Fed up with Fiat Recall (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2016
Bonnyrigg
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7057DBL
Exp
I was hoping there wouldn’t be a thread on this. Handed mine in on the 23rd and there was at least a dozen other Motorhomes in front of me in the queue. I have a feeling I won’t see it again till April

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Hi
You don't you can wait for the paper version but often several weeks behind if it's non urgent also I don't know if your dealer has got your van onto the Fiat database, mine being a personal import doesn't get onto the data base until a UK Fiat dealer has seen the V5 and passed the info to Fiat.
Bear in mind the Motorhome dealers normally wash their hands of the Fiat part of the vehicle.
l had to take my V5 in and Scania told me VIN is not put on the database automatically. Maybe others can comment. When the Moho needed a recall I got a letter from the manufacturer in Italy telling me of a problem with the gas bbq connection and needed replacement. You are right about washing hands. I had a problem with the diesel filler pipe work leaking and the dealer said Fiat problem. It cost them over £200 in labour charges from Scania to be told it wasn’t as it’s an A class Moho and not standard Fiat pipework. They should have known that and had to do the work themselves. Mike

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Well..... we went to the Manchester motorhome show in January and looked at many motorhomes. We decided we liked the Hobby motorhomes. After the show, we visited one of the dealers from the show and decided to buy, and paid deposit for, an unregistered 2017 model Hobby Optima (Fiat Ducato base) from their forecourt. We agreed collection date of 1st March so that we got the “18” registration (and some options fitted).
The paperwork we took Home gave the vehicle chassis number, and then I read about EGR recall on 2017 Fiat Ducato. So, I tested the chassis number on the VSA website, and, sure enough, the EGR recall applied.
I talked to the dealer, and they said “yes”, they knew all about it and would have it resolved before I collected the motorhome. They told me a few days later that they’d had some good arguments with the local Fiat workshop because Fiat didn’t want to do the recall work as the vehicle was unregistered.
Crazily, Fiat were expecting me to accept delivery of a new vehicle knowing that recall work was required, and then (presumably)keep it off the road awaiting Fiat to allow the recall work.
As it stands today, I am assured the recall work is now done and the motorhome is ready to collect (Good. )
We still haven’t got the motorhome as snow and Emma have got in the way. (Bad!)
How will I be sure that the recall work really is done?

....... we never had this problem with our 18 year old merc-base Rapido (but then again, the end did fall off the exhaust pipe somewhere in rural Germany)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How will I be sure that the recall work really is done?
Download the Fiat Camper Assist app and enter your VIN number, Then press the "Chassis" (traffic light icon) if it shows you a green traffic light all is good, if it show a red traffic light it need a recall.
Had my intercooler hose clip done on Thursday by Friday my app had updated to Green.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Download the Fiat Camper Assist app and enter your VIN number, Then press the "Chassis" (traffic light icon) if it shows you a green traffic light all is good, if it show a red traffic light it need a recall.
Had my intercooler hose clip done on Thursday by Friday my app had updated to Green.

I had mine done last Friday for the clip and was not recording a green traffic light till the Wednesday so It can take time before it is registered as done .

I was told by my dealer it could not have the recall work done till it was registered but if it needed the pipe recall done he would get it done the day on registration and we could still collect in the afternoon . But was okay on the pipe recall but after 3 weeks it had the clip recall .

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I had mine done last Friday for the clip and was not recording a green traffic light till the Wednesday so It can take time before it is registered as done.
Yes can sometimes take a bit longer, when I had mine checked for EGR it took a few days.
Good thing about the app is it works if your van is not on the database.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Further disappointment for us. our new van has a recall, not EGR, but throttle body clip, you know the one I guess.
Well I phoned up our local Fiat professional Service place in Guildford Surrey about 3 weeks ago, told the guy we had a Fiat Ducato X290 150 and that the Fiat App was telling us there was a recall on it.
Gave him the recall reference, and good news was that he booked it in for today!, the 12 March, but said he would order the parts and confirm booking.
Last week I did a dry run in the car to find the place on an industrial estate, went in an introduced myself, he pulled out the booking card, and confirmed the booking day, but said he still had to order the part.
He then confirmed that he would give us a call before today to confirm the part was in stock and to bring the van over to them.
Well despite chasing up in person last week, we have heard nothing, and i honestly dont feel like ringing them again today, will probably do it if I have to, later in the week, but there was a distinct lack of customer service compared with say our Audi dealers (nearly opposite).
I suppose they are not dealing so much with "the Public", they are more used to dealing with Haulage/delivery companies with company accounts.
Scruffy looking place as well, full of large DAF lorries, removal vans etc, wouldn't want to leave it with them, it would surely get damaged in their tight car park....might have to go much further afield I Fear.
Les
Not happy!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
If you don't mind traveling a bit further I can highly recommend Eurovans at Crawley I take mine there 30 miles from us even though we have dealer 2 miles from home. Like your one used to dealing in big trucks useless with Motorhomes.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I think I will @Lenny HB, many thanks.
Its also now apparent that our dealer down in Somerset (Chelstons) which are authorised Fiat service/repair engineers, didn't offer to do the recall work?. No money in it obviously
I will give them the benefit of the doubt, however naive that sounds, as maybe they were thinking of me in travelling distance terms from home to them, when they recommended me to take it to our "Nearest Fiat professional service centre" yea right!
Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
First took our Moho in on 10 Jan & still haven’t heard anything about a date for our recall fixes. Totally hacked off!
Complain to Fiat and find another dealer. The 2nd recall is only replacing a clip on the hose with a jubelee clip, no reason why they couldn't do that why you waited.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Got mine sorted yesterday. First inspected 19th December.

SKI Mobile have you complained to Fiat Professional Customer Service? I did and continued phoning every couple of days. I believe this helped.

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Our van went into Vospers on 7 February. They found that the EGR had actually failed and damaged the heat exchange. Fiat are being difficult about authorising the additional costly repairs. Last week I emailed Fiat UK CEO, and have received a reply from someone in customer services. I have also reported their delay in resolving a safety recall to DVSA. What seems to have had an effect is sending an email to our supplying dealer, Chelston to say that if our van is not repaired in the next 2 weeks we will be rejecting it as we have been unable to use it for 3 months and it is clearly not of satisfactory quality and asking for a full refund. They are now chasing Vospers and Fiat, clearly they don't want to have the van returned to them if they can avoid it.

OP
OP
SKI Mobile

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
Complain to Fiat and find another dealer. The 2nd recall is only replacing a clip on the hose with a jubelee clip, no reason why they couldn't do that why you waited.
We’ve tried contacting another dealer but they said we were better off just waiting with NE Truck & Van as we’d be added to the end of their waiting list.

OP
OP
SKI Mobile

SKI Mobile

Free Member
Aug 8, 2017
North Yorkshire
Funster No
Our van went into Vospers on 7 February. They found that the EGR had actually failed and damaged the heat exchange. Fiat are being difficult about authorising the additional costly repairs. Last week I emailed Fiat UK CEO, and have received a reply from someone in customer services. I have also reported their delay in resolving a safety recall to DVSA. What seems to have had an effect is sending an email to our supplying dealer, Chelston to say that if our van is not repaired in the next 2 weeks we will be rejecting it as we have been unable to use it for 3 months and it is clearly not of satisfactory quality and asking for a full refund. They are now chasing Vospers and Fiat, clearly they don't want to have the van returned to them if they can avoid it.
I can just see the whole of the coming season passing us by - time to jump ship!

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Our van is going in on Wednesday to have the hose clip recall sorted, however we have another problem which hopefully they will sort on the day. The heat shield, which is a flimsy bit of aluminium had completely shredded - see photo. Has anyone else had this problem? Van is only 8 months old.
P1020545.JPG
P1020545.JPG
P1020544.JPG

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Thanks to @Lenny HB,s recommendation, we have given up on our nearest Fiat Garage, as we haven't heard a word back although they did promise me that when the new clip arrived they would call. So phoned another Fiat Garage in Crawley, told them of the recall, gave my Reg No, they then said sure bring it in next Wednesday, we will do it while you wait!. Why cant they all be like that, and I dont have to trust that its not going to be damaged going in alongside huge lorries and removal trucks.
I must get underneath and check out that heat shield "Tin Foil" protector as that doesn't look like its going to last 5 minutes, Thanks @The Dude for the heads up.
PS: @Devon Sue we also bought from Chelstons, which as you know are also a Fiat authorised dealer, I was surprised when calling them a few weeks back, that they didnt say,oh bring it down, we will do it?
They obviously dont want to do warranty work, must ask them next time we speak.
Sorry to all you others that have been messed around by Fiat, especially now I know they have a history of recalls...Oh dear! What have we done?:eek::eek::eek:
Les

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
@TinaL we took our motorhome to Vospers in Plymouth as they are Fiat approved service dealer and only 6 miles from home as opposed to 70 miles from home for Chelston. If we had had to take our van back there I dare say we would be looking at a replacement engine

May 21, 2014
Llywel Brecon
Funster No
MH
Rapido M96
Exp
Since May 2014
Started our recall headache on the euro 6 when we received the letter on the 10th of December. It has taken until this Thursday 15 March for it to be completed. 3 Months loss of use, 4 visits to the Fiat Professional Dealer 42 miles away, £160 in fuel for the motorhome and car to deliver and collect the motorhome. EGR valve, pipe, cooler and the new clip together with software update carried out and all Fiat Customer Services will say is we can make a small gesture towards expenses. Manufacturer of motorhome says Fiat will only cover parts and labour on the warranty items as per the warranty document conditions.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
@TinaL we took our motorhome to Vospers in Plymouth as they are Fiat approved service dealer and only 6 miles from home as opposed to 70 miles from home for Chelston. If we had had to take our van back there I dare say we would be looking at a replacement engine
Its a 138 mile trip for us each way! for us, had to take ours in to get its 3 monthly Carthago Ingress check carried out to get special sticker in warranty book. They did it while we had lunch in that Funky Food pub opposite. I would have taken it straight to them if they had offered to do the recall work but they didnt, must find out why, as I think they would have done it without leaving grease on everything as I have read is the norm at commercial garages used to handling lorries and alike.

Started our recall headache on the euro 6 when we received the letter on the 10th of December. It has taken until this Thursday 15 March for it to be completed. 3 Months loss of use, 4 visits to the Fiat Professional Dealer 42 miles away, £160 in fuel for the motorhome and car to deliver and collect the motorhome. EGR valve, pipe, cooler and the new clip together with software update carried out and all Fiat Customer Services will say is we can make a small gesture towards expenses. Manufacturer of motor home says Fiat will only cover parts and labour on the warranty items as per the warranty document conditions.
Letter!, what letter?, we havent heard a word from Fiat, had to check the Fiat App ourselves.
Sorry to hear about all the delays and expense you have incurred, at least you didnt have to reject the van as not fit for purpose, also for what its worth, at least you had these fixes done at the best time of year, so as not to affect your spring or summer trips.
Good luck, happy travels.
Les

Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
@TinaL When I spoke to Wayne in the Chelston complaints section he said that they are also having difficulty getting parts to fix the recall, so they must be carrying out some. Vospers phoned us the day after the letter arrived to say our van needed checking. I think vans have to go to the nearest approved service dealer rather than the supplying dealer if not the same. Good job when you think how much more damage could have been done to our engine on a 70 mile journey up the M5.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
The EGR recall has turned into a massive issue for Fiat. More vehicles need parts that what they ever envisaged, and they don't have them. As one who lives in Northern Ireland we do not have the luxury of going to an approved workshop i.e. the dealer who supplied the van. Our only option is a Professional Fiat dealership. I believe this makes the difference as they are compelled to fix it, as your local dealership may not be under the same obligation. Speaking to others 3 months seem to be the average to have this problem rectified.

thidwick

Free Member
May 8, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65HFL
Exp
Since 2015
Crazily, Fiat were expecting me to accept delivery of a new vehicle knowing that recall work was required, and then (presumably)keep it off the road awaiting Fiat to allow the recall work.
As it stands today, I am assured the recall work is now done and the motorhome is ready to collect (Good. )

Update....... we’ve eventually agreed a collection date of 20th March. The dealer told me that they’d taken it to the Fiat main dealer to get the EGR work done, and the Fiat app now shows a green traffic light after being red for many days. Hooray!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Update....... we’ve eventually agreed a collection date of 20th March. The dealer told me that they’d taken it to the Fiat main dealer to get the EGR work done, and the Fiat app now shows a green traffic light after being red for many days. Hooray!
Well done to your dealers for getting the recall works sorted out, makes me wonder how many new vans are sat on forecourts right now, still needing recall work carried out?, will they know?, will they tell the buyers? Ironic though as there is a shortage of replacement parts from Fiat we are told.
Harpy touring, enjoy your new van:)
Les

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Fiat Recall update: Wednesday 21 March.
Took van to Fiat Professional at Crawley, Sussex yesterday, arrived on time, handed key over, had coffee, watched tele ,45 minutes later Job Done:)
The "Clip" that needed replacing on the throttle body hose, was removed and a new ordinary looking Jubilee clip was put on in its place. The mechanic told me that the old one had no adjustment and could come loose after a few years!, so the new one can at least be tightened should this happen.
Not what I would call an urgent job that needed the van to be laid up, but at least its done now.
Fantastic welcome received by staff at Crawley Fiat, great friendly team, with great sense of humour, will go back to them no worries.
Les
PS: thanks again for the recommendation @Lenny HB

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Fiat Recall update: Wednesday 21 March.
Took van to Fiat Professional at Crawley, Sussex yesterday, arrived on time, handed key over, had coffee, watched tele ,45 minutes later Job Done:)
The "Clip" that needed replacing on the throttle body hose, was removed and a new ordinary looking Jubilee clip was put on in its place. The mechanic told me that the old one had no adjustment and could come loose after a few years!, so the new one can at least be tightened should this happen.
Not what I would call an urgent job that needed the van to be laid up, but at least its done now.
Fantastic welcome received by staff at Crawley Fiat, great friendly team, with great sense of humour, will go back to them no worries.
Les
PS: thanks again for the recommendation @Lenny HB

any chance of a pic showing the location etc, pretty please, as i may just do ours myself!!

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
any chance of a pic showing the location etc, pretty please, as i may just do ours myself!!
Knowing now, and seeing what the mechanic did, many of us could replace the jubilee clip ourselves, as the throttle body is at the left hand front of the engine near the top, about 6 inches or so below the front bezel/grill when you lift the bonnet.
You will see a 60mm (approx) rubber tube pushed onto the throttle body retained by the clip, this was simply removed with no special tools, only long nosed pliers and a couple of screwdrivers, he slipped the rubber pipe off, removed the old clip, put new one over the pipe and pushed the rubber tube back on, tightened the new jubilee clip....job done 10 minutes.
Will try and do photo tomorrow, but you shouldn't need it when you know the throttle body and clip is just inside the engine bay, 6 inches lower then the front bezel/grill left of centre, big round rubber pipe, have a look you will see it quite easily. But certainly not an urgent job IMHO.
Les

Gloombusters

Free Member
Jun 28, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessacarr 454
Exp
30+ years
Thanks for posting this video it now explains why the Fiat garage need the van for five hours.
We hope that's all it will take as we're in Spain and living in the van!

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Knowing now, and seeing what the mechanic did, many of us could replace the jubilee clip ourselves, as the throttle body is at the left hand front of the engine near the top, about 6 inches or so below the front bezel/grill when you lift the bonnet.
You will see a 60mm (approx) rubber tube pushed onto the throttle body retained by the clip, this was simply removed with no special tools, only long nosed pliers and a couple of screwdrivers, he slipped the rubber pipe off, removed the old clip, put new one over the pipe and pushed the rubber tube back on, tightened the new jubilee clip....job done 10 minutes.
Will try and do photo tomorrow, but you shouldn't need it when you know the throttle body and clip is just inside the engine bay, 6 inches lower then the front bezel/grill left of centre, big round rubber pipe, have a look you will see it quite easily. But certainly not an urgent job IMHO.
Les
Top banana. Many thanks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back