Faults on motorhome cannot get the dealer to rectify (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We bought a new Bailey Autograph august 20.Continental leisure Llanilli.We live 4 hours away.Loads of things wrong.Good job other half is good at fixing things.They wanted us to take it back & leave it for 3 months before they went in it due to Covid.I got in touch with bailey who advised to get jobs done under warranty at a local Bailey dealer.Nobody would fit us in.I rung 3 dealers who wil only deal with past customers.So guess what I’ve bitten the bullet and we are going to Llanilli in nov.They Will have a look & we will have to take it back when parts in.Which she said could take up to 6 months due to not getting hold of parts from bailey.She said she even had to drive to Bristol herself the other day to pick up parts (oh dear)
That's rediculas, if the parts are there to be picked up why can't they fetch anything.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Bought a new Pilote motorhome from SMC Newark just at the beginning of the last lock down and couldn't use it until may and found a lot of faults and issues with it after contacting SMC on a few occasions have just been fobbed off.
The motorhome was brand new with a two year warranty.
On two occasions i have had to rectify the faults myself the most severe being the electrics were constantly tripping out which when traced led to a connection that had been wrongly wired with the earth and neutral crossed i would have thought that a full electrical test would have been carried out prior to delivery.
Due to the amount of issues I am now finding I have lost all faith in SMC and Pilote.
Does anyone know what course of action I may be able to take to get these problem sorted.
Trading Standards? Or are you too late?

Jun 13, 2021
Pevensey Bay, Pevensey, UK
Funster No
MH
IH680 cfl
Exp
Bought a new Pilote motorhome from SMC Newark just at the beginning of the last lock down and couldn't use it until may and found a lot of faults and issues with it after contacting SMC on a few occasions have just been fobbed off.
The motorhome was brand new with a two year warranty.
On two occasions i have had to rectify the faults myself the most severe being the electrics were constantly tripping out which when traced led to a connection that had been wrongly wired with the earth and neutral crossed i would have thought that a full electrical test would have been carried out prior to delivery.
Due to the amount of issues I am now finding I have lost all faith in SMC and Pilote.
Does anyone know what course of action I may be able to take to get these problem sorted.
I spoke to Alister as we are looking for a new van he said phone him he will sort , I’ve always found Smc to be excellent.I have his mobile number if you need

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
The earth should never we swapped with live or neutral.
Live and neutral swapped on a contental van would not be considered a problem as all contental supplies are double switched and they don't differentrate between live & neutral.
Does that mean a double pole switch? For isolation of live/ neutral or does each have a separate fuse if a fault occurs? Very strange !

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
I do have some sympathy for the dealers as they don’t actually build this crapppp , and they are inundated with warranty issues. But on the other hand the dealers are choosing to sell the stuff and making a profit on the junk ,particularly at this time so they are responsible to put things right! The dealers when an issue does arise seem to take things personally and think the customer is out of order for raising the issue

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
This just proves how important a good dealer is. We’ve previously had a big problem with a dealer, which was resolved after we threatened them with the small claims court.

We now use Southdowns in Portsmouth and they are excellent.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Does that mean a double pole switch? For isolation of live/ neutral or does each have a separate fuse if a fault occurs? Very strange !
European practice is to use double pole switching thus totally isolating electrically anything attached. UK practice only switches the live brown wire so remember that the blue neutral is still “live"

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They use radial circuits wtth a double pole MCB feeding them, most sockets are unswitched or if switched they use a double pole switch.

Quite a few UK manufacturers 13amp sockets are double pole switched, Mem, Volex, Contactum etc.

My Motorhomehas a double pole MCB and unswitched sockets.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
European practice is to use double pole switching thus totally isolating electrically anything attached. UK practice only switches the live brown wire so remember that the blue neutral is still “live"
That’s ok if switching off supply manually to isolate, but what happens when a fault occurs do both live and neutral have trips so they isolate the supply to both live and neutral?

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
They use radial circuits wtth a double pole MCB feeding them, most sockets are unswitched or if switched they use a double pole switch.

Quite a few UK manufacturers 13amp sockets are double pole switched, Mem, Volex, Contactum etc.

My Motorhomehas a double pole MCB and unswitched sockets.
Sorry Lenny our posts crossed now I understand! Because reversed polarity can kill !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our van has standard German sockets it doesn't matter which way they are wired as you can put the plug in either way round.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
Our van has standard German sockets it doesn't matter which way they are wired as you can put the plug in either way round.
Not sure what that means ? Put the plug in either way a 3 pin plug can only fit one way, can’t it ?

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Not sure what that means ? Put the plug in either way a 3 pin plug can only fit one way, can’t it ?
The key to Lenny’s post, is that “German sockets“ comment. So being Euro plugs they are just two pin/hole setup. So plug can go in either way. As it doesn’t matter which was electricity flows.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We love our van, picked up new September 2020.

Snag list was far too long for a new van as far as I’m concerned. Getting it back to the dealers for any work was impossible. Yes, delays due to COVID, but even when they were open they couldn’t fit us in. We had our first Hab check done locally as the dealer we purchased off couldn’t fit us in in time to comply with Sunlights warranty terms.

Finally came to an agreement with the dealer, he sends me all the parts and I fit them or get them fitted at my expense……before anyone says, ‘That’s not right / fair’, I know but having waited more than 12 months for some parts I just want to get things done and enjoy our van.……which we are doing. (y)

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Ok my van is German but has traditional uk 3 pin sockets! Hence the confusion thanks
Lenny imports his vans from Germany so they are German spec

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015

Snag list was far too long for a new van as far as I’m concerned. Getting it back to the dealers for any work was impossible. Yes, delays due to COVID, but even when they were open they couldn’t fit us in. We had our first Hab check done locally as the dealer we purchased off couldn’t fit us in in time to comply with Sunlights warranty terms.

Finally came to an agreement with the dealer, he sends me all the parts and I fit them or get them fitted at my expense……before anyone says, ‘That’s not right / fair’, I know but having waited more than 12 months for some parts I just want to get things done and enjoy our van.……which we are doing. (y)
Yes when I was away in the van my water pump gave up , so I contacted my supplying dealer under warranty and they sent me a replacement upgraded pump which I fitted myself on the campsite, it needed a few alterations but had enough tools etc to manage it .My biggest gripe is the fact other dealers won’t touch my van because it wasn’t purchased from them it’s ridiculous.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I do have some sympathy for the dealers as they don’t actually build this crapppp , and they are inundated with warranty issues. But on the other hand the dealers are choosing to sell the stuff and making a profit on the junk ,particularly at this time so they are responsible to put things right! The dealers when an issue does arise seem to take things personally and think the customer is out of order for raising the issue
But it makes sure the dealer checks the vehicle properly when they buy it, before passing it on.

Sep 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Just looking
TC Motorhomes in Herne Bay, Kent. My experience was first rate. I am not sure how much second hand stock they have, I was down there a few months back for a service and Hab check and they only had a few second hand MH's in stock. They are a main dealer for Chausson. If a decent trade in lands they market it on their forecourt. I simply cannot believe how many problems new MH's seem to have. I am so glad my nearly new MH has been a good one.... A little tip, Les Bateman Motors in Southend are a decent little find for running repairs and general maintenance and MOT's. Bit old school but do a decent job and trustworthy.
Thank you Mike (& sorry to OP for pinching your thread). Funnily enough we went to TC to check out Chaussons a couple of months ago and they were lovely, limited vans in as you say, but happy for us to tyre kick and offer us advice. I will keep a note of Les Bateman Motors - much appreciated.

Jun 2, 2020
Leigh On Sea, Essex
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 412
Exp
6 months
Thank you Mike (& sorry to OP for pinching your thread). Funnily enough we went to TC to check out Chaussons a couple of months ago and they were lovely, limited vans in as you say, but happy for us to tyre kick and offer us advice. I will keep a note of Les Bateman Motors - much appreciated.
Good luck with your hunt for a MH, having gone through the same process and learnt a lot in nearly two years of ownership please feel free to pick my brains and for what it is worth I will give you my thoughts... all the best.

Wyvern

Free Member
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs i7150 esprit
Exp
Since 2018
Possibly a little off topic but there are some good manufacturers out there. We have bought a very well equipped and therefore complex Moho from RP Motorhomes.

We have had one item go wrong which was a door close mechanism which was sorted immediately. Great product supported by great service.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I am begginging to wonder if i might regret selling a perfectly good Autotrail (did i really say that).
The pleasures, trials and tribulations of owning brand new will befall us from Jan.🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Jun 9, 2021
Exeter, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 736G
Exp
1 year.
We had similar problems with South Hereford Motorhome and Caravan Centre in Ross on Wye where we bought a brand new Autotrail. We found a few faults and bits missing inside so they arranged for us to drive the 200mile round trip to get it sorted. After 4 hours with their workshop we were told the missing bits are Autotrails fault, the tap they fixed we noticed was still dripping and a wobbly step still wobbling. The technician then lost his temper reduced my wife to tears and refused to do anymore work on it!
We complained to the owner who refused to help and we were told to get it fixed elsewhere!!
Shocking service and attitude from a company like most of them who seem to take your money and run!!
Luckily Autotrail have stepped in and sent me the parts and suggested anything further on the warranty to find my nearest dealer who will fix it.

Nov 20, 2017
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since 2015
We had similar problems with South Hereford Motorhome and Caravan Centre in Ross on Wye where we bought a brand new Autotrail. We found a few faults and bits missing inside so they arranged for us to drive the 200mile round trip to get it sorted. After 4 hours with their workshop we were told the missing bits are Autotrails fault, the tap they fixed we noticed was still dripping and a wobbly step still wobbling. The technician then lost his temper reduced my wife to tears and refused to do anymore work on it!
We complained to the owner who refused to help and we were told to get it fixed elsewhere!!
Shocking service and attitude from a company like most of them who seem to take your money and run!!
Luckily Autotrail have stepped in and sent me the parts and suggested anything further on the warranty to find my nearest dealer who will fix it.
Wow these morons seem some pheasant pluckers let’s hope they get their comeuppance! Good luck going forward hope all works out well for you.

Aug 12, 2021
Funster No
MH
chausson

The issue with that is your warranty is now null and void?

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
The issue with that is your warranty is now null and void?
Nope. Got it on an email, the dealer agreeing to the terms. Any jobs I can’t do I’ll take to our nearest Sunlight Dealer in Ilminster, Somerset……downside is they will charge me labour.

Sunlight are pretty strict as you must have an annual Hab check (hardly a service!) done by a Sunlight Dealership.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Nope. Got it on an email, the dealer agreeing to the terms. Any jobs I can’t do I’ll take to our nearest Sunlight Dealer in Ilminster, Somerset……downside is they will charge me labour.

Sunlight are pretty strict as you must have an annual Hab check (hardly a service!) done by a Sunlight Dealership.

Many of the routine 'must be serviced by.......' type of agreements relating typically to main dealers/franchises etc were outlawed in the Competition Act 1998. To apply such a specific restriction requires obtaining an exemption and has to show it is not anti-competition and has some tangible consumer benefit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back