Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Don' think I am missing the point..he may be fearful but wants to try...just reassring him that it's much easier than he thinks..just a little encouragement...It sometimes helps you know. If he dares to give it another try it will open up a new motorhome life for him with travel..weather and freedom he cannot achieve in the UK.Busby

One point you are missing is your “he” is actually a “she” called Nikki :)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Hi, Nikki.

I’m not sure what part of driving in France might be fearful for you. My advice, for driving on the ‘wrong’ side, would be to start off using motorways to get used to the ‘feeling’. Then move off, onto the country roads when you have become more comfortable about it. A satnav would be useful for navigation providing one less thing to occupy your mind. Most French roads are not at all busy, so you can take your time without feeling awkward. You won’t be able to enjoy the scenery if you get stressed so don’t be too ambitious. You’ll not need to book ahead if you avoid school holidays, so you can relax and make as little or as much progress as you feel able to each day. Google street view can be useful for travelling a route ‘virtually’ if you’re anxious about what you might meet along a particular route.

Good luck. I do hope you can muster the courage to give it a try.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Oy, you lot tring to upset Nikki, she does say she is female in her profile, don't you lot check nothing before posting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Nikki Trust me; driving in the New Forest is worse! @TerryL and others were spot-on. The danger lies not in driving on the right, it’s after a stop of some sort. We’ve all done it, either driven around campsites on the LEFT of their service roads, or come out of a service station and suddenly panicked when driving on the left of the road :eek:

The brain plays tricks. It’s a well known fact that the brain can only process a certain amount when under stress...... Time pressures, being in a foreign land, is the sat-nav correct? Where’s that campsite? What does that sign mean? What lane should I be in? etc. It’s easy then when making a left turn across the traffic to feel that traffic will be coming up behind you. It won’t be; it will be coming straight at you!!!

They are the two danger things to look out for BUT, BUT, as others have said, within a mile of the ferry, your fears will evaporate and you’ll be fine.
Yes, there are many professional and continental HGV drivers on here, but the majority of us, just like you, have had those heebie-jeebies as we’ve driven down the ferry ramp or out of the tunnel for the first time.

Have a fantastic trip and just go for it!

PS. Don’t do like me and drive for 1km on the ‘wrong’ side of the road looking for a campsite!

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
@Nikki i see you have dogs and the crossing you mentioned from Portsmouth is nearly six hours long and someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think the dogs have to stay in the motorhome and I don’t think you are allowed to go down to vehicle deck.
Although it’s a bit more drive time, it’s easier to use the Tunnel with animals, we had our first trip abroad in the motorhome last year and after about an hours driving I found it pretty easy, although we did arrange to meet up with someone after the first day.

OP
OP
Nikki
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
Wow, thanks everyone, some great advice and tips will be looking into them.
Do feel a bit more confident now after reading your views and hearing what it can really be like!!
I think as you say planning is key and giving myself plenty of time. It does sound as if it's worth the effort

May 28, 2016
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
since 2000
just a little tip keep an eye on feeder lanes on to motorways some drivers tend to push straight on to your lane without slowing down to feed in found this quite a lot on the continent

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
just a little tip keep an eye on feeder lanes on to motorways some drivers tend to push straight on to your lane without slowing down to feed in found this quite a lot on the continent
That happens mainly in England,,,in Spain they slow down on the slip road and feed in when its clear. Drivers on the main road don't switch lanes to let you in from slip roads which in my opinion is much safer and would prevent lots of accidents in uk. BUSBY,,

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm not being flippant, Nikki, but you will not be driving on the 'wrong' side of the road as you'll be driving on the right side of the road like everyone else.
I've travelled Europe as a family and solo by car, motorbike and m/home for donkey's years and never use autoroutes but just bimble along 'N' and 'D' roads. My tip for driving solo in a motorhome is to list the major towns on your route for say 60 miles sections (roughly 2 hours - often a day's run for me as there's so much to see) and stick it on the dashboard, and follow the town names on the signs, ignoring the road numbers which dodge about as you approach, are in, and leave towns. It's impossible to look at a map whilst driving and I prefer to keep my eyes on the road, traffic and direction signs rather than looking at and listening to a satnav.
Pulling in every two hours suits me for a comfort break and no doubt the dogs will as well.
Just be very careful when rejoining the road, especially a quiet road or where there's no other traffic after a comfort break, filling station or camp site that you start off on the right hand side of the road.
I nip over very frequently and if dates are convenient would be happy to accompany you (in our own m/homes) from U.K., onto the ferry and for a day or two 'over there' just to get you started.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2013
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2013
Cherbourg isn't a really busy port like those further east, but if you are happy to drive to Plymouth the ferry goes to Roscoff, overnight crossing gets you in early morning. Roscoff is really easy to get out of, turn left out of port and you are on your way. Good roads in Brittany and lots of campsites or aires to choose from if you don't want to venture too far on your first trip. We are going over in mid May but will be heading south straight away to meet up with friends in Gironde otherwise we could have given you a lead. If you are a member of CMC I think they do a handholding trip for novices, but like most of their organised trips I don't think it will be cheap but you might think it worth it for the reassurance and support.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Couple of days you'll be fine ...the trick is to just quickly adopt their driving methods

I'm now a terrible driver and it somehow works.
I'm more concerned about returning to Blighty and having to drive on the wrong side of the road again

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
First time for me was with 2 children in the back of a car in 1994. I came off ferry and instructed everyone to shut up for at least half an hour. Followed the dual carriageway to Boulogne and was calm then around Boulogne, Outreau and St Leonard to get on the road to Abbeville. :Eeek:
After that I was fine, so confident I came home via Paris, turned off the Peripherique and parked by the Eiffel Tower, no maps just head towards it !
Now it's like second nature although sometimes I circumnavigte French car parks on the left !
No need to rush and if in doubt, DON'T, wait, collect thoughts and proceed at YOUR pace.
Be aware the French only use the outside of roundabouts and don't use indicators.
Oh, Stop means STOP, not crawl but STOP, they are hot on it I've noticed.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
Driving abroad is easy,just follow the car in front,and hope they are going your way,

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
@Larby
Ignor him Nikki,he can't drive proper,on a remote island,without another vehicle in sight,

OP
OP
Nikki
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
Ha ha, some good advice there and really encouraging.
The tip for a list of towns and a 2 hour drive is an amazing idea.
It's making sure I plan, in England I just get behind the wheel and go, don't mind if I get lost!
I'm not planning to go until next year, one of my dogs is getting a bit unwell due to age and not sure if she would be up for it.
Also as we've never traveled pet passports are on the to do list, for 5 or maybe poss 4 :cry:, will be expensive.
Need to find a site that accepts dogs and has plenty of walking as they are used to 2 to 3 hours a day.

OP
OP
Nikki
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
Does anyone know if this site is still open, I saved it ages ago.
La Tournerie Ferme.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
A GB sticker and the ever helpful French will avoid you!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Do you mean this one in the Dordogne.
It's open March to Sept according to their website here:

http://www.montignac-camping.com/index.html

I've travelled with my son's Westie on a 4 hour crossing with him left alone in the m/home for 5 hours. He evidently didn't like all the bangs and crashes and the ear-splitting sirens wailing when the ships watertight doors were operating, nor the loud lorry engines and a couple of car alarms. I wouldn't do it again but use the tunnel.
Some ferry route operators have ferry cabins for people with pets.
Passports and the vet fees for going out and back would be a significant cost for 4 or 5 dogs. Don't take the dogs to a vet near the port as they generally charge a lot more than others further away.
Dogs are welcome most places in France, but to be honest 4 or 5 dogs, depending upon how noisy and behaved they are, might not be quite so well received on some sites. To be even more honest I wouldn't personally choose a pitch next to 4 or 5 dogs to avoid the unknown risks. They might all be quiet little sweeties, but then again..............:unsure:
There are some good websites listing fair priced and English speaking vets if that's important to you.

Last edited:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I am returning to my home near Périgueux on 26th June .ports mouth to Caen .then taking a couple of weeks dotting about getting there . I am happy to meet up with you and he!p you out for as long as you want ..but it really won't take long ,its just so laid back .pm me if you want .Roy

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Here's a list of road signs that you may encounter: -
Aire de repos = Rest area
Allumez vos feux = Switch on headlamps
Arrêt = Stop
Attention au feu = Be aware of traffic lights
Attention travaux = Roadworks
Autoroute = Motorway
Bande d’arrêt d’urgence = Breakdown lane / hard shoulder
Borne d’appel d’urgence = Emergency telephone
Cedez le passage = Give way
Chaussée déformer = Road is in poor condition
Chaussée glissante = Road is slippery
Fin de chantier = End of roadworks
Gravillons = Gravel / Loose stones
Ne pas dépasser = Do not overtake
Nids de poules = Potholes
Passage à niveau = Level crossing
Passage piétons = Pedestrian crossing
Péage = Toll booth
Priorité à droite = Give way to the right
Raléntissez = Slow down
Rappel = Reminder of speed restriction
Route barrée = Road closed
Sens unique = One way
Serrez a droite = Keep to the right
Sortie = Exit
Suivre = Follow
Toutes directions = All directions
Vitesse adaptée sécurité = Adapt your speed for safety
Vous n’avez pas la priorité = Give way (You don’t have priority)

Hope this helps.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
My tip after driving around 30,000 miles in a MH in Europe is to keep as far over to the right hand kerb as you can. Just keep it in view and judge accordingly. The blind spot is a problem without a passenger I put in a couple of cheap reversing cameras and screen from EBay and they make a world of difference to your ability to see traffic from the left hand side.
I]

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Good idea .but even as a solo never had . a problem ... and I live six months a year in France

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
[B said:
"ukbill[/B], post: 2772564, member: 18740"]@Larby
Ignor him Nikki,he can't drive proper,on a remote island,without another vehicle in sight,

I have amended your Avatar to bring it up to date

beni.jpg

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
That's a breach of my privacy,youll suffer for that,

OP
OP
Nikki
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
Thanks so much for the road signs, very helpful!
I don't go to meets ,no, I am a bit of a recluse and that would just be too much for me!! Nice of you to ask though
I know what you mean about that number of dogs, however because I live in the van I'm very strict on them, some of my pitch neighbors don't even realise I have dogs! It's a shame not everyone with multiple dogs feels the same about behaviour, it tars us all!
Again thanks so much for the advice, it really has helped x

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
If your ever down near me, dogs are np,plenty of space to run,have fun and enjoy,that's what its all about

OP
OP
Nikki
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
Forgot to say also, very kind for the offers of help and" babysitting", but I won't be able to go until next year, I just wanted to make sure I'm ready!!

OP
OP
Nikki
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
Wow, thanks ukbill, may take you up on that one day(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back