Ferries Across The North Sea (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We normally use P & O Dover Calais but have been considering either Newcastle - Amsterdam with DFDS or Hull - Rotterdam with P & O. Obviously there are cost implications but would save the almost 400 mile trip to Dover from here in Cumbria; but my main concern is the ferries themselves especially the feedback regarding Hen & Stag parties. Anyone any first hand experience of either of these crossings?

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Been on them lots of times with my car or motorbike, never really had any problems on any of the crossings.
Yes there are lots of stag/hen parties but wife and I were encouraged to join in which we did and had a ball as well.
If worried about them the cross away from the weekends to miss them.
Never, never used it with the motorhome as they cost is sky high(in my opinion) and still driving to Dover and back can save me as much as almost £500 !! plus we do not want to put our Yorkie into a kennel for 17 hours with little access to him for us.

Just checked to go out 26/7 and return 29/8 M/home 7.3 mtrs dog can now stay in it during the crossing £835 return !! fuel form here to Dover return (cheap diesel at Auchan Calais) £180 !! a no brainer for me !!

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As an exersize i priced up a crossing from hull to zeebrugge with p&o

Depart next friday, return thursday.....car and caravan....no frills, standard evening meal and inside cabin.....

£1105

Theres a hell of a saving and lots of deisel funds in france if you spend a couple of hundred on fuel to Dover and back and a cheap ferry dover to dunkirk with dfds.

Even taking it easy its only around 8 hrs from cumbria
from Scarborough to dover....305mls...7 hrs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We sail hull to zeebrugge on a regular basis, always very quiet crossings . Living in Filey swmbo can do a days work before we sail out and do a days work on the day we return !! She is self employed with a good work force. We always booked with the caravan club, got camping cheques, travelled on a weekend , booked in advance and got some great deals.
After a good nights sleep you are on the dual carriage way and France here we come ..,

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
We paid £435 leaving 13 June returning 6 July, outside cabin with an 8.8 'camping car' and including 7 camping cheques

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As an exersize i priced up a crossing from hull to zeebrugge with p&o

Depart next friday, return thursday.....car and caravan....no frills, standard evening meal and inside cabin.....

£1105

Theres a hell of a saving and lots of deisel funds in france if you spend a couple of hundred on fuel to Dover and back and a cheap ferry dover to dunkirk with dfds.

Even taking it easy its only around 8 hrs from cumbria
from Scarborough to dover....305mls...7 hrs.

You need to sail on a Saturday or Sunday to get the deals where a caravan goes free.

We have just booked to travel 16th August and back 6 weeks later, booking with the caravan club and getting three nights camping cheques thrown in the price was £501.00, a lot more than we have previously paid at just over £300 and including 7 nights camping cheques. Hopefully this is just seasonal and it will come back down next time we go.

Martin

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Mmm always wondered how a huge 8 metre caravan with a big 4 x 4 can go free and yet charge a similar motorhome and no car much much more !!
Wondered if I booked a car towing a motorhome would get the same deal ??? after all they are likely to be the same length !!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Mmm always wondered how a huge 8 metre caravan with a big 4 x 4 can go free and yet charge a similar motorhome and no car much much more !!
Wondered if I booked a car towing a motorhome would get the same deal ??? after all they are likely to be the same length !!

Motorhome for the price of a car at weekends.

Martin

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
We went Newcastle to ijmiuden (sp?) 17 april, 50 minute drive, great crossing, no probs. Think it was £230, could have got it less but dilly dallied booking. 7.5m + cat (19£ extra, ridiculous)
Would use this route again, easy from cumbria

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Use it annually, 26th August to 11th September £475, outside two berth cabin with low beds. For us going to Denmark there is little choice than use Newcastle to Amsterdam these days.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Used Newcastle - IJmudien last month, £560, bit steep but only drove 180 miles to ferry instead of 500, saved a day. Crossing excellent, and I used to work for a ferry company so that is high praise. Best of all was a selection of bottled ales from Whitby in the bar!

OP
OP
namwaldog
Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Thanks for all your replies. I understand that cost is an issue. I have just looked on aferry.co.uk and found that for a return with a 7.3m MH out on Sat 10 Oct 15 ret Tue 17 Dec 15 Newcastle - Amsterdam IJmuiden with 2 bed inside cabin works out at £388. I budget about £65 fuel each way from Cumbria to Dover plus about £50 each way on Dover - Calais so about £230 plus overnight stop. There is also the Cumbria to Newcastle and Amsterdam to France costs to take into consideration so without doubt the Dover Calais/ Dunkirk is the cheapest option and then there is the Autumn/Winter weather for the 16 hour crossing to consider.
Decisions, Decisions.........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back