Faulty reverse cam I'm stumped (1 Viewer)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Having just bought my new mh last week I was disappointed to discover the reverse camera doesn't work :(.... The monitor just constantly says no signal but it obviously has power to display this message, the camera itself appears to have condensation inside it and I thought that would be a good starting point and figured I'd remove the camera try another as they are fairly cheap on Ebay.
Problem is the cable disappears through a very small hole in the rear panel and I can't for the life of me see where it goes after that to disconnect the plug.
It goes up behind a blown molded panel and there's a high level brake light fitted there, I removed this hoping to see the cables of the cameras but nope no access in there. Inside the van there's two cupboards but again these have no access to the rear of the camera.
I can't see the camera having been installed prior to the interior being fitted so what's the secret.... I'm stumped
20170826_122611.jpg
20170826_122605.jpg

Attachments

• 20170826_122622.jpg
    20170826_122622.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 19

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Could you show us the rear n/side corner and rear o/side corner.

Ours magically appears in the cassette holder cupboard on the rear n/s but I'm bu66ered if I know how it gets there.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Could you show us the rear n/side corner and rear o/side corner.

Ours magically appears in the cassette holder cupboard on the rear n/s but I'm bu66ered if I know how it gets there.
Ours too (Hobby 750) in the bathroom there is a moulding that the down lighters are in and that's where it comes in then down into the cassette cupboard.

image.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Inside the motorhome at the back is my transverse bed with two cupboards above it, there are no cable trunkings etc inside anywhere near the camera.
Looking at camera kits available for sale, there's normally about half a metre of cable from camera which then has a yellow plug a red plug and then a positive and negative wire, but the hole the cable going to the camera goes through none of those plugs would fit

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Could you remove \ disconnect the cable from the camera body and reconnect to the new one the same way thereby bypassing the "internal" connectors? Might be how it was wired previously given the small dimensions of the hole?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Could you remove \ disconnect the cable from the camera body and reconnect to the new one the same way thereby bypassing the "internal" connectors? Might be how it was wired previously given the small dimensions of the hole?
I'm not sure but I'm thinking this might be the best option, I've just been up the ladder again and it looks like it's definitely the camera that's faulty as the wire is broken just before it goes in to the camera body.... If it's just 4 wires I can cut and join then that's probably the best option

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'm not sure but I'm thinking this might be the best option, I've just been up the ladder again and it looks like it's definitely the camera that's faulty as the wire is broken just before it goes in to the camera body.... If it's just 4 wires I can cut and join then that's probably the best option
If you're cutting the wires could you fit the same connectors (RCA but opposite gender?) to the existing wire tails as are on the new camera and just "plug it in"? You'd have to waterproof the connections but might make it easier?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you're cutting the wires could you fit the same connectors (RCA but opposite gender?) to the existing wire tails as are on the new camera and just "plug it in"? You'd have to waterproof the connections but might make it easier?
Possibly although I've perhaps 2" of wire at max to play with

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Yes I think so.... I figure I'll have a go as I'd have to get someone to look at it otherwise anyway so may aswell try myself first and if it don't work I'll get a technician to it
Best of luck. As you say, worth a go yourself first.(y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Most cameras have, as you say, RCA plugs & a power connector. Normally, between those and the camera, is a very slim multi-pin connector. Scroll down the eBay link below & you'll see what I mean.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Most cameras have, as you say, RCA plugs & a power connector. Normally, between those and the camera, is a very slim multi-pin connector. Scroll down the eBay link below & you'll see what I mean.
Yep it's finding that connector that's proving difficult and the hole the cable goes through is like 6-8mm wide so the connector wouldn't fit through it. And none of those panels look removable

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Did you buy from a dealer? if so take it back and get them to sort it out!
Cheers, Dave(y)

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Did you buy from a dealer? if so take it back and get them to sort it out!
Cheers, Dave(y)
Nah I bought it privately, it isn't an overly expensive repair just an annoying one.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
If you get this image on your monitor you`ll know your on the right track and you have the wires the right way around !
133617-3.jpg
Sorry, the red wines made an appearance tonight !

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Get off that ladder you daft bugger, you should be taking it easy after your hernia op ! :)
Shhhhhhh you'll get me in trouble.
I was very careful and trying not to do to much so I was just having a look at the minute.... I've never been one for sitting around so I'm really struggling lol.
So many little jobs I want to get fixed on the van but the camera is quite important so I was hoping for an easy fix. Doesn't seem to be many techs round my way either.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
I had a similar problem with ours, Autosleeper in their wisdom decided to hide the wiring behind the rear panel without an inside access !
The only way to gain access to the plug and socket connections/ wiring was to make an access from within a cupboard behind the camera and cover the new access with a piece of suitable material, I used a piece of thin formica.
Autosleeper use a new piece of original board to make a false back to the cupboard when a warranty repair is needed.
You'll probably need to cut the plugs off the new camera and make a new joint to the original camera wiring.

I hope this helps

Chris
161.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yep it's finding that connector that's proving difficult and the hole the cable goes through is like 6-8mm wide so the connector wouldn't fit through it. And none of those panels look removable
The multipin connector I mentioned is between 6 & 8mm.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
The multipin connector I mentioned is between 6 & 8mm.

The small multi pin connector shown in the ebay link is only on the monitor lead but phono plugs on the camera. Autosleepers use the small 7mm diameter plug on the original Veba camera but unfortunately the cameras are approx £100 and they don't last long, you would still have to locate the plug and socket behind the rear panel first.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've a cheap camera ordered from eBay, I'm going to try and cut and join the cables and see if I get an image on the monitor.
If no success I'm going to just put a whole new camera kit in.
Can't access the cables and can't see where they feed too they are extremely well hidden

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I drilled a hole in the moulding of my Frankia and tried to fish it from the top brake light,the idea was to run it along and down one side then under the van. Maybe thats how yours is done,I was unsuccessful and left it to Phil of Rhino installs to complete when he fitted my alarm.

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
As bigtree suggests, I think you may find the connections lurking behind the high level brake light

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As bigtree suggests, I think you may find the connections lurking behind the high level brake light
I've been in there and looked and unfortunately no luck nothing behind that whatsoever

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
IMG_0175.JPG
Oops sorry meant the top rear light,either left or right.:oops: i tried to fish it from the left hand one you see in this picture.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oops sorry meant the top rear light,either left or right.:oops:
I'll have a look behind them see if I can see anything...... Cable seems to have zero give in it either I'd have expected a little loose cable other side of the hole it disappears through

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I'll have a look behind them see if I can see anything...... Cable seems to have zero give in it either I'd have expected a little loose cable other side of the hole it disappears through

Cameras are usually pre-wired with a meter of cable to maintain IP (ingress protection) rating so I would imagine the panel where the cable enters must be removable to some degree as someone has drilled an enlogated hole of sorts
Maybe if you break the silicone seal and pull the panel away the connectors are behind in the void or as suggested behind the light fitting
It must be there somewhere just need to keep looking

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back