LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Please note I don't want anyone fixing it for me but I need to know WHY or WHAT is the problem so I can get my head around it.

Been up since very early and spotted the gas indicator light on the Domdtic fridge freezer flashing continually. Fridge defrosted. I turned it off and on again several times. It wouldn't ignite.

The twp 13b lpg cylinders are full.

I tried to contact Dometic.... It's all online. I asked a question and was told I had to pay £5 for the answer and sign up for a £35 per month contract. I can't afford that. :(

I looked in the manual and it says the grills on the outside of van may need removing and cleaning. I looked to do this but can you tell me please, are they just removed by sprizing them off with a screwdriver?

So I thought, I'll see if fridge freezer lights on engine battery. Tried to start van... DEAD. Battery reading 11.3.. Glorious weather, 2 solar panels.. WTheck going on?

I turned engine off. Scratched my head. Turned engine on and it started. Reading now 12.7....!!! My head is NOT magical.

Anyway, the red fridge light was on when engine running so I'm guessing it was working, or would it have been green.

I have to take little un out for day, long promised, so cannot do anything anyway but any suggestions would be helpful.

In case it is relevant NO electrical appliances have been used at all, to run down the batteries for weeks and weeks.

Thank you. I may not get back to you today.

Edit: the fridge light now turns green when engine on. X

Last edited:

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
If you want to remove the fridge vents you need to turn the plastic screw slightly and then they will come off 7533373D-EEF1-4F28-B982-D03B014972E8.jpeg

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Some grills also have a stiff push-up/click mechanism to remove them by hand but be careful, on mine they can result in a damaged finger/fingernail.

I experienced a similar thing recently; it was due to me not removing the grill covers, the ones you are supposed to use when travelling or in storage. The fridge complained on all fronts until I removed the covers to expose the grills and all was well within a few minutes. However, ice was melted so a bit of a mop-up needed. Once covers were removed, I pressed the warning triangle button and it sprang back into life.

Otherwise, the only other time I've ever known it not to run on gas or complain otherwise, was when we were not at all level.

Sorry can't be more help.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Try the gas again Joy,it may have gone out due to a low voltage not relighting it. Seems that your battery might be the issue if it was 11.3v.check again later this morning after the panels have been in the sun for some time
( assuming they are clean and not in shadow).

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Is gas getting to your hob? If not it could be that your gas regulator (Truma?) could of failed due to oil deposit build up from the gas bottles. This happened to us and we replaced the regulator (and fitted a filter) and have had no issues since.

Truma advise that the regulator should be higher than the gas bottle outlet to help prevent the oil clogging the regulator.

of course if you are getting gas to your hob, the above is no help at all.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Try the gas again Joy,it may have gone out due to a low voltage not relighting it. Seems that your battery might be the issue if it was 11.3v.check again later this morning after the panels have been in the sun for some time
( assuming they are clean and not in shadow).
Could me constantly trying to relight it have dropped the engine battery level, please or would it come off the 12v habitation?

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Is gas getting to your hob? If not it could be that your gas regulator (Truma?) could of failed due to oil deposit build up from the gas bottles. This happened to us and we replaced the regulator (and fitted a filter) and have had no issues since.

Truma advise that the regulator should be higher than the gas bottle outlet to help prevent the oil clogging the regulator.

of course if you are getting gas to your hob, the above is no help at all.
Yes, the hob is fine. Thank you anyway.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
As a guess, there is no electricity going to the pilot light, so it cant light.

Blow fuse is where I'd start looking
I will search later thank you. Not sure where the fuse for that is. There are loads..

Would the light keep flashing though as it tries to ignite if the fuse was blown?

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
The ignition for the fridge should come off the hab battery.
if you put your ear to the lower fridge grille you should hear it trying to ignite when you turn the fridge onto gas. It’s a fast clicking sound.
If you can here it clicking without the whoosh of the gas igniting then there may be a blockage in the gas nozzle. I recently had to clean mine out and it’s a relatively easy job.
If there is no clicking then it may be the fuse to the igniter has gone.
I’m happy to have a video call with you if it helps.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you take the fridge vents off Joy turn the screws as mentioned above and then it sort of hinged off about the right side but there some catches on that side that release themselves,

You won't see much to clean though without getting your toolbox out, you might get something to blow around the burner as sometimes crud falls down the chimney and covers the gas jet and igniter.

When/if you get inside it might be worth a photo so people can see what fridge it is.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
If you get the outside panel off give the gas valve and piezo a ‘light’ dusting with a soft paintbrush or similar. Spiders webs have caused the same problem for me a couple of times.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As said above.

No clicking, (outside, ear to lower vent) then look for blown fuses.

If you can hear clicking then that is the pilot light trying to light, then the problem is not electrical.
Prize off the lower vent and clean the pilot light area.

Best done with a few McDonalds drinking straws attached to a vacuum cleaner, else blow through them,
it's also likely that the area has become sooted up, so clean off all the soot (carefully, with a tissue or paitbrush)

Fridge vents should be kept in the shade, which is why the awning and the fridge are on the same side in most vans.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Some grills also have a stiff push-up/click mechanism to remove them by hand but be careful, on mine they can result in a damaged finger/fingernail.

I experienced a similar thing recently; it was due to me not removing the grill covers, the ones you are supposed to use when travelling or in storage. The fridge complained on all fronts until I removed the covers to expose the grills and all was well within a few minutes. However, ice was melted so a bit of a mop-up needed. Once covers were removed, I pressed the warning triangle button and it sprang back into life.

Otherwise, the only other time I've ever known it not to run on gas or complain otherwise, was when we were not at all level.

Sorry can't be more help.

Shock! Horror! Ambulance direct to A&E - avoiding COVID entrance of course. :LOL:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I tried to contact Dometic.... It's all online. I asked a question and was told I had to pay £5 for the answer and sign up for a £35 per month contract. I can't afford that. :(
Check you were on the dometic website and not on a 3rd party site who will ask dometic for you.... For a fiver.
Really can't see dometic charging for advice.

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
On our Dometic fridge. If there has been an alert re gas supply the red warning light starts flashing(In the past when gas runs out.) Before gas runs again the red light need resetting by pressing and then it goes off and the gas supply starts again. Hope this may help

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Good advice above. But you mentioned engine battery dead and then came back to life when you tried it again? What age of van is it? Earth leads are poor quality on older vans and the terminals need a clean now and again to ensure a tight connection.

Maybe a local Funster could take a look at the basic stuff and if they get it going everyone learns a bit?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
As a guess, there is no electricity going to the pilot light, so it cant light.

Blow fuse is where I'd start looking
I found this which is what I thought
You shouldn't need power to light the pilot light. It works like a gas grill ignitor. You might make sure the gas is turned on to the fridge. There may be a gas shut off or something.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On my fridge the grill is held in place by two black lugs at the top. Insert smallest fingers in through the top louvre and slide lugs towards the middle. Pull the top gently away from the frame and the grill should then slide down to unhook from the bottom of the frame, no need for undue force.

Deleted User
I found this which is what I thought
You shouldn't need power to light the pilot light. It works like a gas grill ignitor. You might make sure the gas is turned on to the fridge. There may be a gas shut off or something.

The comment about a gas grill igniter got me thinking, in our static caravan the igniter on the hob will not work for a few days when we return after many months with the electricity supply off.

I think this due to the ignition system using a capacitor to produce the high voltage spark and this needs time to charge after a complete discharge, I am no technical expert and this may not be the case.

If the ignition system on the fridge works on the same principle then after sometime to recharge it may ignite again, just a thought!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back