Fearful of driving abroad (1 Viewer)

Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
Now then, my experience of driving abroad is once and it was bad, and was about 25 years ago!
I would like to try to go somewhere warm for a change! Im getting to the age where if i dont try now i probably never will!
I'm not sure this is the right section but will be guided by yourselves.
I was wondering if there are other people that too are nervous and maybe we could go in some kind of convoy of the anxious to somewhere simple to get to, might be a bit warm and allows dogs?!?
A short ferry crossing like Portsmouth to Cherbourg, and maybe a relatively straightforward route before stopping and taking lots of calming meds or beer, resting for two weeks and joining up again for a slow nerve wrecking journey back.
I haven't made it sound super tempting, but might strike a nerve with someone!!
All thoughts welcome(y)

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Hi Nikki @Nikki - not a good idea to go in a convoy in my opinion - maybe better to get one of the coven females (@movan ) that are well travelled on the continent to accompany you in your Motorhome for moral support and confidence in pointing out the things to watch for :)

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I’m not sure a convoy of nervous drivers is a good idea. I think you perhaps want someone confident that you can follow?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Nikki
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
Yes well that would be the best thing really!

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I’m not sure a convoy of nervous drivers is a good idea. I think you perhaps want someone confident that you can follow?

Preferably use a good sat nav rather than follow really ( it in itself being a small convoy) - following will generate much the same problems! :) No problem following the general traffic to observe the characteristics of roundabouts etc without worrying about keeping up with them or loosing them! :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I can understand your nervousness, I felt like that when I first moved to France--- and I was only driving a Clio !
You don't want other nervous drivers with you. You'd want someone with experience of driving in France.
I'd go with either a single or couple in their own motorhome who can do the first part in short bursts, so there's opportunities to stop, share how you're getting on. If a couple you could perhaps have one person with you.
Or take a single person with you who's driven abroad, knows the routine for ferries etc...
The first time I drove the motorhome on my own was a couple of months after my OH died. I drove it from south of Toulouse to the UK, had never even driven onto a ferry before and I managed it all ok.
First 100 miles you might be nervous, after that you'll be fine.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Hey if you are comfortable driving in crowded old Blighty you will just love driving over here on the French quite roads. Even roundabouts are far more simple to negotiate than back in Blighty. As you get off the ferry just follow eveyone else for a few miles until you get familiar and one rule I tell all first timers is..... after any stop for fuel or anything else before you turn the key think where you are going for the first 200 yards and then it all drops into place. Honest everything is just so much more relaxed and easier. The only word of caution is sat. nav. Can be a pain in the but over here, always wanting to cut corners off and taking you up less than suitable narrow roads to save a fraction of a Km and saving nothing in time, a good map is a wise buy.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We have been driving over the channel since 1991
Our first trip there were no Sat Nav's just paper maps and SWMBO got us lost in the docks

Now we are just so much more relaxed the traffic in ordinary towns is much less than any similar sized town in the UK and if you use the big RN then it's like a quiet day on the M1
go on the Autoroutes and they're empty until you get to a city and the free stretch

Just remember to drive in the gutter and in a motorhome it's easier than when we were tugging all those 25 years

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
Nikki - just go for it! It will be a lot easier than you imagine. Other than around very large cities (e.g. the Paris Periphique) you will experience much less traffic volume than in the UK.

A few suggestions:

Make sure your Channel crossing gets you to the other side in daylight and in plenty of time to make a shortish journey to a pre-arranged campsite for the first night.

To start with, if you have the option to use a motorway rather than other roads do so. The European motorways (especially the toll ones) are lightly trafficked compared with the UK.

As you will be driving on the "wrong" side of the road, until it becomes completely normal to you, you might find it a helpful reminder to tie a handkerchief around the bottom section of the steering wheel as a reminder. At first it is easy to forget when, for example, you are driving away after a re-fuelling stop.

If you do not have a front seat passenger with you (who will be on the traffic side) who can look out of the passenger window to check no other vehicle is in your "blind spot" when (for example) pulling out to overtake on a motorway, you may find it helpful to have a rear view camera to compliment your wing mirrors.

Despite their shortcomings, I would think that a SatNav talking to you whilst driving will be helpful for getting into the correct position for upcoming junctions and lane changes, especially if you are alone without a passenger to look out for direction signs whilst you are concentrating on driving.

I am sure after a few days driving on the right, it will all become second nature to you.

Good luck and enjoy.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
After seeing your profile , so based in new forest and young in years ! If you manage the forest roads I am sure you can negotiate euroland , my first extended trip last year was to Scandinavia 7 weeks , all you got to do is have a good set of mirrors and good sat Nav with lane guidance . I have a pvc and the window in the sliding door was a godsend to say the least, as being solo . I found concentration was the key , and just let the locals over take, until you have enough confidence to do it yourself , it will come naturally after a short time let me assure you .

rich g

Free Member
May 29, 2014
Worcester
Funster No
MH
A/S Warwick
Exp
since 2013
You could go with the C&CC or the CMC they do trips abroad for first timers so you would get there support and with like minded people.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
If fearfull of driving aboard (which is not uncommon) don’t put yourself under pressure. Enjoy what England, Scotland, and Wales has to offer during the summer months then fly off into the sun from your local airport during the winter months when the accommodation is as cheap as chips.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Now then, my experience of driving abroad is once and it was bad, and was about 25 years ago!
I would like to try to go somewhere warm for a change! Im getting to the age where if i dont try now i probably never will!
I'm not sure this is the right section but will be guided by yourselves.
I was wondering if there are other people that too are nervous and maybe we could go in some kind of convoy of the anxious to somewhere simple to get to, might be a bit warm and allows dogs?!?
A short ferry crossing like Portsmouth to Cherbourg, and maybe a relatively straightforward route before stopping and taking lots of calming meds or beer, resting for two weeks and joining up again for a slow nerve wrecking journey back.
I haven't made it sound super tempting, but might strike a nerve with someone!!
All thoughts welcome(y)

There is nothing worse than following another van or having one follow you..It takes all your concentration just to watch them,,,,Go on your own,,use a sat nav,,drive slowly and relax. Much easier driving in France than driving in UK,,,,BUSBY:D2:D2

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
My advice would be:
Go for it - it'll be fine as long as:

# Prepare - read up on road signs and regulations - especially speed limits, and limits of "priorité à droite" areas.
# Do not be afraid of going slow, very slow, or stop if you feel uncomfortable. A few beeps from a frustrated froggie is not so much of a problem as a bent bumper or mangled mirror. (I've never come across negative reactions)
# Never be tempted to push your luck and go for a gap you're not absolutely sure is adequate. I have done, and have the scrapes to show for it :(
# One problem I had (have?) is starting a drive after more than a couple of hours rest when there is no other traffic around - that's when you go into auto mode and take off on the wrong side of the road :rolleyes:

Finally, in my opinion, trying to travel in a convoy adds anxiety: of keeping together - rushing at traffic lights so you don't get separated, worrying that you're going to slow for the rest - or too fast, &c...

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
There is nothing worse than following another van or having one follow you..It takes all your concentration just to watch them,,,,Go on your own,,use a sat nav,,drive slowly and relax. Much easier driving in France than driving in UK,,,,BUSBY:D2:D2
Agree with that line up campsites or aires and take it slowly always run a backup close to 1st stop just incase crap happens

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
I was lucky when I started driving abroad , must have been in the early 80's.I was riding a motorcycle, so no LHD or RHD to worry about, good basis to start with, since then I've lost count of how many miles I've driven all over Europe , USA and Canada.
My top tips, be extra careful when pulling out of hotel/accommodation car parks first thing in the morning when you are just heading out, especially if there is no other traffic around, also, filling stations, easy to get it wrong then.
Practice makes perfect, or at least more familiar, GO FOR IT!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Everyone worries before their first ever trip abroad but get a nice surprise when they find out it is far easier than driving in the UK. The only thing that can catch you out is towns with give way to the right, just drive expecting every car to come straight out of the side turning then you won't get a shock when they do.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
If fearfull of driving aboard (which is not uncommon) don’t put yourself under pressure. Enjoy what England, Scotland, and Wales has to offer during the summer months then fly off into the sun from your local airport during the winter months when the accommodation is as cheap as chips.

And you will miss the wonderful scenery that you drive through on roads that uk can only dream of,,,,Wonderful inexpensive sites and aires,,,France is motorhome heaven and Spain aint bad at all with what must be the best roads in Europe,,BUSBY:D2:D2

Nicepix

Free Member
Mar 20, 2018
Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner T-Star 695
There are groups especially for singles in motorhomes. The New Companions Club is one of them. They arrange convoys at home and abroad.

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
And you will miss the wonderful scenery that you drive through on roads that uk can only dream of,,,,Wonderful inexpensive sites and aires,,,France is motorhome heaven and Spain aint bad at all with what must be the best roads in Europe,,BUSBY:D2:D2

You could be missing the point. The OP has openly stated that he is fearful of driving abroad (like many others) so the inexpensive sites will not even register.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
France is a lovely country with very nice patient people (except Paris)

Take the overnight ferry to Caen - wake up refreshed and drive down to the south. I would have an overnight stop before -

Parc Verger in the Limousin with Frank and Lisa as your host is a very nice and quiet site, usually the odd Funster about if you have a problem.

Go on to Twin Lake meeting and you will definitely find lots of Funsters for the Autumn meet.

France is very laid back compared to the UK and driving is a pleasure almost in every area you might care to visit. (except Paris)

A month can pass - late August, early September with zero stress and great company. If we were not going to Spain i might have done the trip myself.

Home - Get the late overnight ferry from St Malo (Time to have a meal aboard) and leave Portsmouth at around 8.00 am next day.

ps: put an arrow on the dash pointing to the side of the road u need to be on. We do (y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
France is a lovely country with very nice patient people (except Paris)

Take the overnight ferry to Caen - wake up refreshed and drive down to the south. I would have an overnight stop before -

Parc Verger in the Limousin with Frank and Lisa as your host is a very nice and quiet site, usually the odd Funster about if you have a problem.

Go on to Twin Lake meeting and you will definitely find lots of Funsters for the Autumn meet.

France is very laid back compared to the UK and driving is a pleasure almost in every area you might care to visit. (except Paris)

A month can pass - late August, early September with zero stress and great company. If we were not going to Spain i might have done the trip myself.

Home - Get the late overnight ferry from St Malo (Time to have a meal aboard) and leave Portsmouth at around 8.00 am next day.

ps: put an arrow on the dash pointing to the side of the road u need to be on. We do (y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
You could be missing the point. The OP has openly stated that he is fearful of driving abroad (like many others) so the inexpensive sites will not even register.
Don' think I am missing the point..he may be fearful but wants to try...just reassring him that it's much easier than he thinks..just a little encouragement...It sometimes helps you know. If he dares to give it another try it will open up a new motorhome life for him with travel..weather and freedom he cannot achieve in the UK.Busby

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My advice is.. Don’t overthink it. You are a very capable person and will adapt to it quickly. Go with the flow. If a froggy decides to beep at you and wave his arms about,just shrug your shoulders and say merd!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
For my sins when I was coach driving it was usually me who had to take first-timers abroad - it was never a problem except that almost all of them tried to pull away onto the "wrong" side of the road after a stop. (Provided it wasn't dangerous, I used to let them carry on and find out for themselves - they only ever did it once!)

I've since been asked how I remember what side of the road to drive on - it's simple, do the same as everybody else! The only things to watch out for are turning left across oncoming traffic, check that you're turning into the correct lane and don't be rushed; approaching roundabouts sort out which exit you want (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc) and count them off as you go round.

I'd advise against travelling in convoy, too stressful unless you really know what you're doing. We used to hate it on multi-vehicle coach trips. Much better to agree to meeting somewhere.

And as ever remember the 6 P's - Proper Preparation Prevents P--s Poor Performance.

Enjoy!

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Don' think I am missing the point..he may be fearful but wants to try...just reassring him that it's much easier than he thinks..just a little encouragement...It sometimes helps you know. If he dares to give it another try it will open up a new motorhome life for him with travel..weather and freedom he cannot achieve in the UK.Busby
Don't get me wrong, if that works good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back