Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm fed up of getting a cold leg from the draught coming from the cab. Hubby has been underneath and he said it's sprayed with some sort of fibreglass looking stuff. I've found some info on blanking plates for some places under there that's letting in the draughts. I've sealed up the speakers and any other places it might be coming through in the cab doors but the draught is still there.
And it's really noticable at night where all my right side in bed is cold.Any anyone please? It's a Fiat 09.
We have curtains up. Outside covers on The air not recirculating in the cab. Sometimes interior blinds as well. No help at all.

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Nora Batties wooly tights spring to mind:D

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
The air not recirculating in the cab. .

Are you sure that's right? Not an expert on the subject, but I'd have thought that recirculating would be more 'closed to the outside' and therefore warmer - in a cold climate anyway :cautious:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Are you sure that's right? Not an expert on the subject, but I'd have thought that recirculating would be more 'closed to the outside' and therefore warmer - in a cold climate anyway :cautious:

That's what we thought and do so we agree with you - but @Welsh girl is perfectly correct, even having done that and blocked up the vents underneath, there's still a howling gale! Jenny can't sit at the table with her feet on the floor in the evening when we're playing cards - has to put her feet up on the seat to have any chance of staying warm.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
We bought a thermal thermometer a few years ago that is very good at tracking down drafts and cold spots in the house, can't see why it wouldn't work in a van too (y) :)

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Yes I mean not bringing in the air from outside.Just recirculating it within the cab. Not that the engine is running I have done it to stop draughts Coming in from the vents.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It was the same in our 2015 model delaware, we had gone through ever post and remedy to try and cure this, we even put down draught excluders and a curtain at the front as well as blocking up the holes under the van near the seat with blanking plates. Nothing worked, autotrail said it was to be expected on these types of conversions (not helpful), from what I could see if was down to the build and not having anything between the floor and the underneath of the van. It was so draughty you could literally feel the wind when you put your hand down at ankle level. In the end we gave up and started looking for a new van which we brought this year (Rapido 10000 double floor). The difference you would not believe, no more cold in the front at all, no draughts, no cold spots and i assuming this is all down to the double floor and the way these are built. I am only speaking from experience as i know some people are happy with their AT's, for us not so and i was glad to be shot of it. For anyone interested i p/x in at brownhills if you want to avoid it :), but to be fair they are all like it so you wont get any difference no matter where you get it from.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Nicd
We bought a thermal thermometer a few years ago that is very good at tracking down drafts and cold spots in the house, can't see why it wouldn't work in a van too (y) :)
Thank you for that. I'll take a look and find the draughts once and for all save all the lengths I am going to now.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
After sitting in gale force winds up in Moray last month blocked off the air vents underneath and behind passengers seat on our AT Savannah.
This is them in situ prior to "fixing them".

upload_2017-5-3_18-24-35.jpeg

This is them removed prior to covering with a bit of dpm.

upload_2017-5-3_18-27-24.png

Forgot to take a photo of them after "fixing".:doh:

Closed all the dashboard airvents.

Turned heater onto recirculation mode.

All helped but still not totally cured.:crying:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
After sitting in gale force winds up in Moray last month blocked off the air vents underneath and behind passengers seat on our AT Savannah.
This is them in situ prior to "fixing them".

View attachment 160999

This is them removed prior to covering with a bit of dpm.

View attachment 161000

Forgot to take a photo of them after "fixing".:doh:

Closed all the dashboard airvents.

Turned heater onto recirculation mode.

All helped but still not totally cured.:crying:

Those are the blanking plates i mentioned, they do little to help as you said.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back