Feeling bad I didn’t wave back ... (2 Viewers)

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Yes

Attachments

• 18F068A6-3813-447D-8550-3DA5F093E216.jpeg
    18F068A6-3813-447D-8550-3DA5F093E216.jpeg
    114.8 KB · Views: 16

Deleted User
Waving is a pleasant custom. It’s no more outdated than saying hello to complete strangers when you are out walking. It’s an enriching part of normal human interaction.
Is it a north south divide. In most places in Scotland and Northern England just about everyone you walk past will smile and say good morning, afternoon but try saying it to someone down south they usually just blank you and walk straight past as if you didn't exist.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
If you said hello to everyone you passed in London you’d soon get fed up or locked up

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Is it a north south divide. In most places in Scotland and Northern England just about everyone you walk past will smile and say good morning, afternoon but try saying it to someone down south they usually just blank you and walk straight past as if you didn't exist.
How far ‘down south’ do you have to go before this kicks in.......? We live in the Cotswolds, and most folk respond in kind (apart from the Smombies who just look startled!)
;) (y) :cool:

Deleted User
How far ‘down south’ do you have to go before this kicks in.......? We live in the Cotswolds, and most folk respond in kind (apart from the Smombies who just look startled!
;) (y) :cool:
Some areas excluded such as more rural places. It seem the busy areas, cities once you get south of midlands.

faraway

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 10, 2016
Kent
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 10
Exp
Getting better
When I collected my motorhome, I had quite a long drive home and was nervous and on my own. The people in the first motorhome I passed gave me a very enthusiastic wave which made me grin for ages. It made me feel that motorhomers are a friendly lot and I enjoyed the rest of the drive. I’ve waved at motorhomes ever since👍

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
We need to know about official motorhome waving etiquette.

Our moho is a Hymercar PVC with Motorhomefun stickers on front and rear.

Should we wave at all motor caravans including coach built, A Class and PVC or are we only allowed to wave at PVC or should we only wave at all Hymer motorhomes.

Sometimes it can be be difficult to spot an actual PVC motorhome from a distance and have enough time to wave.

Other times we can feel a bit self-conscious being in a PVC and waving forlonely at a massive liner passing by.

Advice please.

Mark

We wave at anyone close enough to see us - that includes the odd horse box and Tesco van!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When we had the " normal " motorhome, we used to wave at any others we saw and got quite a few back, when we set up with the yella thing we still waved but never got any back so give up but b.......me we were on the road in Belgium the other day and a Belgian MH driver and his passenger waved to us, we were so surprised we didn't have time to wave back, felt a bit bad about it at the time. But no intention of starting again.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Should we wave at all motor caravans including coach built, A Class and PVC or are we only allowed to wave at PVC or should we only wave at all Hymer motorhomes.

Sometimes it can be be difficult to spot an actual PVC motorhome from a distance and have enough time to wave.

Other times we can feel a bit self-conscious being in a PVC and waving forlonely at a massive liner passing by.

Advice please.

Mark
If one has a Hymer one should only wave at those people who are also in a Hymer. But, as you are in a PVC "starter" Hymer, rather than a proper one, you should only expect to get a nod of the head back. You can then look forward to the day when you too get a proper Hymer and a proper wave back .............. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Wh
If one has a Hymer one should only wave at those people who are also in a Hymer. But, as you are in a PVC "starter" Hymer, rather than a proper one, you should only expect to get a nod of the head back. You can then look forward to the day when you too get a proper Hymer and a proper wave back .............. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Whats a Hymer........................ :rofl: :rofl:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Coming back from Cromer I waved (passenger for a change) at motorhomes and mad a point of waving to pvcs only got 1 response from those, none from VW campers, but loads from other coachbuilts/A class and a coiple of startled horsebox drivers.
To update on my first post have now had several waves when in Dobbie, and 2, coachbuilt drivers, waved first :giggle:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Advice please.

Mark

Don't worry about it.
SWMBO has been waving at Tesco and DHL delivery drivers for years.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have noticed since lockdown lifted we have been wave at by a lot more motorhomes than before. It used to be coach builds only. Now it’s PVC,s and A class as well. Maybe people are just glad to out on the move again.
When we bought our fist van I thought there was something wrong when people were waving at us. Eventually I realised they were just being freindly.

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Had Someone in a motorhome wave at us last weekend as we headed north on the M74. They were heading south 6 lanes apart. Whats that all about?:LOL:

Feb 5, 2018
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Minimal, but learning fast.
We wave at Motorhomes... and PVC's ...and delivery vans... and just about everything approximately the right size and shape.... Even when we're in the car... or recently when out for a walk! Seems like its become a habit since we bought our PVC 18 months ago, and folk started waving at us. Nice friendly thing to do. We get a lot of smiles and conversations started when parked up in our van too. :giggle:

Ukbandit

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 8, 2014
Barnsley, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t wave, I don’t know you, I don’t want to know you, stop waving at me.:coolest:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Well, I have a child, so we wave at everyone. Abroad, I only fuss my lights at the belts (apologies to whomever I saw on the N29 on Wednesday. I was trying to figure out the cruise control. I did speed up a bit in your honour!)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back