Ferries to Greece (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2011
Stoney Stanton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2010
Hoping later in the year to take a ferry to Greece, from Ancona. Probably outbound to Patras and returning from Igiomenista. I take it that only Anek/Superfast ferries allow you to camp on board but how is this option displayed on the booking page. I assume that the the "deck" option on the booking page is for a chair on deck! I have been looking at both Direct Ferries and Viamare to book but is it better to book direct with the ferry company? (y)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Hi, deck passage is the option you want, its just a passage option per person and doesn't include a chair or cabin. You also need to select the Camper/open deck option for your vehicle to qualify for camping on board.
There is also a small hidden fuel surcharge of €5 per person and per vehicle per crossing that you might have missed.

You could book via Viamare, they can hunt out all the special offers and discounts for you and they take their cut from the operator so it won't cost you any more than booking on line. They will also send you tickets instead of just an online booking reference. That's the option I would use if it were my first trip.

Just in case you didn't know the camping on deck option is only available between 1 Apr and 31 Oct.
As you say Anek and Superfast are the only carriers that offer Camping on deck on that route and they are also both joint operators on the route and share it so prices should work out the same regardless of carrier.

Just for Info, Minoan have just pulled out of the Italy Greece route but they didn't offer the Camping on deck option.

Have a great trip.

Pete

NeilEmma

Free Member
Oct 31, 2016
UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat Arapaho
Exp
September 2016
We have just travelled ancona to igoumenitsa by minoan - so they are still going it seems!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Virmare are very they will tell you about all the deals and help you get the cheapest crossing I can highly recommended them.
We went with Miloan lines a couple of years ago, HD the camping option (only for motorhomes & caravans, you get a two birth cabin and 30% discount on food included also join the Minoan Club (free) and get 10% discount also discount for over 60's and early booking. We reckon Virmare saved us £200 over booking direct due to them advising us what to do to get the discounts.

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Just to let you know. We are currently touring in Greece and had booked (via Anek line website) an opendeck camping on board ticket 3 months in advance.
Whilst in Igoumenitza we talked to a few people who said they had not been allowed to use open deck (although they had booked it) and were instead offered an inside cabin.
On the strenght of this we went to the Anek offices to confirm that we were on the camping deck. They told us that the boat we had booked did not have camper deck (even though we got that option when we booked this boat) and said we could have an inside cabin included in the price we had paid.
We refused this and then they offered us an outside cabin, which we also refused.
They are refunding us 80% of the ticket price, which we have accepted under protest, because we feel it was missold.
We have decided to drive back through the Balkans instead.
To summarise there is only 1 boat a week that has an actual open deck, although each sailing advertise this.
So be aware. Good luck.
Kelso and Margit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
Another tip: We stayed at a campsite just outside Igoumenitza called Camping Drepano.
Good campsite, great beach. When we were leaving we told them we were going to Corfu and they gave us a voucher for 50% discount of the return fare. Saved us almost 100 euros.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back