Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Just picked up a 2007 Autotrail Apache 3 litre and during a long drive home the engine light came on. Took it to a local garage by which time the light had gone off, they put it on the diagnostic and found P0104, P0638 and P0402 which they cleared. Engine is running fine no light now anyone have an idea of what may have made the light go on? Fault codes are not date stamped so do not know what order they came.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
P0104....mass airflow intermittent
P0638....throttle actuator control range
P0402....exhaust gas recirculation excessive

My guess is a sticky EGR valve or dirty air flow sensor.

First check would be the mass airflow sensor in the inlet pipework.
You can buy a proper cleaning aerosol but care must be taken as they are delicate and easily broken.

If it's running OK now I would wait to see if the code reappears.
All three are related and one fault could throw all the codes, but It may just be a glitch and never come back.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Buy a cheap OBDII reader, then you can reset any codes at the roadside if you need to.
My car is intermittently plagued by fault codes and once reset can take many months to resurface, if at all.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Thanks pappajohn that is exactly what my garage said so maybe its a wait and see game. I just thought maybe someone could point at one device that would through all three codes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
You dont say if van has been sat about before sale. May have a bit of water in the fuel ?, good refill and a run may sort it.
As said OBD2 READER cheap on ebay and always handy to keep in van.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
You dont say if van has been sat about before sale. May have a bit of water in the fuel ?, good refill and a run may sort it.
As said OBD2 READER cheap on ebay and always handy to keep in van.
It had been stood for some time with not a lot of fuel in the tank so that is a possibility, just after the light came on I filled the tank than drove 300 miles with the light on. I filled up again straight after the trip still with the light on. The next morning I ran the engine for 10 mins still the light on. Booked it in for a diagnostic at a garage a mile away, sods law on the way the light went off.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You can clear an intermittent fault without a code reader by turning off the ignition, wait say 10 secs then start up again. Repeat this 5 times and the fault light will (probably) go out - sounds like what you've actually done. If it doesn't, it's a repeating fault which needs investigating.

Sounds like you need the "Italian" fix - make sure all engine levels are okay then give it a good thrashing for about 10/15 mins. Higher revs in a lower gear and get some load on it e.g. hills etc. This helps to clear out any gunge - but your 300 mile trip might already have done the trick. Been well discussed before on here - and it worked for me!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Left for a while with not much in the tank is a recipie for getting water condensed out of the air in the tank in the fuel perhaps that was it

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
You can clear an intermittent fault without a code reader by turning off the ignition, wait say 10 secs then start up again. Repeat this 5 times and the fault light will (probably) go out - sounds like what you've actually done. If it doesn't, it's a repeating fault which needs investigating.

Sounds like you need the "Italian" fix - make sure all engine levels are okay then give it a good thrashing for about 10/15 mins. Higher revs in a lower gear and get some load on it e.g. hills etc. This helps to clear out any gunge - but your 300 mile trip might already have done the trick. Been well discussed before on here - and it worked for me!

I didn't know of the 5 times starting so yes maybe with stops on the trip I did reset it when starting to go to the garage. Will have to wait a bit to do the Italian Job as I will have my toad on the back for the next trip. The 300 mile trip was mostly low revs keeping to 60 as towing.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Left for a while with not much in the tank is a recipie for getting water condensed out of the air in the tank in the fuel perhaps that was it
In a past life I was a Yachty so knew about keeping a full tank to avoid water in it as it "breaths"

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I didn't know of the 5 times starting so yes maybe with stops on the trip I did reset it when starting to go to the garage. Will have to wait a bit to do the Italian Job as I will have my toad on the back for the next trip. The 300 mile trip was mostly low revs keeping to 60 as towing.
Most engine fault codes rely on counters. An example is a misfire: the ECU will count them and if the count exceeds a critical number (set by the vehicle manufacturer) the engine fault light will come on. However the count is reset by yet another counter that counts successful 'run' events - which are engine start, a time running, then engine stop. If the first counter exceeds the threshold before being reset by the second the dashboard warning light is illuminated. If the first is reset before reaching threshold then the warning light does not come on. It's also worth knowing that limp mode (if and when it happens) is not designed to "save the engine" or " prevent damage" or "for safety reasons" - it's there to force a repair visit before your misbehaving engine can cause any more pollution.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Most engine fault codes rely on counters. An example is a misfire: the ECU will count them and if the count exceeds a critical number (set by the vehicle manufacturer) the engine fault light will come on. However the count is reset by yet another counter that counts successful 'run' events - which are engine start, a time running, then engine stop. If the first counter exceeds the threshold before being reset by the second the dashboard warning light is illuminated. If the first is reset before reaching threshold then the warning light does not come on. It's also worth knowing that limp mode (if and when it happens) is not designed to "save the engine" or " prevent damage" or "for safety reasons" - it's there to force a repair visit before your misbehaving engine can cause any more pollution.
Very interesting Tony thank you.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Update on my problems. I have now changed the Throttle body, bought a reader to reset codes and all has been fine until my last trip. I did a weekend away with a 300 mile drive down south and all was fine then on the way back after around 250 miles the engine light cane on. Engine was running very well with no problems at all. Read the codes this morning and it was just a P0402 "exhaust gas recirculation flow excessive detected" have now reset the light. So what to do next do I remove EGR valve and check it? its a 3.0 litre Ducato 2007 is the easy to do? any other recommendations?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Had similar problems found an electronic tuning booster wired in to management system was tripping when hot, removed and not had problem since.

OP
OP
ES Cumbrian

ES Cumbrian

Free Member
Oct 10, 2014
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
3 years
Had similar problems found an electronic tuning booster wired in to management system was tripping when hot, removed and not had problem since.
Not noticed any tuning booster on mine are they easy to spot?

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Check if any cables are spliced in on electrical feeds to injectors, our was fixed above engine bay near wipers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back