Free Member
Jul 18, 2020
Poole, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Newbie - though Caravan owner since 1988
Hi all. I recently bought a campervan for the first time and have a challenge with the 12V power system. The van uses a PMS3V to manage the power as well as charging the battery when mains power is available. The battery is also (separately) charged from a solar panel. I have had the van connected to our mains supply since we got it home four weeks ago, but I've never seen the battery fully charged. If I disconnect the input from the solar panel the battery voltage falls quite swiftly, so I think that the battery needs replacing (it got to less than 10V in about 10mins before I chickened out and reconnected the solar panel). However I'm loath to put a new battery in until I'm happy it can be recharged. The lights on the front panel of the PMS3 look normal (the 'charging' light illuminates), however when I disconnect the battery from the PMS3 and put a DVM between the 'Van' terminal and the -ve rail, I see nothing whereas I would expect 13 volts (or over). This is why I assume that the PMS3 is faulty. Am I missing something? I've checked the circuit breakers and fuses at the front of the PMS3 as well as the 20A fuse at the back. I just thought I'd get a second opinion before I replace the PMS3. Thanks. Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What voltage do you get on the battery when it is allegedly charging. If its around 13.6v and fallsto 10v when disconnected its the battery thats duff. If its only 12.7v or less when charging its the charger at fault though the battery has probably had it too by now.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back