Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

yep, that subject again, about how some cyclists are an absolute menace. the chap in the article and video in my link filmed fellow cyclists over the last few weeks in york. however it could be pretty much anywhere in the uk from what i have witnessed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ts-cutting-motorists-using-mobile-phones.html

yep its the daily fail but it is a story with pictures and video for proof:ROFLMAO:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I ride my bike and I ride my car and motorhome. I never see a car driver in danger from a bike. There are many occasions when there is a car wanting to overtake a cyclist and another car is coming in the opposite direction. The road is wide enough for two cars to pass but not wide enough for a cyclist and 2 cars. Watch out if you happen to be the cyclist, they won't slow down, they won't give way, you are dispensable.

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i dont disagree that cyclists are at greater risk of injury from cars than the other way round. however take a look at the video on the page linked to and then defend the actions of the cyclists shown. remember these are not isolated and from multiple sources. they were all filmed within a few short weeks by a fellow cyclist and all in york.

now I am not saying that i was an angel when i was younger and rode a bike. however I would never do the sort of stupid things I see done on a bike round my local town. nor do I remember people being murdered because they challenged the behaviour of cyclists before recently.

all in all i honestly believe there should be compulsory training and insurance for cyclists and that the police should crack down and fine those that act recklessly. where assault or a serious offence light jumping a red light happens the bikes should be seized and destroyed. sadly the idea of compulsory insurance will affect all reasonable riders too, but something has to offset the cost of those that put lives at risk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Having spent two weeks away in Edinburgh recently, we were amazed at the numbers of cyclists we noticed going through red lights as we sat on buses whilst going in and out of the city:whatthe:
They're a law unto themselves......but will be the first to complain if they get knocked off their bikes.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We seemed to have a lot of cyclists out here yesterday. Tried to overtake some riding 3 abreast along a narrow busy road, then we had one idiot riding towards me, on my side of the road, and gave me a look as if I was in the wrong!
Like everything, its the idiotic minority that spoil it for the rest, you never remember the safe cyclists!

Allan

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We recently used buses and cabs and when sat observing other road users you see quite a lot of bad in all areas. As you say cyclists jumping lights, but also the number of drivers on mobile phones and abandonment parking as I call it. Just dump the motor with no thought for other people. There is good and bad on all sides. :Smile:

Rongob61

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
When was the last time anyone was killed by a cyclist,I think it's the motorists. Who should be the one' having the extra training.To many drivers seem to think the rules of the road don't apply to them once there inside there little tin boxes.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
When was the last time anyone was killed by a cyclist,I think it's the motorists. Who should be the one' having the extra training.To many drivers seem to think the rules of the road don't apply to them once there inside there little tin boxes.

Obviously it's terribly sad when anyone dies... But in regards to London... Where most cyclists have died... Is often because of errors of judgments or just rule breaking that's big contributory factor... Undertaking articulated lorries being one of the big killers..
Of course cyclists are unlikely to kill car drivers... But as I sit on a bus in almost stationary traffic in the city of London I am watching lots of cyclists... A lot cycling sensibly.. But a huge amount weaving in and out of
traffic.. Red lights.. Cutting drivers up... 2 abreast.. No protective or high visibility clothing. I could take a picture in every Road of something dangerous or reckless...
Cyclists need to be held to account like car and motorcyclists are.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
This morning I saw,on a busy but not main road,a cyclist with two alsations on long leads running in front of him and pulling him along-he also had two full plastic shopping bags hung on his handlebars..
Mike

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages

I think you will find that everybody in a tin box , has had some form of training , then followed by a test to be allowed to use the road, perhaps this should also be mandatory for all cyclists ,
And as for the rules of the road the little book called the HIGHWAY CODE applies to ALL road users. Pedestrian/ cyclist/ motorist
Ask any cyclist if they have read/ own a copy?

Oh and I am a cyclist!
:thumb:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Surely if someone is breaking the law its up to the Police to deal with it . If the police got a bit more reactive in York i am sure word would soon spread, if not a few fines would hit the bad cyclists in their pocket .
Just came back from six months in Australia where most forces have officers patrolling by pushbike handing out fines to cyclists for misdermenors ? even off road.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This morning I saw,on a busy but not main road,a cyclist with two alsations on long leads running in front of him and pulling him along-he also had two full plastic shopping bags hung on his handlebars..
Mike
I often do this great exercise for the dog but to make it safer I ride on the pavement.:Smile:

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
people frequently get injured by cyclists running into them. last year in bournemouth a disabled man was murdered by a cyclist because he had the cheek to ask him not to ride on the pavement. cars get scratched by cyclists squeezing through gaps, but they never stop

yes extra training or at the very least a proficiency test and another on the highway code before being allowed on a bike and certainly compulsory insurance. the ignorant few as usual give all the others a bad name

perhaps you would like to explain why you see nothing wrong with the way some cyclists behave, particularly those in the video

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
That old lady using her phone while on a quiet path should be locked up.

What despicable behaviour. Really glad that the nice chap with helmet camera brought it to our attention.

The film should be passed to the police.

enery8

Free Member
Oct 11, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
FFB Tabbert Classic 660
Exp
towing for 20 odd years but now have our first motorhome.

I saw a child knocked down by cyclist when he jumped the lights a rode his bicycle straight through a school crossing patrol. What is more, he did not even stop. For that reason alone I believe all cyclists should have registration plates.
Also, not so long ago, a young woman was killed by a cyclist on a speed trial on a footpath. He said he shouted at her to get out of the way.
His sentence was very lenient compared to that which would have been handed down had he been a motorist.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...down-and-killed-teenage-girl-court-hears.html

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
What an absolute knob and a total waste of 3 mins of my life.

Why those pesky cyclists watch me film them with a head cam

You know how good life is when people like that knob can go out and film what exactly?
Ooooohhhh some cyclists jumped a red light, some even rode on the path...how naughty of them.

Still kids starve to death all over the world, dictators murder people for opposing views but what the heck don't drive on the path or through a red light because the man from York will film you and make you famous

God this society worries me sometimes

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
What an absolute knob and a total waste of 3 mins of my life.

Why those pesky cyclists watch me film them with a head cam

You know how good life is when people like that knob can go out and film what exactly?
Ooooohhhh some cyclists jumped a red light, some even rode on the path...how naughty of them.

Still kids starve to death all over the world, dictators murder people for opposing views but what the heck don't drive on the path or through a red light because the man from York will film you and make you famous
[HI]
God this society worries me sometimes[/HI]
This is so true Paul big brother society, what an absolute dick.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
The last two remarks worry me, unless it was tongue in cheek, if so not funny, that cyclist going through a red light could have caused the death of motorist in trying to avoid said cyclist. I am sick to death of some cyclists, I take extra care when I see them on the road, three in front of me yesterday on a narrow busy back country road which is full of bends and hills, they were all over the place, dangerous to overtake them as it is one bend straight after another, it is a pity they don`t take extra care for other road users, who get the blame when cyclists are injured or killed, never mind the fact that they were in the wrong in the first place in most cases.

I lost a friend who in his "wisdom " decided to hang on to the back of a double decker bus when stopped at a junction with lights, when the bus moved off, my friend was killed, thrown underneath and the back wheels went over his head, so no I have no sympathy with the stupidity of a lot of cyclists , it isn`t just the younger ones either, older folk who should know better. Folk have been hurt by cyclists on the pavement not far from where I live. I am very wary if I am walking on a pavement and see a cyclist on the pavement as well, if they are behind cannot hear them coming, bells seems to be missing these days, in our county cyclists on pavements are illegal, but where are the police,? one cyclist was fined in the city, not enough it seems, same as some motorists, it is unbelievable how many are still using their phones, I nearly got cleared up by someone coming out of a junction, not looking to her right, came straight out, how she missed me I`ll never know, on her phone and steering one handed round the corner. :Angry:

Rongob61

Free Member
Oct 16, 2013
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
people frequently get injured by cyclists running into them. last year in bournemouth a disabled man was murdered by a cyclist because he had the cheek to ask him not to ride on the pavement. cars get scratched by cyclists squeezing through gaps, but they never stop

yes extra training or at the very least a proficiency test and another on the highway code before being allowed on a bike and certainly compulsory insurance. the ignorant few as usual give all the others a bad name

perhaps you would like to explain why you see nothing wrong with the way some cyclists behave, particularly those in the video

I didn't say I found nothing wrong with the images in the video,there is always going to be some people who don't abide by the rules but normally the consequences don't result in a fatality,which can't be said for motorists when they break rules.
Such as driving on bald tyres and ploughing into a group of cyclists and killing a four of them.
There seems to me to be a underlying hatred of cyclists running through some of these posts.As you yourself state,an elderly gentleman was murdered by a cyclist,would you have used the same terms if the person had been a motorist e.g the gentleman was murdered by a car driver.
As for cyclists being treated leniently,the above mentioned tragedy involving those cyclists resulted in the motorist being fined £180.

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Nope not tongue in cheek at all

Just typical hysteria spread around to judge one set of people over another.

Yes I jump red lights. So what shoot me.... I'm a grown up and know what traffic is.

If you missed it last time I'll say it again.

MORE CYCLISTS WERE KILLED IN. LONDON LAST YEAR THAN THE WHOLE OF THE REST OF THE EU.....

OUR whole attitude towards each other and constant attempts to make one group of people superior to others is our own downfall.

I

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
the guy i mentioned was charged and convicted with murder, so not my spin on a tragic accident, it was deliberate. as for hating cyclists, personally for me nothing could be further from the truth. in my youth i was a competitive cyclist and was pretty good at what i did. to get that far, i raced for many many miles in the saddle, and owned 6 different bikes at the same time

my point was that some, as in a minority of cyclists behave in a feral way without respect for others or the law. people are getting hurt and property damaged by these idiots, but any motorist involved will always be given the blame.

sadly it happens and people discuss such things on various motoring forums. it does not indicate a hatred or persecution of all cyclists. we would all criticise any motorhome driver that jumped a red light causing other vehicles to take evasive actions. it wouldnt be an attack on all motorhomers. i am puzzled that people would think it is. or are the comments coming from cyclists who see nothing wrong with those that ignore the rules and cause accidents

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Surely if someone is breaking the law its up to the Police to deal with it . If the police got a bit more reactive in York i am sure word would soon spread, if not a few fines would hit the bad cyclists in their pocket .
Just came back from six months in Australia where most forces have officers patrolling by pushbike handing out fines to cyclists for misdermenors ? even off road.

The GB police now don't seem have the resources or probably the inclination to get involved in stuff like that. They waste their time on more important stuff.......:RollEyes:

About 20 years ago while I was still a traffic officer, I was driving in a marked car ( Volvo T5 estate..:Cool:) late at night into a cul de sac in a pretty rough area just outside Birmingham to pick up a colleague who was in a house nearby.
2 youths on bikes came cycling along the pavement, jumped onto the road in front of me and pedalled off. No lights on either bike. I reversed towards them and called them over.
They both thought it was very funny when I asked why they didn't have lights and they could be prosecuted. Both refused to give me their names or addresses, still thinking it was funny. Till I arrested one of them on suspicion of nicking the bike he was on ( this is part of the "ways and means act"!) He started fighting against me, his mate rode off and all the locals came out of their houses to watch ( they were all anti police) I eventually got him handcuffed and in the car and as we drove off to the station, he realised that this was real life.
The upshot was, his parents were called to the station, he got a fine for no lights and a caution for resisting arrest.
3 hours out of my day when I could be doing other things a tad more important, I was driving the only Traffic car in one of the largest policing area in the West Mids since the majority of our unit were done away with, including a large motorcycle unit. All due to government funding cut backs.

Till the government start funding the police properly and recruiting the right people to do the job properly, there will always be a level of law breaking which is seen as acceptable to many people.
Stupidly altered number plates.
Driving around with fog lamps on when they are not needed.
No seat belts
Using mobile phones when driving ( this includes when stationary like the driver I saw last week at traffic lights on the phone who didn't move through 2 sets of light changes..)
Drinking and driving
Cyclists/motorcyclists/motorists with no regard for anyone but themselves
People not clearing up after their dogs
Parking around schools on zig zags, double yellow lines, pavements, blocking peoples driveways, all because their little darlings can't walk 50 ft.
McDonalds food containers ( other fast food establishments food containers are available to throw away) thrown out of cars all over the road
The list goes on, its not just cyclists......
I'm afraid its the society we live in where people think they have the right to do exactly what they like and b####r everybody else..

And, relax........

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The majority of cyclists around are their own worst enemies in my opinion. Really anyone who is stupid enough to jump a red light deserves all they get.....
But why do they take risks with their own lives squeezing through gaps between buses and cars? It's beyond me......I don't "have it in" for cyclists, but in a lot of cases they are stupid and selfish. They can cause havoc, then speed off without a trace......

Last year whilst waiting at a bus stop near Grassington, we noticed about 15 or so cyclists coming along a typical winding Yorkshire road........however, there were at least 12 cars driving slowly and patiently behind the cyclists waiting for the opportunity to overtake them. The first car to overtake rolled his window down and yelled and "gesticulated" to them saying they should never be cycling two and three abreast on roads like this!! One of the cyclists returned the "gesture" and several choice insults whilst the rest of his pals gathered speed and whizzed towards the car shouting insults. By this time the motorist decided he had better put the foot down and sped off with the cyclists chasing after him:roflmto: Bike rage!

Bill

Last edited:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
If you missed it last time I'll say it again.

MORE CYCLISTS WERE KILLED IN. LONDON LAST YEAR THAN THE WHOLE OF THE REST OF THE EU.....

I

Not wanting to sound picky, but according to Transport for London, 14 cyclists were killed in London in 2013. Whilst even 1 death is too many, its hard to believe that less than that were killed in the rest of the EU.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The GB police now don't seem have the resources or probably the inclination to get involved in stuff like that. They waste their time on more important stuff.......:RollEyes:

About 20 years ago while I was still a traffic officer, I was driving in a marked car ( Volvo T5 estate..:Cool:) late at night into a cul de sac in a pretty rough area just outside Birmingham to pick up a colleague who was in a house nearby.
2 youths on bikes came cycling along the pavement, jumped onto the road in front of me and pedalled off. No lights on either bike. I reversed towards them and called them over.
They both thought it was very funny when I asked why they didn't have lights and they could be prosecuted. Both refused to give me their names or addresses, still thinking it was funny. Till I arrested one of them on suspicion of nicking the bike he was on ( this is part of the "ways and means act"!) He started fighting against me, his mate rode off and all the locals came out of their houses to watch ( they were all anti police) I eventually got him handcuffed and in the car and as we drove off to the station, he realised that this was real life.
The upshot was, his parents were called to the station, he got a fine for no lights and a caution for resisting arrest.
3 hours out of my day when I could be doing other things a tad more important, I was driving the only Traffic car in one of the largest policing area in the West Mids since the majority of our unit were done away with, including a large motorcycle unit. All due to government funding cut backs.

Till the government start funding the police properly and recruiting the right people to do the job properly, there will always be a level of law breaking which is seen as acceptable to many people.
Stupidly altered number plates.
Driving around with fog lamps on when they are not needed.
No seat belts
Using mobile phones when driving ( this includes when stationary like the driver I saw last week at traffic lights on the phone who didn't move through 2 sets of light changes..)
Drinking and driving
Cyclists/motorcyclists/motorists with no regard for anyone but themselves
People not clearing up after their dogs
Parking around schools on zig zags, double yellow lines, pavements, blocking peoples driveways, all because their little darlings can't walk 50 ft.
McDonalds food containers ( other fast food establishments food containers are available to throw away) thrown out of cars all over the road
The list goes on, its not just cyclists......
I'm afraid its the society we live in where people think they have the right to do exactly what they like and b####r everybody else..

And, relax........

Quote:-
"Driving around with fog lamps on when they are not needed"

This is a pet hate of mine, we thought it was just rife in Dumfries and Galloway, we always notice this when we come back into our region from being away:Doh: A local policeman said it was "fashionable" with younger drivers.......but I can't help but wonder if they need their fog lights to see better when it's not foggy, what do they do when it is foggy?

Bill

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
Seems a nonsense to me that it's against the law to ride on the pavement and yet most cycle paths are created by dividing the pavement into two - one half pedestrians, the other cyclists :Doh:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Seems a nonsense to me that it's against the law to ride on the pavement and yet most cycle paths are created by dividing the pavement into two - one half pedestrians, the other cyclists :Doh:

I can remember when quite young cycling on the pavement coming back from school. I was stopped by a police man and told that I should be on the road:Sad: I was terrified because I had never cycled on the main road before, always kept to the pavements. My wheel frames were either 14 or 16 inches in diameter, this seemed to be deciding factor in what's not allowed on the pavement. Can still remember being terrified as I cycled home and so relieved to get home safely.

Margaret

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Not wanting to sound picky, but according to Transport for London, 14 cyclists were killed in London in 2013. Whilst even 1 death is too many, its hard to believe that less than that were killed in the rest of the EU.

No your quite right. London has more fatalities than all the top members of the EU capital cities put together.....

When looked at miles travelled per journey
Exampl
16 deaths in London against 6 in Amsterdam however when added to the amount of journeys cycled 16 million. Dutch own 18 million cycles half the population of holland rides a bike at least once per day...add that to the other major euro cities and you wil get the comparison

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
One of the cyclists returned the "gesture" and several choice insults whilst the rest of his pals gathered speed and whizzed towards the car shouting insults. By this time the motorist decided he had better put the foot down and sped off with the cyclists chasing after him:roflmto: Bike rage!

Bill

LOL !! This happened to me about 4 or 5 years ago...

I was so wound up I stopped up the road a way and calmly walked round the back of the motor.. pretended to get something out of the boot and stuck my hand up my back..

Stood slap bang in the middle of the road and give them the come on then gesture..

The whole lot stopped dead.. and then sat there.. another bunch of abusive lycra luvies with big mouths and small testicles then !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Quote:-
"Driving around with fog lamps on when they are not needed"

This is a pet hate of mine, we thought it was just rife in Dumfries and Galloway, we always notice this when we come back into our region from being away:Doh:
Bill

Mine too, but, what is the difference between fog lights and the new daytime running lights ?

Usually the DRL are more distracting.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back