Felixstowe in Suffolk and Banning Motorhomes Bylaw (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
It is a Bylaw which a lot of Residents are trying to get made to ban Motorhomes from parking up on Seafront, why ?

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Is it possible to get a copy of the bylaws?
Is it possible to get a copy of the bylaws?
I don't think the Bylaw is made yet, it's just a request I think , if I find out any more I'll let the Forum know, all I know is most Motorhomes park with 2 wheels up on Prom. I suspect this is because of the road camber , some leave their grey water taps open all the time I have seen this when I have been on seafront , and where does the grey water go straight down in the sea where children and Adults are in the sea ? and we wonder why some Motorhomers are not popular !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I don't think the Bylaw is made yet, it's just a request I think , if I find out any more I'll let the Forum know, all I know is most Motorhomes park with 2 wheels up on Prom. I suspect this is because of the road camber , some leave their grey water taps open all the time I have seen this when I have been on seafront , and where does the grey water go straight down in the sea where children and Adults are in the sea ? and we wonder why some Motorhomers are not popular !!
Oh no ! Not soapy water in the sea surely ! x:-)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Most people think anything coming out of a motorhome is gunge and think it’s filthy. So the seafront gutter is not really the place to empty anything.
I often go to Felixstowe and use the car parks, the owners of the big seafront houses are generally a miserable bunch who will report anything they see, so don’t give them reasons to complain.
Phil

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I note from your avatar that you’re in Turkey.

I’m sure all the crud from the underneath of cars and other vehicles i.e. salt, diesel, oil etc, not to mention bird and dog sh1t takes the same route into the sea that the soapy water does.

Oh and whilst I remember where do you think the grey water from all those ships goes? We happened to be in Tenerife on a cruise ship one New Year’s Eve. The ship berthed behind us, an ex ferry ship, had to put to sea at 7pm returning in time for the firework display at midnight - the reason the ship went out was to discharge its effluent tanks as all the toilets on board wouldn’t flush properly.

As an aside grey water from narrowboats on the inland waterways goes straight into the cut (canal), which ultimately will also end up in the sea.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Most people think anything coming out of a motorhome is gunge and think it’s filthy. So the seafront gutter is not really the place to empty anything.
I often go to Felixstowe and use the car parks, the owners of the big seafront houses are generally a miserable bunch who will report anything they see, so don’t give them reasons to complain.
Phil

There is no right to a sea view even if your house is on the sea front.

That won't stop them complaining to the Council if a MH interrupts their sea view.

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Durning storm conditions there may be some discharge to the sea through interceptors but direct discharge to the sea was stopped many years ago not sure why this impression continuous one of the reasons why coastal areas pay more for water
Neil

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
The use of the sea as a rubbish disposal dump is far more damaging to the environment than all the "climate change" nonsense that is being bandied about.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I added a thread a while back about a guy who arrives for months every year in his motorhome at Ayr beach, now this area is deeply Tory & defensive about their area.
I felt that he is potentially going to spoil it for other wild campers who arrive & head off after a nice nights stay which seems to be tolerated.
I was astonished by the amount of forum members who pilloried me for feeling aggrieved by this guys inconsiderate approach to wild camping.
I was accused of being against him as he's disabled, but I'm disabled, the same was said as his motorhome is old, my motorhome is old.
Basically I was told to leave the "harmless old guy in peace!", but this new thread shows why I disagree with people abusing wild camping spots in populated areas., abusing the privilege gets the hackles up on residents.

Wild Brambles

Free Member
Nov 11, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
2 years
Digital nomads should do a bit of litter picking. Sitting around in cafes, and using the computer for hours, isn't god for your health. Spend a bit of time in the car park, or on the beach collecting rubbish - the exercise will help to keep your joints supple.

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Some people think it's OK to let what some people say is soapy water to drain out anywhere well let me educate you it's washing up water with the chemicals food bits nd grease that's coming out why do you think it smells so bad .

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
I added a thread a while back about a guy who arrives for months every year in his motorhome at Ayr beach, now this area is deeply Tory & defensive about their area.
I felt that he is potentially going to spoil it for other wild campers who arrive & head off after a nice nights stay which seems to be tolerated.
I was astonished by the amount of forum members who pilloried me for feeling aggrieved by this guys inconsiderate approach to wild camping.
I was accused of being against him as he's disabled, but I'm disabled, the same was said as his motorhome is old, my motorhome is old.
Basically I was told to leave the "harmless old guy in peace!", but this new thread shows why I disagree with people abusing wild camping spots in populated areas., abusing the privilege gets the hackles up on residents.

Leave the harmless old guy in peace. The meddling busybodies will complain if we stop one night or 20 nights. It's just the way they are. There were plenty spaces for other disabled to park there (20 spaces)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
There is no right to a sea view even if your house is on the sea front.

That won't stop them complaining to the Council if a MH interrupts their sea view.

From memory, there are not many places in Felixstowe where MHs would block the view of residential premises nor even hotels.

The places with a steep camber are near the Fludyers (Undercliffe Rd East) where homes are mainly on high ground on the cliff and the pavement is loaded with beach huts.

Undercliff Rd West has quite small, chargeable parking places but no homes, mainly cafes and a park.

Sea Rd has numerous hotels and amusements on the landward side with parking predominantly on the seaward side, followed by a reasonably high brick wall, a large grassy area, a hedge and a promenade which must cut out most sea views!

Presumably someone with an axe to grind: any campsite owners on the council?

Gordon

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

But where he is/ was, parked up he is not spoiling anyone's view and it is a car park where motor homes are allowed to park.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Does that
I note from your avatar that you’re in Turkey.

I’m sure all the crud from the underneath of cars and other vehicles i.e. salt, diesel, oil etc, not to mention bird and dog sh1t takes the same route into the sea that the soapy water does.

Oh and whilst I remember where do you think the grey water from all those ships goes? We happened to be in Tenerife on a cruise ship one New Year’s Eve. The ship berthed behind us, an ex ferry ship, had to put to sea at 7pm returning in time for the firework display at midnight - the reason the ship went out was to discharge its effluent tanks as all the toilets on board wouldn’t flush properly.

As an aside grey water from narrowboats on the inland waterways goes straight into the cut (canal), which ultimately will also end up in the sea.
Does that mean you approve of adding to it whoever you may be

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
WE have been down this road so many times on this and other Forum. The fact is, It is all about "perception", whether or not the view is interrupted, or the grey is foul, is not the issue, Those who have complained are those who will complain about anything which interrupts their fixed perceptions of what is happening. The fact that there may be 20 disabled spaces, does not detract from that which is perceived and which will in the end result in a Ban. Because THEY LIVE THERE, and ergo in one way or another have the "ear" of the L-A. The best "WE" can do is behave in a manner which is NOT seen as "taking the "p"". The small minority that we are, will never acheive any more, "aire`s" in the UK are pie in the sky. Stay short, be seen to stay clean, and move on. Be discreet, "parking" for days on end, in full view of the "locals", will inevitably get the whole "movement" a worse name then we already have. Even though "WE" know it is a relative minority of persistent FLT`s.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
But where he is/ was, parked up he is not spoiling anyone's view and it is a car park where motor homes are allowed to park.

You've just confirmed exactly what I've been talking about.
If the old boy was parked up away from a populated area, that'd be fine & anyone getting annoyed about that should take a good long look at themselves.

So to sum up what I'm getting at is that councils & locals get the humph when people abuse a
wild camping spot & there's always some who take it to extremes.
I think that's a great shame for those who behave themselves.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The latest proposals to deal with the "blight" of "Travellers", will IMV see an end to this issue anyway, as they stand I beleive that the POLICE will be given powers to move "You/Them" on after 24 or 48 hrs. It is some way off, but In some respects could work for those of us who want to use a facility short term and reduce the number of "abuser's". As I have said in a Previous post. If you want to sit by the seaside for the full summer season? sell the van and buy a static on a campsite.

OP
OP
T
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
There you go some say I'll camp where I want ,dump my Grey water where I want , do what I want in any place I want , never mind about the Rate paying Residents where I go, and , how dare you spoil my Wild camping, this is a recipe for disaster for those of us who respect the places we go and treat the envoirment correctly.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Another good reason why we should all campaign for councils to provide aires in all towns,
See Post #18 on that one. There are not enough of us to persuade councils to put money into such a project. It IS cheaper for them to "Ban". The cost of a bit of a clean-up, plus some extension of existing enforcement will be the cheaper option. The cost of providing and maintaining a "Aire" system, would be far greater and would be oposed by Locals, as being a waste of their council taxes, and by those with "Vested Interest". Sorry but IMV that is the Hard Fact!

If you do a search on this forum (and others). The subject gets raised regularly.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
The latest proposals to deal with the "blight" of "Travellers", will IMV see an end to this issue anyway, as they stand I beleive that the POLICE will be given powers to move "You/Them" on after 24 or 48 hrs. It is some way off, but In some respects could work for those of us who want to use a facility short term and reduce the number of "abuser's". As I have said in a Previous post. If you want to sit by the seaside for the full summer season? sell the van and buy a static on a campsite.
agree whole heartedly I as a FLT very rarely stay more than 48 hours in one place more likely to be 24 for longer stops I try talking to friendly farmers or small site owners, marinas are quite good.

romany

Free Member
Jul 3, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Wildax aurura xl
Exp
since 2014 camping since1968
See Post #18 on that one. There are not enough of us to persuade councils to put money into such a project. It IS cheaper for them to "Ban". The cost of a bit of a clean-up, plus some extension of existing enforcement will be the cheaper option. The cost of providing and maintaining a "Aire" system, would be far greater and would be oposed by Locals, as being a waste of their council taxes, and by those with "Vested Interest". Sorry but IMV that is the Hard Fact!

If you do a search on this forum (and others). The subject gets raised regularly.
Perhaps we should lobby those so called two big camping clubs (sorry business) to run a few aires at aires type prices

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Digital nomads should do a bit of litter picking. Sitting around in cafes, and using the computer for hours, isn't god for your health. Spend a bit of time in the car park, or on the beach collecting rubbish - the exercise will help to keep your joints supple.
We regularly do beach cleans, some organised, but more often than not, it will be an impromptu clean up while out walking the dog. Similarly, I often take a bag with me when walking in my local woods.
You’re right, gentle exercise is good, with free fresh air !

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This is just a continuation of stopping the abuse by motorhome users along the East Anglian coastline. As they are restricted from abusing one popular venue they find another then another etc. There are not that many free overnight spots now left along this spectacular coast. While motorhome users continue to abuse their freedom, councils and residence will continue to introduce these restrictions.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back