Fed up buying gas for the mig so...... (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am currently looking at getting a gasless one.. Mine MIGHT work ok as some welders do if the tip is -ve, but if not..........
Anyone got any thoughts or recommendations ?
Do not need anything OTT ( 130ish amps will be fine )

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Try Machine mart, plenty of choice or ebay, I was looking the other week, plenty on there including gasless for about £150
Cheers, Dave (y)
ps stick to a "make" several no name...

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Got a 150amp mig that works with both Gas and Gasless type wire. Trust me....You need the gas type for heavy duty welding! Either get a stick welder or by a gas bottle. It Just looks messy and you never feel that its penetrated correctly?
Personally.....spend a few more bob and get the right one!

Kev

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I use Hobbyweld gas, pay a one off, refundable deposit with no rental charge. 9 litre mig mix is about £35.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Guys, appreciate your advise but I have been welding a long time..
I have a 180 amp inverter stick unit, and I only last year sold off the tig plant and the oxy set ( though I only used that as a gas axe )
Pub bottles are filled with CO2 that are far from pure .... okish but not for me
Might sound odd but I have recently had a chance to use some Halfrauds gasless wire with a mates unit, and it was just fine
I only need input on types of welder you may have tried :)
It is for use on stuff with a max thickness of 10 gauge mild steel ( and maybe 12 gauge stainless )

When I get busy I can use a 9 litre bottle of gas before lunch ! Like I said.. fed up buying the stuff !

Mind you...... all this is currently pie in the sky 'cos I have just today been landed with a large and unexpected bill which has put a hold on further expenditure until someone pays some of what they owe me :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back