Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
l am about to make the purchase decision on the Montana 700i as l get in lots of remote areas on my MTB any experienced views appreciated.
Ill add a couple points..
I have the earlier version and it's suitable for what you plan.. they have an excellent screen size..
If you are going to be using it for turn by turn nav on sections of a ride you will need a bike mount.. the dedicated unit would be my choice..it is very secure and needs to be (y) ..
Finding a suitable spot to mount on bars can be an issue with the shapes of modern bars.. and then you still have the issue of it rotating due to vibration..these are all issues I came up against..
The vibration can be severe on some surfaces..I was concerned it might damage the unit but so far so good...and you will want the auto rotate of screen disabled(y).or you will not know where you are:ROFLMAO:
All I can think of atm..
Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Ill add a couple points..
I have the earlier version and it's suitable for what you plan.. they have an excellent screen size..
If you are going to be using it for turn by turn nav on sections of a ride you will need a bike mount.. the dedicated unit would be my choice..it is very secure and needs to be (y) ..
Finding a suitable spot to mount on bars can be an issue with the shapes of modern bars.. and then you still have the issue of it rotating due to vibration..these are all issues I came up against..
The vibration can be severe on some surfaces..I was concerned it might damage the unit but so far so good...and you will want the auto rotate of screen disabled(y).or you will not know where you are:ROFLMAO:
All I can think of atm..
Andy
Thanks Andy some good tips.

Apr 2, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I have recently bought the 700 version, but for walking. I use my 1030 for cycling. However, so far, found the Montana very good. Signal acquisition excellent in remote areas, and good in forest also. Battery life good. Make sure you buy from somebody who is bundling full UK OS maps. Not all sellers do.

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I have recently bought the 700 version, but for walking. I use my 1030 for cycling. However, so far, found the Montana very good. Signal acquisition excellent in remote areas, and good in forest also. Battery life good. Make sure you buy from somebody who is bundling full UK OS maps. Not all sellers do.
GPS Training currently look to be who l will go with, free Topo mapping and access to the training videos

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
I use 2 Garmin GPS units.
For the MTB (VTT) and walking I use the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx
Great hand held or in a small cradle on the bars. Good battery life. Simple to use.
Small screen but ok. Only negative it can only use one map at a time.
For the Motorcycle Off-Road and On-Road I use the Garmin 680T
Great screen, holds multiple maps, and profiles.
Both easy to use, but you will need BaseCamp to get the best out of the units.
I understand the 700i is a great GPS.
Unfortunately the 60CSx is 10 years old and still going well and the 680 is 6 years old.
Never had a problem with them over the 1000's of km on rough terrain they have both covered.
I would definitely recommend Garmin..

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I use 2 Garmin GPS units.
For the MTB (VTT) and walking I use the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx
Great hand held or in a small cradle on the bars. Good battery life. Simple to use.
Small screen but ok. Only negative it can only use one map at a time.
For the Motorcycle Off-Road and On-Road I use the Garmin 680T
Great screen, holds multiple maps, and profiles.
Both easy to use, but you will need BaseCamp to get the best out of the units.
I understand the 700i is a great GPS.
Unfortunately the 60CSx is 10 years old and still going well and the 680 is 6 years old.
Never had a problem with them over the 1000's of km on rough terrain they have both covered.
I would definitely recommend Garmin..
Thanks for that,l understand the 700/700i is later model of the 60CSx with many improvements but the same principles.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I just use my phone in a Quadlock mount on the bars. It lasts for hours and I've got a small battery for backup if I need it. I just use TrailForks or Komoot most of the time. I did a few 40-50km routes in the Hope Valley and the Dyfi forest last year. I wouldn't use it going down the red routes at a bike park, but it's good enough to stay put down potato alley.

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
I have just purchased the 700 from GPS training with full UK 1:25k mapping.
I have been trying it out on the South Downs and I am vey impressed with it.
Very easy to read screen and battery life is very good.
I found GPS training to be excellent with all my research questions and the online video training package is very good.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back