Favourite Video Converter/Burner ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Any suggestions for an all in one tool to convert different types of video files, AVI, MKV, WMV etc and burn to DVD for playing on a DVD player ?

I've been trialling a few free ones but not found one I really like or had much success with..
I'm thinking it may be better to purchase, so any reviews or help much appreciated..

I'm trying DVD Flick at the moment .. another freebie

Edit

It's for Windows7 64

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I've been using this recently:

Link Removed

Converts many different formats and also to selectable devices.
I got it for converting dvds to the kids' PSP's but have been using it for all sorts of things lately.

Free! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've been using this recently:

Link Removed

Converts many different formats and also to selectable devices.
I got it for converting dvds to the kids' PSP's but have been using it for all sorts of things lately.

Free! ::bigsmile:

Thanks.. just tried it , crashed when I launched the installer app... :Sad:

maybe it's not 64bit compatible ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I used anyDVD and handbrake.
Broken Link Removed
http://handbrake.fr

100% success rate with this combo. Been using it for 3 years now.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I've done a fair bit of video editting/converting.

The best software I've used and still do is Movavi Video Converter.

Simple to use, but also has some pretty high end features.

It's also the only one I found to work with non-standard fps.

If you've ever, ahem, aquired films from the internet that are ripped from DVD or Blu-ray, then sometimes they come in 24 fps.

If you need to convert these into MPEG-2 then most converters will have the standard 25fps (PAL) or 29fps (NTSC) pre-configured and not being able to change, meaning the video gets very jerky.

With Movavi, you can tailor the fps creating MPEG-2 at 24fps.

This was crucial for converting films for the MH. I have a HD with converted films for the TV in the MH (which is one of the Currys Essentials) which only plays MPEG-2.

Most converters would only convert these 24fps into 25fps which would just add an extra frame every second, giving the jerkyness. I tailor the settings to match the film being converted (usually either avi or mkv) and now they run perfectly.

This also runs in Win7 64 no probs.

Linky: http://www.movavi.co.uk/videoconverter/

Last edited:

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Just wanted to add, you may want the full suite if you are looking to also burn as the converter doesn't actually burn I don't think.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
I use a few different ones depending on what I need to do.

Xilisoft DVD Ripper Platinum. It copes well with pretty much anything I throw at it.

Handbrake (which someone else mentioned) is excellent too - and it is free, but I don't know whether that is Mac only.

IMToo Video Convertor Ultimate. That converts from pretty much on existing format to any other format.

I don't tend to burn DVDs though. I tend to rip the DVD into MP4 (or similar) then put them on a USB stick and put that into my DVD player, if you know what I mean. Most of the newish DVD players, and many TVs, now have inputs for USB sticks and SD cards, so you no longer need to burn to DVD you can just copy the file to a memory stick, plug it in and watch.

It is great for motorhomers as you can fit lots of films on a single USB stick so you never get bored on those long, cold, wet nights when there's nothing else to do :winky:

If you need any help with any of the above just give me a shout.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Handbrake handles framerates correctly.

Broken Link Removed

The slysoft software I recommended is only to bypass the copy protection and remove the enforced adverts at the beginning of films etc.

Handbrake does the ripping...

I don't burn DVD's. I only rip them for use on the laptop in my van so I don't have to carry the DVD's around with me and risk damaging them.

The quality is excellent and it is an easy system to use. Handbrake can also convert for use on iPod etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back