Faroe Islands just for @veevee (1 Viewer)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
It was your thread but . . .

Expensive to take a motorhome to the Faroes. Most going that way include it as part of a longer tour to Iceland and we see a lot of ugly trucks going that way along with some more normal vans. In the summer months Smyril Line's Norrona sails from Hirtshals on the northern tip of Jutland/Jylland to Torshavn twice a week allowing a 3 day stopover in the Faroes before going on to Iceland on the second return. Not cheap, we paid £950 for a return trip in June which was the beginning of the High Season, returning early September which is Mid Season I think. That included the car and a 2 berth cabin which is almost essential for the 30 hour crossing, we like our sleep. Since the demise of the Harwich to Esbjerg route by DFDS, which was not cheap anyway, on the occasions we've taken a car we've gone Harwich to Hook of Holland with Stena overnight which gives us a good start to do some 450 miles the first day to Kolding and a hotel before reaching Hirtshals the next day. Add in the cost of Stena plus hotels each way and we've spent £1500. Some years, including this year as we can't leave the dog too long, we take the car out early, leave it and fly home and back for August when our boys join us, another cost but we do it while we still can.

In a motorhome of course the onboard cost will be more but you will save on Stena with a cheaper channel crossing and the need for hotels, easy enough to check costs on the website.

This year there were some 22 vans, amongst others, from the C&CC guided trip. I did warn those I met in the restaurant not to expect UK type sites with grass and hedges, more gravel and tufts of untamed grass and weeds sprouting where they shouldn't. Plenty of "camp sites" scattered around and from what I've seen this year cost around 150/200 DKr a night - £17/22. No wild camping as such but I've seen vans parked in harbours and odd places overnight so I don't think the occasional freebie would be noticed. The roads are good and of the 18 islands you can discount 8 of those with either no roads, no vehicular access or no point visiting unless walking is on the agenda. Of the rest a bridge, undersea tunnels and ferries provide excellent links and, apart from the southernmost island Suduroy which is two hour from Torshavn, nowhere is more than an hour or so by road.

Winters are not necessarily bad, very little snow last winter I'm told but the long dark nights would get me down.

This would be a good wilding spot, the southen end of Eysturoy where they have built a road to feed the wind turbines. It used to take us 90 minutes to walk out here to fish.

upload_2017-7-21_22-16-2.jpeg

Bossdalurfoss in Gasadalur

upload_2017-7-21_22-18-58.jpeg

Tindholmur

upload_2017-7-21_22-20-15.jpeg

Enjoying coffee and waffles on a sunny day in Tjornuvik.

upload_2017-7-21_22-22-59.jpeg

Risin og Kellingin, The Giant and the Hag off the north of Eysturoy.

upload_2017-7-21_22-26-39.jpeg

And from the church in Tjornuvik.

upload_2017-7-21_22-27-57.jpeg

Nes and Toftir from the southern end of Eysturoy, another good spot for an overnight, loads of parking and not a soul in sight.

upload_2017-7-21_22-30-43.jpeg

Most pics of the Faroes tend to be scenic but there are busy parts, downtown Torshavn, notice all the traffic.

upload_2017-7-21_22-32-44.jpeg

Another good wilding spot.

upload_2017-7-21_22-37-40.jpeg

Sometimes the sun even shines.

upload_2017-7-21_22-39-10.jpeg

Gjogv with it's natural harbour, a lifeline in the old days and still used today.

upload_2017-7-21_22-40-36.jpeg

Haldorsvik with its octagonal church.

upload_2017-7-21_22-42-48.jpeg

Selatrad and its campsite four years ago, it may have improved since then. The others I've seen are better but as said not up to UK standards but then in a motorhome all you need is the basics.

upload_2017-7-21_22-44-59.jpeg

And Norrona.

upload_2017-7-21_23-8-32.png

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes it is, busy in the bigger towns with plenty of traffic and people, they have shops there too. :LOL: But in the smaller places very quiet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Do you work for the tourist board?

Are the islands visitable without transport, for example is there good reasonable accommodation for visitors and public transport? Or if arriving by car are there hotels/hostels/B&B's?

It isn't so much the remoteness that's interesting, part of the year we live in a very rural area and have all the peace and quiet we need, but there is something in your photos that makes the views magical. Over the next few days I'll research using your information, if there are other questions do you mind?

Must thank you very very much for taking the trouble and all your time putting this together, hope other people like what you have shown as much as we do.

As a little something in return here's a photo of the biggest event we've had here in two years since 2 lost Collies were walking down the road and we had to look after them for a couple of days. The event happened yesterday and is now famous for kms all around. It's 'The Stand-off at the Old Watering Hole' when a large flock of sheep broke into the neighbouring field and headed straight for the cattle who retreated to the water hole, round here it will go down in the annuls of history as one of the more dastardly deeds ever.

e3032a.jpg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
@Bailey58, love your photos, thanks for posting them.
Back in the 70s my ex-husband was offered a job in the Faroes. I was keen to go, thought it'd be a great experience, but he was very unadventurous ( boring) and turned the job down :(

P.S You should write a book !

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
@Bailey58, love your photos, thanks for posting them.
Back in the 70s my ex-husband was offered a job in the Faroes. I was keen to go, thought it'd be a great experience, but he was very unadventurous ( boring) and turned the job down :(

P.S You should write a book !

I seem to remember reading that in one of my old Faroes posts, it must have been you. :)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I seem to remember reading that in one of my old Faroes posts, it must have been you. :)

Sorry! Brain fog.
.Still love your photos and wish we'd taken the leap-- it was only a two year contract.
Are the grass covered roofs for insulation ?

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes the grass roofs are for insulation, not so much these days although they are still in use and new ones installed to preserve traditions. Those in the Torshavn pic are a mix of restaurants and a music shop - TUTL - although the their new uptown store. TUTL's album of the week features Faroese artist Eivor who some may remember sang the music on Bernard Cornwell's Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Those particular buildings are the tail end of Tinganes, the Faroes Parliament, possibly the oldest in the world and still the parliament today in old wooden builings with wooden gutters and downpipes.

upload_2017-7-22_12-11-15.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-11-40.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-12-34.jpeg

Oh and I've found my own pic of Norrona, with apologies to Marine Traffic for the earlier one.

upload_2017-7-22_12-14-8.jpeg

Our trek to Mykines and the bird island.

Helicopter out, boat home.

upload_2017-7-22_12-24-0.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-25-12.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-21-47.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-18-32.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-19-24.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-28-43.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_12-29-32.jpeg

Torshavn, Vogsbotn - the harbour during Ólavsøka, the National Saints Day.

upload_2017-7-22_12-35-5.jpeg

Oh and another, better camp site, probably the best. In Eidi on the north of Eysturoy on the original football pitch which was sand and artificial grass. I played football on here in 1968 and what takes 30 minutes by road now took all day by road and boat back then.

Attachments

• P1050231.JPG
    P1050231.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Thank you for posting the information.

We visited Torshavn once as part of an arctic cruise, it was a couple of days after the National Day and the party was still in full swing. We always said we would go back and for longer ..... wonderful place.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yes @veevee plenty of accomodation and car rental options and good bus and ferry connections all over the islands. It may be worth doing the sums on taking a car via Hirtshals or flying out from Edinburgh with Atlantic Airways who fly on Thursday and Sunday in an extended summer schedule. They did use Stansted and then Gatwick until recently but with more destinations added to their schedule it's now Edinburgh, or from Copenhagen several flights a day. We've gone Easyjet via Copenhagen which is always an option all year.

Plenty of hotels and guest houses and they even do Airbnb now which we learnt when visiting family in Gjogv (seen in an earlier pic) this summer. What was the Community Hall I think with a commercial kitchen on the lower floor, one large hall at ground level with several dinning tables and a communal bedroom on the top with many mattresses. There were around 15 staying there for a weekend.

upload_2017-7-22_13-0-8.jpeg

This little lass was adopted and loves her new home in the Faroes.

upload_2017-7-22_13-1-21.jpeg

Plenty of info on Visit Faroe Islands
Faroe Islands
Smyril Line
Atlantic Airways
Vestmanna Trips
Bus and Ferry Routes

I find the tours by various companies very expensive when you can do the same thing for virtually nothing when you live in the place but of course not everyone has that advantage, we often meet people walking around from cruise ships or looking lost at the airport and have offered lifts or helped them on their way, we enjoy sharing our love of the islands.

Vestmanna lost a lot of trade when the tunnel from Streymoy to Vagar opened allowing people to drive to the airport and the ferry connection ended. They have since expanded boat tours and opened their own visitors centre and restaurant as well as the scruffy campsite mentioned earlier. Trips to the bird cliffs and fishing trips from a couple of operators.

Another interesting, extremely useful and extremely expensive project now underway is the construction of two more tunnels linking, this time, Eysturoy to Streymoy and the Peninsular Strendur and the other linking Streymoy to Sandoy. We can see Torshavn from our house but the road journey, is it 40 miles or km, can't remember, takes an hour along the fjord across the bridge and back along to the capital. Beautiful drive but it does get tedious when folk have to do it every day for work. It will cut our journey time to 15 minutes and, I'm told, increase the value of our house. (y)

upload_2017-7-22_13-26-50.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_13-42-43.jpeg

upload_2017-7-22_13-57-37.jpeg

Toftir and our house is is above the big lake where the harbour is showing.

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-22_13-27-59.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-22_13-27-59.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
Rob, would it be right to say the only real way to arrive in the Faroes is by sea to appreciate the remoteness?

Again really appreciate the effort you have gone to getting all this together but please don't feel obliged to do this as you've already helped way beyond what I would have hoped for.

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Rob, would it be right to say the only real way to arrive in the Faroes is by sea to appreciate the remoteness?

Again really appreciate the effort you have gone to getting all this together but please don't feel obliged to do this as you've already helped way beyond what I would have hoped for.

No problem.:) Probably but coming in by air is also an experience but you can't always rely on good weather for the views.

In the winter.

And with some music.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Just been looking at Haldorsvik church, it must be hexagonal, they'd have a job getting the extra sides in from that pic. :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back