Feeling bad I didn’t wave back ... (1 Viewer)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We need to know about official motorhome waving etiquette.

Our moho is a Hymercar PVC with Motorhomefun stickers on front and rear.

Should we wave at all motor caravans including coach built, A Class and PVC or are we only allowed to wave at PVC or should we only wave at all Hymer motorhomes.

Sometimes it can be be difficult to spot an actual PVC motorhome from a distance and have enough time to wave.

Other times we can feel a bit self-conscious being in a PVC and waving forlonely at a massive liner passing by.

Advice please.

Mark

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Should we wave at all motor caravans including coach built, A Class and PVC or are we only allowed to wave at PVC or should we only wave at all Hymer motorhomes.

Sometimes it can be be difficult to spot an actual PVC motorhome from a distance and have enough time to wave.

Other times we can feel a bit self-conscious being in a PVC and waving forlonely at a massive liner passing by.

Advice please.

Mark
If they're close enough to see the fun stickers I'd get worried!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I wave at everything, buses police vans cado, tesco delivery vans and quite oftn manage to catch a few PVCs was following John todya near Knresborough he was in coachbuilt I was behind in my doblo, he got a few nice waves but everyone ignored me :cry:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Sedge used to wave at Mohos when driving her car too, and yes people probably thought she was a mad woman - so you're by no means alone in doing that, don't worry about it.

When in our Moho - we get far more waves in France than we ever do in Britain, but there again, the state of the traffic these days here, it's debatable whether waving is a good thing or not .….. We have this ongoing conversation along the lines of 'OK you miserable git!' - so the next Moho you don't bother waving and they do, you can't win! - so - just please yourselves!

Captain Pants

Free Member
Dec 19, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg PVC
Exp
Since 1982
When I was into to classic cars I’d wave at others as seeing each other on the road was quite unusual, but waving at hundreds of motorhomes......no, I don’t think so. That said, I’d probably wave at another Weinsberg PVC as we’re few and far between.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Didnt wave eh? (n) dont expect your Tesco home delivery will ever arrive now, word gets about dont ya know:giggle:
Having said that, some only wave to Ocado or Waitrose vans, as they are Mercs with double wheel rear axles.
:giggle:
Cover your rear end and wave to all vans, just in case eh?:LOL:
LES

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Had a French van coming towards me both driver and passenger raised both hands and waved like loonies. Bet they wouldn't speak to me if they were next to me on an Aire.

It's called the "brexit" wave:LOL:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
35 years ago (I just done the math) when travelling in Europe you waved as Brit registrations were not every other vehicle. Then a few years ago when travelling for some time with a coach driver who was driving for a very large intercity express service (you know the one red white and blue) he was like one of those Chinese cats at every vehicle in the same livery.
Wave or not to wave buy a cat shove it on the front and wave to everyone. 1583667477662.png

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Had a French van coming towards me both driver and passenger raised both hands and waved like loonies. Bet they wouldn't speak to me if they were next to me on an Aire.
Bit like most motorhome users then
Bill

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I have to admit, I'm too busy to wave and like someone has already mentioned, you could wave back at someone and then park next to them and they probably wouldn't even say hello? It's what makes you happy I suppose.
I dont wave at all black cars when I'm not in the van so why should I wave at all mohos.
"I didn't see the cars had stopped in front officer, I was waving at the Autotrail going the other way" hope the judge understands?

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.

Advice please.

Mark
New to MotorHoming as you can see.
QUESTION
How close/far away is it acceptable to wave /not wave.
Asking as was travelling back on M5 / M6 at weekend and wondered is it acceptable to NOT wave to another MH /PVC if they are on the far side of the motorway, because half the time you cannot even see the driver/crew never mind their hands. Also on the motorway loads at present so could get tiring raising the salute.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It’s totally acceptable not to wave probably a complete stranger and you have nothing in common other than being on the same road,it’s completely outdated do you wave to everyone you pass in the supermarket! They would lock you up.:rolleyes:

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
We are new to motor homing, we are currently touring the Scottish coast and I wave at every MH we pass, but mainly because swmbo doesn’t like me doing so, So I do it all the more.

But yesterday we were on a ferry from Mallaig to Skye, we pulled onto the ferry and parked alongside another MH, As I stopped level with the cab next door the lady in the passenger seat had the window open, as did I, so I bid her a friendly “good morning” she just closed the window.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back