Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi All

Anyone advise which is the best (cheap!) 5ver Friendly Ferry Company to use to get over the water? Our 5ver is 33" Towing Vehicle GMC 2500 Sierra (8ft Bed). Petrol/LPG

Also we want to travel to spain around the 2nd week of Nov.

Drive through France or Ferry to Spain?

Thanks
Ant & Debs

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The only time we took ours over we found Dover to Dunkirk, If I remember it was Norfolk lines,, summat like £70 one way. Portsmouth to Le-Harve over night which was the cheapest from Portsmouth £250, one way.. :Eeek:

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
The only time we took ours over we found Dover to Dunkirk, If I remember it was Norfolk lines,, summat like £70 one way. Portsmouth to Le-Harve over night which was the cheapest from Portsmouth £250, one way.. :Eeek:

Thanks Old Mo

We looked at P & O and was quoted £490 Single Portsmouth-Bilbao. And P & O Dover Calais Single £100.

Whats really annoying is the last time I travelled on Portsmouth-Bilbao was in a 12 meter Band Coach with Trailer No Passengers Just Me Single trip £120.00!

Ant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just a thought for 5er owners..

When we booked up Portsmouth to Le-Harve earlier this year we did it on line,,, If you fill the form out correctly ie Length of Truck and length of 5th wheel, it is considerably more footage/metre length singularly than when it is joined up,, because of what is hanging over the truck and visa versa.

So I measured the unit joined up and adjusted the length of the 5th wheel accordingly, which bought the 5th wheel quite a few meters shorter than actual length,, and saved a goodly sum..

Hope you can get where I am coming from.. anyway no one queried it.. :thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
thats what i do as well when booking ferries, infact it was a man on the end of the phone at one of the ferry companies that told me to do it that way.
I have used the bilboa route and it is expensive but what i really objected to was the price i paid for my cabin one way was more than the booze cruisers were paying for a return trip with cabin (at the time booze cruisers were paying £99return).
now we take the dog we usually use P&O Dover/Calais

Last edited:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Cheapest I found in August traveling at sociable hours was the Eurotunnel for a 34'A Class and tow car £240 return.

Britainy Ferries wanted nearly £700 Portsmouth - Caen and LD lines just over £500 Portsmouth - Le Havre.

I cannot praise the staff at Eurotunnel enough it was a real pleasure to find staff that were really helpful, for on trying to check in at the toll booth the machine was too low so I pulled forward so I could get out (a wall would have stopped the step coming out) when a member of staff called over to me to say I had missed the machine he then came to my window asked if I had my confirmation number and duly typed it in and asked if we wished to travel on and earlier train at no extra cost! Similarly at the LPG tank check a member of staff asked where my tank was and I told him just behind the front wheel on my side, I said I would get out and open it for him, he said no problem and duly opened the locker door checked the tank was less than 80% full and turned off then wished us a pleasant holiday. The French staff were just as helpful. Also the crossing was so quick from entering Folkstone to leaving Calais.

I seem to remember that Norfolkline would have been slightly cheaper but at unsociable hours of sailing, also their booking in was a lot more complicated requiring height and length dimensions where with the Eurotunnel we were simply a 'campervan':thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi just been quoted £96 return by P&O, 28th Nov return 3rd Dec. can't remember the exact times but they weren't to unsocial. ::bigsmile:

Olley

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Olley

Does that price include a towed car - or is it for your 'solo' coach?

Have you booked as a 'motorhome'?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Dick, solo, booked as 9.5 metre length, 4 metre high motorhome 4 adults 1 child, Just checked that's 19.15 out, 18.25 back, and its £98.75. Out of curiosity I changed the length to 12 metres and its gone up to £186.75 :Eeek:

Simply making it 10metres adds £30, while reducing the length to 9metres makes no difference to the price, reduce it to 8metres however and its £68.75

Olley

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi,, i use brittany ferries to santander . nov 8th quote 270 one way. normally its about that x2 .thats 2 person with seat ,1 dog small kennel. as i live near plymouth its nice n convenient . used to drive through spain but its uneconomical now. car and caravan upto 11metres. been through the sizes and lengths with them before ,i just refer to last years tickets now, see you there ,cheers alan.

OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Ouch!

hi,, i use brittany ferries to santander . nov 8th quote 270 one way. normally its about that x2 .thats 2 person with seat ,1 dog small kennel. as i live near plymouth its nice n convenient . used to drive through spain but its uneconomical now. car and caravan upto 11metres. been through the sizes and lengths with them before ,i just refer to last years tickets now, see you there ,cheers alan.

Hi Alan

Just looked on Brittany Ferries for the sailing on 8th Nov quote £534.00 Single!

Tow Veh GMC 2500 HD (8' Bed)
Unit 33' Wildcat

We only want to get to spain not buy the Ferry!:cry:
Cheers Ant&Debs

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i fit into the car n caravan 11 metres good job i,m only tiny . thats why i like my rig . also fits nicely in two carpark spaces one behind the other . good for supermarket parking. i think most go too big and have problems i dont seem to get. hopefully be in spain nov 9th. keep fingers crossed.

UK5ER

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Royston, Herts
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
6 years
Cheapest I found in August traveling at sociable hours was the Eurotunnel for a 34'A Class and tow car £240 return.

Britainy Ferries wanted nearly £700 Portsmouth - Caen and LD lines just over £500 Portsmouth - Le Havre.

I cannot praise the staff at Eurotunnel enough it was a real pleasure to find staff that were really helpful, for on trying to check in at the toll booth the machine was too low so I pulled forward so I could get out (a wall would have stopped the step coming out) when a member of staff called over to me to say I had missed the machine he then came to my window asked if I had my confirmation number and duly typed it in and asked if we wished to travel on and earlier train at no extra cost! Similarly at the LPG tank check a member of staff asked where my tank was and I told him just behind the front wheel on my side, I said I would get out and open it for him, he said no problem and duly opened the locker door checked the tank was less than 80% full and turned off then wished us a pleasant holiday. The French staff were just as helpful. Also the crossing was so quick from entering Folkstone to leaving Calais.

I seem to remember that Norfolkline would have been slightly cheaper but at unsociable hours of sailing, also their booking in was a lot more complicated requiring height and length dimensions where with the Eurotunnel we were simply a 'campervan':thumb::thumb:

Regards Pat

Just dont make the same mistake as me! :Doh: Book the Tunnel and then realise that they dont allow vehicles that run on LPG to go through the tunnel... - my Dodge RAM2500 towing vehicle for the 5er was dual fuel! I had to book the ferry and argue for a refund which I eventually received from Eurotunnel...!! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back