Fed up with Fiat Recall (1 Viewer)

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
Took our 17 plate Fiat in to the garage for assessment for latest recall 4 weeks ago. We were told they would order the parts and call us back in. They told us not to use the vehicle in the interim. Chased them up but they say there is a 4-6 week delay in getting the parts. Are others experiencing this problem?

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
We had an issue with an uncoded key in November, when we got it sorted at Vospers in November they checked and we did need the replacement. We called in when passing in January to say that most of the parts had arrived but they were still waiting for a nut and washer. The bits arrived, but we have now had to wait a further 2 weeks for a workshop slot. Going in for the work tomorrow.

We were told all parts required have to be ordered individually, why didn't Fiat put together a kit of parts to complete the job to minimise inconvenience and hassle for owners and garages.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Unfortunately Fiat have always been a very high recall manufacturer. There policy appears to be let the customer find the fault and fob them off. I've had fiat and Peugeot conversions for over 35 years and I still rate them as a builders van, rough as a dog.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We had a fair delay with the bits arriving for the EGR recall, which has now been sorted.

However Travelworld made no mention of not being able to use the vehicle in the meantime, so although I’m not certain of which recalls you have outstanding it might be worth seeing if there is a Fiat customer helpline in which you can ask whether or not you can safely use the vehicle in the meantime.

To me there’s a lot of diffence between “the item might fail and cause you to go into limp mode or breakdown” and “if you use it the vehicle will fail with catastrophic consequences”.

AFIK the recalls fit the former category and I’d keep using it.

We were told when we picked up from the EGR work that another recall had been issues for a throttle body clip, I’ve booked in for June to have that work done and will be using the MH in the meantime. Travelworld were quite relaxed about that.

But it’s your call at the end of the day!

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Well, our van went in yesterday for the egr recall. They discovered a cracked pipe so had to order that, and also confirmed that our van is affected by the latest recall so ordered that as well.

OP
OP
SKI Mobile

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
We called our garage on Wednesday for an update. They are now saying they have no idea how long it will take for the parts to come through. Come on Fiat - we want to use our Moho next month!

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Before the vehicle goes in have you checked this week's recall . I would want any recall work done in one visit .

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Took it in for initial inspection on Dec 19, nothing heard about a repair date yet. Needed for a holiday trip in a few weeks. Ho hum.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Contacted Vospers yesterday for an update, it would appear that 10 days after leaving our van with them to be repaired they still don't have all the parts, they say Fiat have to authorise replacement of the cracked pipe.
We need our van back by 9 March, but have been told "they will do their best to resolve the issues in time"

We have not been able to use our van since November and now getting really p1$$ed off with Fiat.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Van inspected 3rd week December. Needs EGR. Still waiting for some of the parts to arrive. Frustrated but life is to short to worry about it.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry, but I would just keep using it and insist THEY ring YOU when all the parts are in stock.
You've obviously been using it up to now with no problem.

I got a recall a couple of years ago for my Chrysler for an airbag fault and get regular reminders to get it fixed.......its in my garage on SORN and if they think I'm taxing and insuring just so they can clear it from their books they can whistle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Am I missing something here? Like most I have a fiat ducato and have not received a single recall. Do I need to register with someone or something?
Have you got the Fiat camper Assist app on you phone, if not download it and enter your VIN number.It will let you know about recalls straight away.
What years is you van & version is your van? The only recalls at the moment only effect X290 Euro 6 engines.

Reactions: TCG
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Have you got the Fiat camper Assist app on you phone, if not download it and enter your VIN number.It will let you know about recalls straight away.
What years is you van & version is your van? The only recalls at the moment only effect X290 Euro 6 engines.
Thanks for that. It’s a 3 litre 2011 plate.

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Newbies to motorhoming - purchasedJune 2017
We had a fair delay with the bits arriving for the EGR recall, which has now been sorted.

However Travelworld made no mention of not being able to use the vehicle in the meantime, so although I’m not certain of which recalls you have outstanding it might be worth seeing if there is a Fiat customer helpline in which you can ask whether or not you can safely use the vehicle in the meantime.

To me there’s a lot of diffence between “the item might fail and cause you to go into limp mode or breakdown” and “if you use it the vehicle will fail with catastrophic consequences”.

AFIK the recalls fit the former category and I’d keep using it.

We were told when we picked up from the EGR work that another recall had been issues for a throttle body clip, I’ve booked in for June to have that work done and will be using the MH in the meantime. Travelworld were quite relaxed about that.

But it’s your call at the end of the day!

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Travel world would be relaxed about recall booking in June as apparently stopped trading !

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
OP
OP
SKI Mobile

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
We’re still waiting! In my now weekly call to NE Truck & Van I found out that there are still people waiting for their ‘fix’ who took their vehicles in before Christmas and we are way down the list. They would like to think we will be sorted by April but can’t guarantee it and can’t do the more recent recall at the same time until they have assessed our vehicle and got the necessary permission and ordered the parts. FIAT this is hopeless!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We’re still waiting! In my now weekly call to NE Truck & Van I found out that there are still people waiting for their ‘fix’ who took their vehicles in before Christmas and we are way down the list. They would like to think we will be sorted by April but can’t guarantee it and can’t do the more recent recall at the same time until they have assessed our vehicle and got the necessary permission and ordered the parts. FIAT this is hopeless!
The latest recall on our vehicle, the Intercooler clip, was handled by one of our FIAT Professional garages within ten days. No need to have the vehicle assessed, it was done on the VIN in one phone call. The original date for fitting had to be put back 24 hrs as the parts arrived one day later than expected.

Other FIAT Professional garages, locally, couldn’t fit us in before our trip next week but none requested to “assess” the vehicle first.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
i doubt that this is the end of the recalls after all we are doing research and development for fiat for nothing

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Update! Having read all your posts and being paranoid that our new van was on the recall list, as we hadn't heard a word from anyone, I phoned Chelstons our dealers this afternoon to check.
We were told that yes our van was on the recall list for recall ref 6172 (Manicotto) which is the throttle body clip, but no recall needed on our van for the EGR pipe replacement.
I asked Chelstons why we were having to check the recall status on our van ourselves, and was told that a letter from Fiat would be in the post to us shortly.
Chelstons then advised me to book it into our nearest Fiat Service dept asap. Which is also strange as they are a Fiat Approved workshop and can do repairs and servicing???
So having given up on trying to get the Fiat Camper Assist website to work ( security error problems), I contacted our nearest Fiat Commercial dealership and they said once they receive the new clip they would book us in near the 12th of March for a 10 minute job.
I cant help but think that we could have been half way down Europe, with no idea that there was a potential problem, we have the App on our phone also, but that tells us nothing, no e-mails from anyone either, just pleased its not a major concern like the EGR pipe would have been.
Good luck to all of us, I think we may need some.
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
So having given up on trying to get the Fiat Camper Assist website to work ( security error problems),
Why not download the Fiat Camper Assist app to your phone, once downloaded all you need to do is enter your VIN number the first time you use it.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
i doubt that this is the end of the recalls after all we are doing research and development for fiat for nothing
On our 3rd new Ducato based Motorhome, no recalls on the last 2, this one had the EGR recall but didn't need anything doing, going in for the clip on Thursday.
I would rather Fiat recalled the van for something minor when you look at the alternative like Fords history with people getting killed in Pintos & Explorers and Ford saying there's no problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
@TinaL Just read your post again you say you have the app, click on Chassis (traffic Light Icon), it will show a Green traffic light if all OK or Red if a recall and tell you to contact your nearest dealer.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Why not download the Fiat Camper Assist app to your phone, once downloaded all you need to do is enter your VIN number the first time you use it.
Yes Thanks Lenny, but the question that must be asked surely, is why should we have to check Fiats Camper Assist in the first place?, I mean, we dont have to do this on a regular or even irregular basis for any other car/vehicle we have owned, or currently own.
Its only because of feedback from this forum that we probably all go on these apps to check, which IMHO shouldn't be required, as either our MH Dealers or Fiat should contact US in the first instant.
They may of course do that,and it may indeed be in the post to us, but as I said being as its a MH we could be away for months not knowing there is a problem, so if there is an app which there is with Fiat, why dont they send a text to inform us so we can then check the recall status, and get the van checked over.
Thanks for your assistance on this thread, I will now see if I can get the camper assist app to finally work, God give me patience.
Les

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just with the amount affected on here it would have been /would be worth getting together & instituting a class action.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes Thanks Lenny, but the question that must be asked surely, is why should we have to check Fiats Camper Assist in the first place?, I mean, we dont have to do this on a regular or even irregular basis for any other car/vehicle we have owned, or currently own.
Its only because of feedback from this forum that we probably all go on these apps to check, which IMHO shouldn't be required, as either our MH Dealers or Fiat should contact US in the first instant.
They may of course do that,and it may indeed be in the post to us, but as I said being as its a MH we could be away for months not knowing there is a problem, so if there is an app which there is with Fiat, why dont they send a text to inform us so we can then check the recall status, and get the van checked over.
Thanks for your assistance on this thread, I will now see if I can get the camper assist app to finally work, God give me patience.
Les
You don't you can wait for the paper version but often several weeks behind if it's non urgent also I don't know if your dealer has got your van onto the Fiat database, mine being a personal import doesn't get onto the data base until a UK Fiat dealer has seen the V5 and passed the info to Fiat.
Bear in mind the Motorhome dealers normally wash their hands of the Fiat part of the vehicle.

RVFUN

Free Member
May 7, 2017
Chatham Kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Champagne 694
Exp
Both our fiat recalls done now thank goodness. Luckily both recalls were quick to do as no damage caused.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Spoke to Vospers yesterday, Fiat UK honcho visit postponed until next week. I am thinking of making a complaint to VOSA, Fiat initiated the safety recall and because the failed part has had a knock on effect and caused more extensive damage ( our heat exchange pipe is cracked) they are denying that the recall is necessary.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back