Favourite childhood Reading... what about you? (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Read everything I could get hands on... loved the borrowers, little grey rabbit and Just William especially - also Agatha Christie novels a must from age 11.....

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I started reading really young... and have maintained the habit..

Aged 9 I read The Hobbit, and moved onto The Lord of the Rings trilogy not long after.
Read the Dr Who book around the same time from the Library and this got me onto Isaac Asimov and Arthur C Clarke. This was before the internet so finding more of this genre was hard. I used to scour the local library until I found an advert in a magazine or newsletter I can't remember which. They sent me a list of fanzines, magazines and publishers...

I was off... I read Heinlein, Bradbury, Anderson, Dick, Hubbard (uh oh), Pohl, Smith (fantastic), Vogt and many many more. The librarian used to go nuts at me always in the card index and asking questions. They didn't have the micro fiche at that library until much later.

They all gave me this fantastic vision of the future where anything was possible... A little bit of that childhood optimism is still alive and SpaceX and Tesla are now reminding me what it was like back then in the late 70's and early 80's when SciFi was leaping ahead and in reality we were falling backwards... You can't imagine how gutted I was when I found out we weren't going to the moon anymore.

These days, I still read scifi, but I enjoy action adventure, thrillers and political intrigue just as much.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I was lucky I could read very early and used to enjoy most of the UK comics ,and then dad got a job on the docks ,he brought home bundles of American comic books as the ships used bales of them as ballast on the New York run.then there was the Eagle in brilliant glossy colour ,which was printed only 2 miles away from our house.Once you had read them you swapped them with the other kids in your street. :giggle:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
67568345-082F-42C9-B882-7A73AB83DD99.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I can't recall anything I read as a child? Must have read & enjoyed something though as when working/travelling I get through around 7/8 a week.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Riverbankannie. Oh. On the Beach. I loved that book and the film. Gregory Peck.

I couldn't watch the film now though. Heartbreaking. That scene where they are all lined up to collect something (don't want to spoil it for others) and then they lay on the bed... It has stayed with me forever.. I still hurt when I think of it. And it isn't beyond the realms of possibility is it.

I love The Velveteen Rabbit.

As long as somebody loves you then you are real.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Riverbankannie. Oh. On the Beach. I loved that book and the film. Gregory Peck.

I couldn't watch the film now though. Heartbreaking. That scene where they are all lined up to collect something (don't want to spoil it for others) and then they lay on the bed... It has stayed with me forever.. I still hurt when I think of it. And it isn't beyond the realms of possibility is it.

I love The Velveteen Rabbit.

As long as somebody loves you then you are real.
I was torn between the velveteen rabbit and the railway children. I chose the railway children because I had more copies.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Far too busy playing cowboys & Indians with my pony or pirates along the river bank.
When I did read it was the Ladybird books, Beano, Pooh, Stig, Famous 5 amongst others.

OP
OP
Sus3v
Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Was a campervanner, now a motohomer
Read everything I could get hands on... loved the borrowers, little grey rabbit and Just William especially - also Agatha Christie novels a must from age 11.....
Ooh yes. The borrowers and Just William... I really really disliked thingy ELIZABETH Bott.. thcweaming was never my thing. ?

OP
OP
Sus3v
Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Far too busy playing cowboys & Indians with my pony or pirates along the river bank.
When I did read it was the Ladybird books, Beano, Pooh, Stig, Famous 5 amongst others.
Yup that too. Reading was not a daytime activity. I used to go out in the morning on my pony with instructions regarding hand signals and road safety with my school satchel on my back with a drink of water and a sandwich. Home by teatime. Turned up for a detention one Saturday morning on the pony hoping they would send me home - but no! The nuns turned him out in a field - foiled again lol

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Very early reading was Enid Blyton, Magic Faraway Tree and it's sequel, or was it a prequel, tales of the Faraway Tree? Billy Bob Tales and Shadow the Sheepdog before moving on to her more serious stuff, Secret Seven, Five Find Outers, The Rilloby Fair Mysteries and then really heavy things like The Famous Five and the Adventure Series. Then came Biggles and Gimlet before Leslie Charteris and The Saint, Dennis Wheatley with his satanist novels, Edgar Wallace and eventually Hammond Innes, Alistair McLean, Desmond Bagley, Wilbur Smith. Wheres the Adult reading thread?

OP
OP
Sus3v
Jul 28, 2018
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R
Exp
Very early reading was Enid Blyton, Magic Faraway Tree and it's sequel, or was it a prequel, tales of the Faraway Tree? Billy Bob Tales and Shadow the Sheepdog before moving on to her more serious stuff, Secret Seven, Five Find Outers, The Rilloby Fair Mysteries and then really heavy things like The Famous Five and the Adventure Series. Then came Biggles and Gimlet before Leslie Charteris and The Saint, Dennis Wheatley with his satanist novels, Edgar Wallace and eventually Hammond Innes, Alistair McLean, Desmond Bagley, Wilbur Smith. Wheres the Adult reading thread?
I did find a book club thread, that’s what prompted me to start this. I loved Hammond Innes - (exciting and intrepid and fast paced) I also did the Dennis Wheatley phase then Frederick Forsyth and Stephen King. Presently reading His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (not my sort of thing at all but I am enjoying it). We read Silas Marner in school and I hated it. Read it as an adult and loved it ??‍♀️

Aug 9, 2011
Broadway
Funster No
MH
Aclass
Exp
since 2009
Just William - Biggles for me
Absolutely right. Great stories with correct punctuation. Also, Dan Dare who appears in the Eagle. Clarke Ashton Smith followed shortly afterwards. Nothing quite like necromancy to liven up the day.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
The Faraway tree adventures are the only books I really remember reading myself as a kid, I read them over and over again - loved the magical world created by Enid Blyton. Funny enough thinking of reading them again now to see if I still enjoy them :blush:

As a tween I moved on to Judy Bloom (racy ha ha) and my favourite book read at school was Lord of the flies.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I started reading proper books at about 4 years old.
Favourites were The Iliad and Odessy, both by Homer, then progressed to introduction to physcoanalysis by Sigmund Freud at 5.
The ancient mariner also held my attention, and I read that one several times.
Next came the Lord of the Rings, in its original Orcish.
Now I enjoy the Beano and Dandy.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
I also loved Smuggler Ben, another Enid Blyton. She was such a great children’s writer, even though frowned upon now for being all none PC.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07

Wilbur Smith.... My favourite author. :)

If you look under Forums we have a Book Club.. Youcould put books in there and people are very interested.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I also loved Smuggler Ben, another Enid Blyton. She was such a great children’s writer, even though frowned upon now for being all none PC.

Did you see the documentary on her? Surprisingly, it said she was a lousy mother.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Wilbur Smith.... My favourite author. :)

Until the later years I'm led to believe when he started co-writing with someone else. I've avoided them going on reviews but I could be wrong. When I get up to date with Bernard Cornwell, Ken Follett and the Shardlake stories (name escapes me) I may well give Wilbur a chance again. :)

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I was always out playing knock down ginger.
Then when I went to bed it was 2 world war escape stories. That’s why I would like to visit Koblenz.
Now it is Any Lee Childs books.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I'm currently reading a Lovejoy book. Only because it was the only thing I had to read on our 2 ferry, 1 hotel trek back from the Faroes a couple of weeks ago. My mother told me 20 years ago he's much rougher in the books, as is Tinker Dill, than the TV show, and she was right. Can't say I'm enjoying it as evidenced by the fact I'm only 2/3rd through after 3 weeks!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I was always out playing knock down ginger.
Then when I went to bed it was 2 world war escape stories. That’s why I would like to visit Koblenz.
Now it is Any Lee Childs books.
Yes like lee child’s , jo nesbo is good as well with the Harry hole series. For get the name but one who writes about a Scottish copper who rises through the ranks to the top. It’s a series of books.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Until the later years I'm led to believe when he started co-writing with someone else. I've avoided them going on reviews but I could be wrong. When I get up to date with Bernard Cornwell, Ken Follett and the Shardlake stories (name escapes me) I may well give Wilbur a chance again. :)

Tis true.. I was disappointed in later books and felt he might have provided the plot but someone else had done the writing.

The first one I read of his was Heart of Danger..

Like Bernard Cornwell too. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back