Ferries & Eurotunnel crossing the channel (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I was just wondering what your preference is crossing the channel?

Till now we have used both Seafrance & P & O and were satisfied but recently used Norfolkline twice and very pleased.

This last holiday when we went to France used Eurotunnel and very satisfied although tugging a toad which was tight to enter the train but possible amongst the non HGV vehicle.

Norfolkline was chosen on price.

Eurotunnel was funded by Tesco vouchers £100 of vouchers let us have a £400 crossing.

Who do you favour and why?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I was just wondering what your preference is crossing the channel?

Till now we have used both Seafrance & P & O and were satisfied but recently used Norfolkline twice and very pleased.

This last holiday when we went to France used Eurotunnel and very satisfied although tugging a toad which was tight to enter the train but possible amongst the non HGV vehicle.

Norfolkline was chosen on price.

Eurotunnel was funded by Tesco vouchers £100 of vouchers let us have a £400 crossing.

Who do you favour and why?

£400!! I have never paid more that 250 return for 42 foot including trailer. That seems pricey mate. Even short notice now, without a trailer the quote is only just over £200 return (SeaFrance)

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
£400!! I have never paid more that 250 return for 42 foot including trailer. That seems pricey mate. Even short notice now, without a trailer the quote is only just over £200 return (SeaFrance)

2 dogs topped it up Jim.

We were hammered as we were 14metres in total with a 10metre motorhome and car/trailer of 4metre.

Travelled at very social time to because we were so subsidised by Tesco.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Ferry or train

Ferry has always come out cheaper than train.
Living in the west country means that unless we want to pay huge sums and spend all day at sea on Brittany Ferries from Plymouth we drive to Portsmouth (nearly 4 hours) or Dover (over 6). I'd heard that Norfolk Line was good, but that'd be evn further :Sad:

Used the train once with the car - excellent service and only about half an hour - but it was that much more expensive and Pat (Mrs. John) got a bit jittery thinking about all that water overhead (telling her not to think about didn't seem to help).

Not much of a contribution I'm afraid.

John

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
We live in East Yorkshire and use P&O North Sea Ferries Hull to Rotterdam/Zeebrugge. An over night crossing that sees us in Rotterdam or Zeebrugge at 0800 hrs.::bigsmile:

On the return trip we arrive in Hull at 0730 hrs into Sainsbury's for the shopping and then a 20 minute drive home. Washing machine is usually on the go by 10.30 hrs. ::bigsmile:

A bit pricey but I'd pay double rather than do that 550 mile return trip to Dover.:Eeek:

Return crossing booked through C C is about £240 to £260. :Sad:

Don

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I can understand them charging more for your two dogs, than my three kids. Your dogs must weigh 15 stone more than their combined weight.::bigsmile:

Do you pay for the kids?

Your right about the weight though when you drive a car with them in as they move around so does the car:roflmto::roflmto:

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hi John RR how did you get on with the LPG on the tunnel as i was told you cant take a camper or RV on the train with a gas tank ?? or do you just say nothing :Smile:

FORDY:Smile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi John RR how did you get on with the LPG on the tunnel as i was told you cant take a camper or RV on the train with a gas tank ?? or do you just say nothing :Smile:

FORDY:Smile:

Strangely enough domestic was alright but I was stopped and they asked me to check it was turned off for the duration of the journey.

Gas powered vehicle is a no no sadly:cry:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi we went P&O this year, for the first time they were cheaper than Norfolkline whose prices have gone up since they got the new ferries. £115 return plus £30 for the cat

Olley

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Hi we went P&O this year, for the first time they were cheaper than Norfolkline whose prices have gone up since they got the new ferries. £115 return plus £30 for the cat

Olley

That must be the keenest quote yet.

Excellent P & O

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Booked our crossing for next Agust last night, for a 6metre motorhome + 2 passengers.

Eurotunnel £122
P&O £112
SeaFrance £82

Norfolk Line £245

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Booked our crossing for next Agust last night, for a 6metre motorhome + 2 passengers.

Eurotunnel £122
P&O £112
SeaFrance £82

Norfolk Line £245

Who did you decide to go with?:ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
what the hell has happened to NORFOLK LINES.
no option for a solo motorhome unless you class it as a van.........
motorhome listed only with a trailer/caravan
and the prices have gone thru the roof.
we paid around £82 last year but they now want £220 for the same sailing.
i know new ships cost money but i didn't see any difference. same crossing time,same moving carpark and the same bar/ restaurant (still selling food and beer!)
it can only be in their own interest to modernise their fleet cos i gained nowt.
i'll be shopping round next time.
john.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ferry/Tunnel

Hi

My loyalty is in my pocket - so in theory that means SeaFrance. Then phone P&O and obtain a price and they will usually price match SeaFrance. Finally, pay with Tesco vouchers. Every little helps.

Travelling with a dog however, then it has to be the tunnel as there is no way on earth I would leave a dog on the car deck.

Russell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back