OP
OP
SKI Mobile

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
We’d still be waiting we’re it not for the fact that we part exchanged our Moho on Thursday. Very happy with our beautiful new purchase and we can use it rather than just look at it. RESULT!

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
Got mine back yesterday after a 4 week stint in the garage. It was nice and shiny when it went in now it’s mawkit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 5, 2014
Jersey
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RD
Exp
Since 2013. 20+ years caravanning before the MH
This recall thing seems only to be getting worse. We live in Jersey, our local Fiat Dealer is commercials only and doesn't want to know motorhomes (may get damaged on the premises). Heard of the EGR recall when getting warranty work done at Northern Commercials in Brighouse, in October. Couldn't get the work done then because they didn't have the parts. No suggestion of not to drive the vehicle. Notified of the recall by Fiat late December. Currently have the inspection arranged for June in Southampton with a plan for the work to be done in October if it can't be done in June. I guess we may have to call the Fiat emergency breakdown as we intend to visit the south of France and UK in the meantime. Fiat don't get any Brownie points for Customer Care.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
This recall thing seems only to be getting worse. We live in Jersey, our local Fiat Dealer is commercials only and doesn't want to know motorhomes (may get damaged on the premises). Heard of the EGR recall when getting warranty work done at Northern Commercials in Brighouse, in October. Couldn't get the work done then because they didn't have the parts. No suggestion of not to drive the vehicle. Notified of the recall by Fiat late December. Currently have the inspection arranged for June in Southampton with a plan for the work to be done in October if it can't be done in June. I guess we may have to call the Fiat emergency breakdown as we intend to visit the south of France and UK in the meantime. Fiat don't get any Brownie points for Customer Care.
Sorry to read about your recall situation, as I mentioned earlier, we had the same problem with our "Local" Fiat Professional garage, in that they looked like they only did large commercial lorries mainly, and I was like you scared our new van may be damaged if left with them.
Having been advised of another Fiat Garage in Crawley Sussex by another Funster member, I called them gave them my name, Reg Number and engine size, they confirmed it was just the "Clip" for the throttle body, and said bring along next Wednesday 21 st March, "we will have the part by then" which they did. So we went on the given day, there were other MH being serviced alongside Fiat Vans & VW Vans. The reception could not be bettered, we were offered coffee, the mechanic worked on the van outside, replaced the clip and we were on our way in less than an hour, so 10/10 for Fiat Crawley.
If your recall is for the EGR replacement, then I would not drive it any great distance like south of France, as if it cracks you will break down, and need a low loader to take your van to the nearest Fiat Dealership in that country, where you may have to leave it while they get the parts....so end of holiday, and maybe stuck for a way to get home.
I would recommend that you call every Fiat workshop in the south of England ( Crawley First) and arrange for them to do the EGR pipe replacement ASAP, and Before you drive any distance, to avoid any massive disappointment to your holiday plans.
That way you should get an earlier date for the fix to be done, and they should get the parts and confirm before you bring the van over.
Good luck to you, let us know how you get on with getting a garage appointment sorted out.
Les

woodman

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Funster No
Hi. We are new to this site and only just joined to add to the debate on Fiat re-calls. Sounds like may of you have lots of unwanted experience....well we are getting it! We bought our Hymer in December last year, a 2017 model, 9 months old and all ready for a 12 month European tour. We set out in January and have had a few niggles in the first 2 months...but then the first re-call from Hymer for a wheel nut problem....sounded dodgy so we called into a dealer in Spain for a fix. Then we looked up re-calls and found we had 2 outstanding for the clip and EGR. Our dealer said we should phone Fiat....this was 12 days ago. We did and eventually spoke to someone who said, don't drive the vehicle and we will be in touch. We have phoned twice a day, every day since and we have a catalogue of speaking to different people and being fed complete b******t!!! You couldn't make up the lies we have listened to....Then we realised that the EGR problem pre-dated the purchase and DVSA advice is clear, dealers should ensure they sort outstanding re-calls before selling on, or face prosecution......so they would be breaking the law. Our dealer makes out they are trying to sort it, but how can they when Fiat will only deal with the owner of the vehicle and nearly 2 weeks later we are parked up, not able to move. As it is a safety re-call our insurance would be invalidated if we drove and had an accident. We are putting pressure on our dealer but we now have to go legal because between them and Fiat, we are getting nowhere and all Hymer do is hide in the background although it is their reputation that is in the limelight. We wish we had never started......our European dream is in tatters. I have never owned, or wanted to own, a Fiat car......now I know why!!!!

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Are these recalls just for motorhomes or all their vans.

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Was abroad with van when the EGR recall letter arrived so knew nothing about it. My Fiat Pro agent (it's already been back a couple of times) phoned me to ask why I hadn't been in touch, talked it through and I thought, well that's pretty proactive. Booked it in for Tuesday this week (3rd April). Took it in first thing, was led to believe I would be able to pick it up later same day. Hah!
After various "chats" and a visit today, what they are telling me is that they have to send a video of the problem part to Fiat, who will decide whether it needs replaced or not. If yes, the part will have to be ordered, delivered, and fitted.
If no, come and pick up your van. Middle of next week earliest.
"But", I asked, "what if they're wrong and it subsequently fails?" No problem, you'll have a letter from Fiat so you'll be OK. "Costwise maybe, but hassle wise what if I'm in some remote part of Europe, or Wales?" Ermmmm!
Not hugely urgent, just back from 2 months in Spain but organised for a Scottish trip early May, so fingers crossed. Plus the dealer needs to sort out a few habitation issues before we go away again.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I cant understand why Fiat need Video evidence from one of their trusted approved dealerships for a well known EGR fault. If the pipes cracks open before its replaced more parts will be required to be replaced, so its false economy I would say not to ship out replacement parts to all Ducato dealerships and Fiat pro Garages.
Doing it this way just sours relationships all round, and as we can see screws up everyone's plans.
Maybe its clearer to see why there are not so many Ducato based fleet vans on the road as other brands. Many of which will have problems also, but parts are normally available on request.
I do really feel for you that are having to put plans on hold, or worse still stuck abroad somewhere. If were a car they would probably supply a courtesy vehicle, but with a MH theres no chance. They dont even offer any form of compensation either, and by all accounts an insufficient apology from Fiat.
Les

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
My MH has had the EGR fix (hooray!) but I am still waiting for the Fiat dealership to contact me to say they have the pipe "clip" for the 2nd recall, which is on order from Fiat. More chasing by me needed next week. It seems ridiculous to wait for such a simple part which is basically a big jubilee clip I could probably get from any motor factor or even Halfords.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
finally...........we are booked on for fri morning (the 13th, that bodes well???) to have the clip recall sorted, seems from previous posts its a 0.2 hour job booked, so taking off two sh!t clips which should be jubilee style clips, ie, adjustable, which the fiat ones arent (read massive cheap fail in terms of design and longevity) we should be up to date in terms of recalls...............watch this space...........really........

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow reading through this thread what a bloody catalogue of shambles it is, feel so sorry for the messing around that owners are having to go through, on expensive motorhomes at that.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Wow reading through this thread what a bloody catalogue of shambles it is, feel so sorry for the messing around that owners are having to go through, on expensive motorhomes at that.

otherwise known as ...................fiats r&d dept..............:rolleyes:

locsuna

Free Member
Dec 23, 2016
North East
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
since 2014
There seems to be a lot of mis information given by dealers/garages. I found out about the recall in Sept last year while in Spain. Panicked, googled it and found it referred to Aus supplied camshafts. No mention of this prob so I carried on regardless. I’d driven to the tip of Norway down to Spain carried on not returning from Tarifa until mid Nov. Rang my local Fiat Pro garage as my dealer is north of Stuttgart. Booked van in for five days time. Arrived van inspected and it needed egr clips, support pipe and a second pipi that was cracked already. I was told the parts would be a week from Italy so made an app for a week later. Got keys back and DROVE home and as daily driver for the next week. NO mention of not driviving and I’d probably already done 8-10 thousand miles with the fault!!! Turned up for the appointment andtold it would be a few hours. Phone call later stating as mine was LHD more work was involved so I should return to the dealer. On arrival I was presented with a loan car with fuel. Two days later I got the call to collect my van all done and dusted. All the work was done in a reasonable time with information and to the credit to the garage ASAP seeing as there are so many recalls. Sorry this is long but just wanted to give a different view. I’ve done 17000 miles in just over a year and the conversion by Dethleffs has given me many more probs than the Fiat van.

molson03

Free Member
Apr 16, 2018
East Anglia
Funster No
We've just been to the fiat dealer today for the EGR checkup. We're due a replacement :-(

When I asked what proportion of vans don't need it, they said less than 1%. Oh dear.

On the plus side, they have booked in the replacement for early May (2018 I think...), and said it's quicker now as fiat are starting to get their act together. Just in time for the half term (not that we can find a campsite for the bank hol weekend).

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I'm glad it's over and hopefully there isn't a 3rd recall for X290s in the pipeline. Had enough.

The most stressful bit for me is leaving my precious MH in the hands of their workshop fitters. I can't trust them. I had 2 mishaps with the previous VW when the idiots managed to collide with a fencepost or a wall, after which the MH had to go to their bodyshop for repairs and both times it was massively inconvenient and disruptive.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Right
So we had our recall sorted friday for the intercooler????? Clip / throttle body clip?????
Only found one clip replaced. ... took 1.5 hrs. Oh Please!......local fiat pro dealer less than impressive this time sadly and they jet washed it

..ok.....

Bar filling the fridge vents and behind with water .......

Fail

Oct 14, 2013
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
rollerteam zefiro
Exp
10 + years
Took ours in for the check today for the EGR pipe, they said take about an hour but it was done in 40 mins so was pleased about that..They are ordering the parts and said it will take 2-3 weeks for parts to arrive and then we can book it in at our convenience to be done..so thats good no holiday breaks cancelled as we will get it done in between(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back