under £200. But in Summer they rocket to over £300 and get snapped up.

Is also usually the cheapest way if you can live without a cabin. As you can travel in a reserved seat. That said, if you are a Member of CDV, its actually cheaper to get a cabin if you are not a Solo traveller. As you get a Breakfast allowance that you do not get with a seat.

When you get to Spain, keep going to Cadiz, then get a ferry to here :)

How much is the Ferry?

Which is the ship that you risk being on an open deck?

Pont Aven for Spain.

I think the only one fully enclosed is pont aven

Correct AFAIK

The economy sailing is a partly open deck. I’m just pricing up for coming home in April and found out last night that our next door neighbours here in a caravan get a cheaper rate than our Moho even though their 3mtrs longer than us in total. We tried it all different ways, different dates and times and a car and caravan always came up cheaper?

There are a few ways to get a cheaper crossing in a motorhome.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Brittany Ferries have two new Chinese Built "E-Flexer" ships due for service in 2021 , to be named Galicia and joined in 2022 by Salamanca.

They are long overdue and I cant wait.

We have friends who have had to travel through France as BF simply cannot keep up with demand. Demand that has on the Spanish routes risen by 80%.

What makes matters worse for BF is cancellations due to bad weather, Medivacs, strikes and unreliable ships. Pont Aven has had a lot of issues as has Etretat (another Economie service).

This means if a crossing is cancelled, BF have no forward space for re-booking.

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Does anyone remember the short period when there were three Ferry companies operating from the UK - Spain. With Brittany Ferries only operating from around March - October?.

They Were:

Brittany Ferries - Portsmouth-Santander
P&O (Pride of Bilbao) - Portsmouth-Bilbao
Acciona / Acciona-Trasmediterranea - Portsmouth-Bilbao

OP
OP
SteveB123
May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
SteveB123 - interesting out look, blaming France because you have chosen to pay toll fees and break the speed limit repeatedly. Luckilyeverything is always the fault of another.
My brain hurts! I asked for advice if you cant help shut up

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I drive to Spain twice a year but I am fed up with tolls, speeding fines and fuel prices in France.
We have been doing that for the few yeas. We don't use toll roads apart from very occasionally then only a few Euro, never had a speeding fine and as Garry says fuel cheaper than the UK, it was even worth filling the tank before coming back a few weeks ago.

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I came back on the Pony Aven last week, so I guess the engine refit is done? I'm out on the Cap Finistère on 3rd January, hopefully not stuck out the front getting covered in salt.

Anyone else on it then?

I paid £925 round trip with outside cabins both ways. 8mtrs plus bike rack. With frequent flyer discount.

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
The most cost effective route to Spain from the UK is from Calais to Irun. and is detailed below. Some member on here swear by the Ferries direct to Spain and some who have tried have said never again as a result of a nightmare crossing due to rough seas. Tolls can be very expensive but avoided and non toll motorways and Duel carriageways used instead. Fines for speeding are only given to those who speed and get caught.

Firstly, routes and route maps for France and Spain. This first link is an award winning database about France. It has a host of information on best routes to many locations. I have selected the famous N10 route from Calais to Irun which is used by many motorhomes when travelling to Spain. It’s almost Toll free (more on that a little later) and almost all duel carriageway from start to finish with the exception of about 100 K. This route is great for motorhomes small, medium and large. Note: (HGV’s are not allowed on French roads, Sunday’s, so plan your journey over a weekend if possible).
https://about-france.com/tourism/no-tolls-routes.htm
Tolls: Avoid the toll road from Calais to Abbeville and save 12.50 Euros. The non-toll route is quite scenic and fairly straight forward, between Boulogne-sur-Mer and Abbeville.
At Abbeville, join the A28 and cross the river Sein at Rouen. We take the second exit immediately after crossing the bridge (about 50 m past the first exit at the end of the bridge), swing down and under the bridge you have just crossed and continue on this road and join the A13 motorway until the N154 which takes you down to Evreux. (Note: there are a number of different options for getting through Rouen and no doubt other members will have their own preferences. We find this very straight forward on both outward and return legs). Approaching Tours on the D910 join the A10 toll road at Jct. 19 and exit at Jct. 23. This will take you through the city via the toll road, (€1.80). At Jct. 23 take the exit lane for Montbazon which returns you to the D910. (Reverse for the return leg). That’s the last toll to pay until you hit the bottom of the A63 after Bordeaux.
To save toll fares on the A63 south of Bordeaux please read the route recommendations in the above link. Do not come off the A63 near the bottom as all roads will be heavily congested and it’s worth paying the last few tolls. (From Jct 6 €8.90 in total) (Fuel costs approx. €147.84 (Based on 1056 K @10K per Ltr. @€1.40 per ltr. 3.5T motorhome)). This route is also recommended during winter, due to its proximity to the Atlantic ocean, which means little to no problems with ice and or snow, unlike using the A75 to cross the Massif Central. Although the A75 is quickly cleared, it is advisable to have winter tyres fitted and there may be some small delays due to snow ploughs clearing this route.
If heading to the Mediterranean side of Spain, it’s worth taking the N121-A to Pamplona after crossing the Spanish boarder on the A63 at Irun. It’s clearly sign posted (Large white sign) about 300 m after passing through the last toll booth and crossing the river. Also here are Repsol fuel stations and shopping opportunities. You will find more details in this link for the N121-A and how to navigate Spain toll free.
https://about-spain.net/travel/no-tolls.htm
If you decide to pay Tolls in order to save time getting to Spain, your best route options are in this link.
https://about-france.com/tourism/routes-to-spain.htm
Should you choose to plan your own routes anywhere in Europe and also establish Toll costs, (or toll free costs) use this link. Under route options, select caravan then select toll roads. Toll costs for a class 2 motorhome will be calculated for the whole journey. You can also choose Non toll routes and other options. This is currently one of the best online free route planers.
https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/
As for stop overs on routes, you can’t go wrong using the App below which is free but I would recommend getting the paid version for about £6.00 which you can then use off line. You will find numerous places to stop along the above route and I have deliberately not made any recommendations so drivers can make their own choices. This app is also brilliant for finding other places too and highly rated by many users.
https://www.campercontact.com/en/content/app
There is another popular app/website that is used which you may also find useful if you’re doing a lot of wilding and looking for free overnight stops. It too is used by many motor homers in Europe. Get the paid version to use off line for around £9.00
https://www.park4night.com/
One of the best off line MAP ‘App’ and used by many. It also includes a sat-nav function which is quite good and can also be used off line. Again many motor homers use this, especially in Morocco.
Broken Link Removed
Finally, for those looking for a data sim card for their ‘mifi’ unit or tablet (WiFi) this is the best deal in the UK and possibly the best deal in the whole of the E.U. at this moment in time. A massive 50GB of 4g data for only £30.00 a month on a monthly rolling contract. Cancel the contract after two months to get the full 3 months usage throughout the whole of the E.U. Other options also available.
(Tip!) (Go on their online ‘Web Chat’ and ask them to confirm the contract starts when you activate the sim and if they agree (they did with me) keep a copy of the Web Chat that they will email to you, otherwise the contract will start from the day your order the sim card). After two months contact customer services by phone and cancel the contract by giving them 30 days’ notice. This prevents their fair play usage kicking in after 3 months and you paying through your nose for Wi-Fi. If they say the contract started from when you made the order contact the complaints number and they will honour the agreement made with the Chat agent! (UK number is 03333 041 524 (standard call charges apply, they will even call you back if you ask them and they are very helpful)). The Wi-Fi coverage is exceptional.
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/shop/bundles-and-sims/sim-only-data-bundles/
Vodaphone APN settings for an unlocked MiFi.
https://search.vodafone.co.uk/search?proxystylesheet=default_frontend&q=APN+settings&x=0&y=0
I knew pretty much most of this already but there are plenty who won't. What a massively helpful post this is. An excellent example of the co-operatve strength of FUN. Just felt it deserved a little bit more than a simple 'like'.(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Get on the Pond Aven if possible especially out of the summer season - it seems to bounce up and down less than the Cap Finisterre.

Don't up-grade to the posh cabins on the Cap F. as they are at the very front of the boat and definitely appear to jump up and down a lot.

We ignore the economy ferry as we understand it is an almost certainty that your van is sitting out in the salt spray.

On the Cap F. it is just one deck and only at the rear of the boat that is out in the sea spray but at least that is more of a lottery whether you end up there.

The Pont A is fully enclosed.

For us all the restaurants are slightly indifferent so we just go for either a takeaway or sandwiches to eat in the cabin.

Take a travel kettle to make tea/coffee in the cabin but make sure you have a two pin European plug.

Check the prices for "taller heights" then you need as they are sometimes cheaper.

Its a 24 hour crossing unless they do a crew change in France and then you will spend two nights on board.

We always get a lunchtime crossing so we have a few hours to travel south in Spain before we stop for an overnight stay. Once you are south of the Pico's the weather often cheers up a bit.

If you are travelling anytime during the winter months be prepared for cold and often snow. We have had "white-outs" travelling south in March.

I would be amazed if someone on here will not share a discount code for "friends" on Brittany ferries which should save you around 10% on the cost of the ferry (but not the cabin) (y)

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Get on the Pond Aven if possible especially out of the summer season - it seems to bounce up and down less than the Cap Finisterre.

Don't up-grade to the posh cabins on the Cap F. as they are at the very front of the boat and definitely appear to jump up and down a lot.

We ignore the economy ferry as we understand it is an almost certainty that your van is sitting out in the salt spray.

On the Cap F. it is just one deck and only at the rear of the boat that is out in the sea spray but at least that is more of a lottery whether you end up there.

The Pont A is fully enclosed.

For us all the restaurants are slightly indifferent so we just go for either a takeaway or sandwiches to eat in the cabin.

Take a travel kettle to make tea/coffee in the cabin but make sure you have a two pin European plug.

Check the prices for "taller heights" then you need as they are sometimes cheaper.

Its a 24 hour crossing unless they do a crew change in France and then you will spend two nights on board.

We always get a lunchtime crossing so we have a few hours to travel south in Spain before we stop for an overnight stay. Once you are south of the Pico's the weather often cheers up a bit.

If you are travelling anytime during the winter months be prepared for cold and often snow. We have had "white-outs" travelling south in March.

I would be amazed if someone on here will not share a discount code for "friends" on Brittany ferries which should save you around 10% on the cost of the ferry (but not the cabin) (y)

You can have my 10% and I get a tenner for my inputs here!

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
You may want to re-think that statement.

today at a random place in France....

33E3F28C-A1B7-4F1B-94B2-32E1B8F05AD2.png

my local Tesco is £1.29

today I can get €1.1580 for £1 on my revolut card which equates to £1.19 for a litre of diesel in France..... ?

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001

That's good advice Mike, although I have used the microwave by the bar (for baby food) to boil a cup of water before now. :cool:

I'm in 8022 in January on the way out, so not too bad, but I've got the dreaded 7000 in the middle looking out over the sharp end, on the way back in March.

I've got the Pony Aven again in May, but back on the Bretagne (old but nice) in July and September on my usual St. Malo route.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are on the Cap Finistere from Santander to Portsmouth on Saturday. We like it plus the Pont Aven, we haven’t tried the economie ships and would rather not. We belong to the Club Voyage. The breakfasts are much better on the Pont Aven.
The Pont Aven is the only one that guarantees you will be inside. We’ve been outside once on the Cap Finistere and that was when the beast from the East hit. They must have rinsed us off as we could see perfectly well. Unfortunately the roads were closed and we couldn’t get home for two days!
We live 2 hours from Portsmouth and Plymouth so for us it seems daft driving hours on the A303, M3, M25 etc or as is more likely, getting stuck in traffic for hours before we’ve left England.
We love France but only when that’s where our holiday is going to be located, then we’ll hop across from Poole to Cherbourg as Poole is only an hour from home.
Different things suit different people. We’ve only got a PVC, if we had a big van the calculations might be different.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back