Ferries to Brittany and Northern Spain (1 Viewer)

Steve304

Free Member
Nov 29, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 Years (12000 Miles)
Having checked the cost of ferries and Eurotunnel for our next trip, I was very surprised at the expense of some ferries (especially to Northern Spain) and wondered what the real justification for using them was, when compared to the cheaper ferry crossing to Calais or Eurotunnel?

Yes, I appreciate that there will be extra fuel; driving time and possible stopover fees to consider, but surely this doesn't amount to the extra cost for the ferry fare. So why do people still use these expensive services as an alternative?

Just curious that's all.

Steve

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
This winters trip,,,, we went out Portsmouth - Santandar14 mtrs and £785.. :Eeek:

Came back through France to Calais to Dover... and saved about £230 overall..

Stopped in France 2 Aires and one camp site...

Don't usually come up through France on the way back..... but weather forecast didn`t look bad..:thumb:

That`s the only reason we go to and from Santandar...

And we bought the sun back with us... :winky:::bigsmile:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Last year we came back from Santander after doing quite a lot of miles in Morocco. We thought it would be a treat at the end of the trip.

How wrong we were. It was unbelievably rough. Our van slid into the next van in the hold. (Happily no real damage done) . We laid there feeling ill wishing we were in a French aire!

Never again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We live outside Plymouth so the options for us are really either Plymouth/Roscoff or Plymouth/Santander. The last time I checked it was cheaper to drive through France but not by much. We would use the Santander ferry in preference and just take the ferry as part of the holiday, a sort of mini-cruise. The "posh" restaurant on board is quite good. We have had one rough crossing but the boat didn't sink and at the right time of year there is the chance of seeing whales and dolphins.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

Three weeks ago we did the Hull Zeebrugge crossing as the Bay of Biscay was looking a bit choppy and we didn't fancy it after reading stories like the one earlier on this thread.

As it happens we had a nice trip down through France, we kept off most of the toll roads and stayed in a couple of nice free Aires on the way, and of course being in the North East of UK we prefer to drive to Hull rather than the South Coast so it works for us.

Martin

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
We live in North Devon and have used the Plymouth/Santander ferry lots of times only had one really bad crossing.And yes the "posh" restaurant is great:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
Didn't really intend a long trip this year but after the horrible winter we've had we decided we needed some sun and on the spare of the moment came up with Portugal in May so booked a return trip Portsmouth / Santander.
To be honest I'm a bit "Franced out" and the thought of the long drive didn't appeal - I did cost the various alternative routes and the additional cost of the long sailing was not prohibitive.
In the end each to his own - I've often driven across France and enjoyed it but not this year

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
We enjoy the time to chill for 24 hours on the ferry mini cruise to Northern Spain and no worries of adverse weather through France in winter.
Summer would of course be different :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back