Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well good evening from Interlaken. I arrived here Monday afternoon and met a couple of Aussies from Brisbane. We swapped yarns till quite late and they very graceiously fed me and plied me with drink. It would have been rude to refuse.
I rose late on Tuesday and bid farewell to my Aussie comrades who were en route to stay with friends. After lunch I took a stroll around and enquired about the Swiss Travel Pass. By chance I picked up a leaflet describing the Regional Pass Berner Oberland - this covered the area I needed and saved some money. After a mooch about the station taking pictures of odd things I made my way back to Fanny, prepared dinner and had an early(ier) night.
Up bright and early on Wednesday I made my way to the landing stage and caught the 0907 boat to Brienz. The boat was the Jungfrau.
View attachment 248175
The view above was taken before I walked around to take the boat.
View attachment 248160
After setting off the boat passed beneath this girder bridge taking the railway line to Brienz.
View attachment 248161
This church was on the approach to one of the stops at Ringgenberg (I think).
Arrival at Brienz I made my way to the booking office and obtained my boarding pass. Travel on this line is included in the Regional Travel Pass.
Very soon I was aboard the train powered by the "kneeling cow" steam locomotive.
View attachment 248152
Another view with us being followed up by a diesel powered train. The gradients on this line took me by surprise despite viewing it on the Travel Channel - Swiss Railway Journeys (many years ago and the prompt for these journeys).
View attachment 248153
Next a view out of the carriage. I will repeat this ride. Absolutely fantastic.
View attachment 248154
View attachment 248155
A vies of the little engine at the top (once everyone had moved out of the way). As you can imagine I took rather more pictures than could possibly be included here.
View attachment 248156
The actual summit is a few feet further on and is shown above.
View attachment 248158
A selfie taken up there, this was the best of a bad bunch. I need to go to night classes to learn how to smile.
View attachment 248157
Above a view of one of the little engines propelling its train up to the summit station.
View attachment 248164
A view of the station with three trains in!
View attachment 248165
A picture of the Jungfrau taken from the paddle steamer on my return to Interlaken. Below a shot of the paddle steamer taken this morning when I wandered round to catch a train to Grindelwald.
View attachment 248166
I took the train to Grindelwald where changed for Kleine Scheidegg on I think the train below!View attachment 248167
Yes, that is the one. Arriving at Kleine Scheidegg I bought a ticket for the Jungfrau line, 50% reduction with the travel pass, every where else I travelled today was included in the pass. I should have paid more attention before buying my ticket because today the summit was shrouded in cloud.
View attachment 248168
Above Kleine Scheidegg, next a view at the summit station, I did take a picture at the ice gallery stop on the way up but have not transferred that across yet, sorry.
View attachment 248169
Next the view that greeted me - I had seen enough of this in my professional life, though thank fully never containing rock!!!!!!
View attachment 248170
Another view at the station with the train to return me to Kleine Scheidegg .
View attachment 248171
On reaching Kleine Scheidegg I elected to take the train to Lauterbrunner, here is a shot descending towards Wengen.
View attachment 248172
A view along the valley from the train.
View attachment 248173
Below a very small electric locomotive - another future model perhaps, once I have "settled down"
View attachment 248174
The rain set in after this and no more pictures were taken though hundreds had been taken before. I hope to share more in the future perhaps in a reflections thread!

The Swiss railways are well worth the visit and the travel passes excellent value. Tomorrow I am hoping to visit Thun by boat or train and return by whichever I did not go on ( if that makes sense).

Thank you for looking Clive
Loving your trip thanks for sharing!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Wonderful stuff. Thanks for posting. We stayed a couple of nights in Camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunner last year. Swishest site we have stayed on, with a price to match. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Fantastic pics and a good story,thanks! May even inspire me to go there.....no, I WILL go.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning,

A few pictures from yesterday when I travelled over to Thun by train to catch the paddle steamer back to Interlaken West.

The first picture was taken from the train, I had not actually seen a coach converted like this before.
image.jpeg

Next is the paddle steamer I was to travel Lake Thuner See on.
image.jpeg

Such beautiful lines. She was about to be passed by the ship on the right of the picture and I expected her to be positioned back to the berth that had vacated. With this in mind I positioned myself where I could get some good video. Nothing happened so after a while I went back to consult the departures board and learned that she would depart from the berth where she was moored.
The lake is accessed via a channel, illustrated below.
image.jpeg

Into tourist mode and loads of pictures of various parts of the lake which I will spare you most.
image.jpeg

I could not make up my mind if the building above was a hotel or private home.
image.jpeg

Above one of those churches so typically Swiss.
Below one of those charming chocolate box type fairy castles. It was a generally dull day so sadly the pictures are not as bright as I would wish.
image.jpeg

Another church with a different style.
image.jpeg

Next one of the other boats operating the service on the lake.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Above a small landing stage offering access to some caves. There is so much here to see and do that I was unaware of.
image.jpeg

The boat above had just reversed out of the narrow channel to Interlaken which we are about to enter. The channel is pictured next.
image.jpeg

The picture is toward the end of the channel and the landing stage is just before the building at the far end. It was a straight transfer for me to walk up and catch the next train to Interlaken Ost. I had decided that I would travel up to Brienz in order to take some views "hopefully" of the little steam engines on the Brienz Rothon Bahn and the the paddle steamer Lötschberg which I had travel on this Wednesday last.
First a view of the small station building/booking office.
image.jpeg

I was pleased that one of the little engines arrived shortly after my appearance and tried to get a shot of it alongside the building.
image.jpeg

This was not quite what I wanted so thought I would wait for it to depart and hopefully get a side view from nearby on its departure. In the meantime the paddle steamer was due to depart from the nearby landing stage and I wandered over to shoot some video and stills.
image.jpeg

Above she has just turned and setting course across the lake. Success time to wander back to the station. I was pleasantly surprised while waiting for the departure when another train arrived and I was able to take a couple of reasonable shots.
image.jpeg

The next shot gives a view of the locomotive more from the side.
image.jpeg

It is not as apparent as I would like but you can begin to see that the boiler is inclined which leads toward the nick name of kneeling cow.
image.jpeg

Finally a picture of a train like the one I caught back to Interlaken Ost, this one departed an hour earlier than mine and was captured as I walked back to the station from the paddle steamer.

Thank you for looking, don't worry the trains and boats will ease up soon!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The Kneeling Cow is fascinating. Do you have a video of it working? The arrangement of the connecting rods is weird as they don't fit on the same pin in the middle. I can only guess the two pins remain horizontal due to gearing inside that housing.
A hotel bus I've seen before but it had the sleeping bit on the bottom with seats on the top deck.

Edit: Just discovered how the kneeling cow works. :) There is only one pin, the one with a silver cap. The pin for the front connecting rod fits on another pin attached to the forward edge of the rear connecting rod. :) 0.27 onwards in the video below.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi an update. You may be aware from the photo of the day thread that Tesco have reminded me of their "fair use" conditions. It seems they do not expect anyone to be away from home for more than 2 months. For a little while the updates will be infrequent and when I find some free wifi like now. I did not bother to bring my MIFI this year, serves me right.

On Saturday I returned to the Brienz Rothhon Bahn, taking the train to Planalp where I disembarked to take photos and videos. As I said else where I intended to take a gentle stroll back.

So here at the Planalp station some train pictures!
image.jpeg

A kneeling cow and train, you can begin to get an idea of the gradient from this photo. My legs can testify to the gradient as well, but more of that in a minute.
image.jpeg

You can see from this picture that often one train follows another up and they stop here behind each other and take water while one train comes down from the top.

image.jpeg

This picture should have appeared first as it was the first arriving, sorry.
After spending an hour or so here I set off on my little stroll of 5.5 kilometres back to Brienz. It started like this.
image.jpeg

A nice steady little stroll for the old man. Sadly it soon became like this.
image.jpeg

A very rough stoney surface with horrendous gradients and occassional sections of very loose granules giving the effect of walking on ball bearings. As I walked I was leaning backward and having to brace my legs to walk slowly and avoid injury. I was wearing the wrong footwear and a rucksack of cameras and a barking great fluid head tripod are bad news for this escapade. I had hoped to see a number of crossings on my way down but there were not. I had seen them from the train on the way up but the walk back did not follow the route of the train. Eventually though I found the one below. Here I exhausted all the memory cards and the only photos after this were on the phone.
image.jpeg

I cannot begin to tell you how my legs felt at the end of the walk by which time I was walking like a wreck. They ached all day yesterday and it feels like they are aching just as much now.

Yesterday I travelled from Interlaken to Les Hôpitaux-Neufs in France where I videoed a lovely German locomotive. No stills available of the engine but here is where I parked up for the night.
image.jpeg

It was a rainy thundery night which continued into this morning when I left to make my way to Bligny sur Ouche to visit the little Train Touristique there.
I stopped en route for shopping and fuel arriving here about 1345. I spoke to the person running the station. Only diesel today but steam on Wednesday which is a public holiday. I thanked him and picked up a flyer, bought a book and wandered around taking pictures.
image.jpeg

The standard station building.
image.jpeg

The little narrow gauge engine. Some of the stock is built up on old WW1 frames.
image.jpeg

Well, that should have made your eyes glaze over. I am off to Pont d'Ouche now which is beside the Bourgogne Canal. I intend cycling towards Dijon tomorrow (legs permitting), returning here for the steam trains and a possible WIFI update one Wednesday.

All the best Clive

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good evening from Bligny sur Ouche,

I returned here this morning after spending the last two nights at Pont d'Ouche, next to the Canal de Bourgogne. This was a great location. Monday afternoon I generally lazed about. I was able to listen to Radio 4 on long wave and learn of the terrible bridge collapse in Italy.
image.jpeg

Above parked by the canal (as seen on photo of the day thread). This is a good spot and I have noted it in my brain for when I am in this area again.
Next as threatened my bike was pressed into service yesterday (Tuesday) and I cycled along the canal tow path to Pont-de-Pany. As I mentioned in the other thread I was surprised to find the locks are operated by hand. The lock keepers travelling along the canal on motor scooters to operate the locks as required. I watched the operation and it looked like hard work to me!
image.jpeg

Above one of the large converted barges which provide comfortable accommodation and wine and water cruises. They just fit in the lock. This lock was operated by the young girl on the right. My bike is leaning against the rail in front of her.
image.jpeg

You can get some idea of the drop in the "écluse" from the picture above.
There were a lot of locks but no "flights of locks" where I was.
image.jpeg

Above one of the old "écluse" keepers homes a couple of the keeper's scooters and the small utility van and trailer used for ferrying the scooters around.
image.jpeg

Now one of the many beautiful stone arch bridges over the River Ouche which parallels the canal. Each a water colour/pastel/oil/charcoal study in itself - as Arnie said, "I'll be back!"

I returned to Fanny, took a salad lunch and settled down to watch the world go by, in particular eight people playing boules and a mother and son fishing. After a lazy afternoon I watched Fred and Ginger in Top Hat before listening to music and retiring.

Up about 0800 this morning I decided I would get another short ride in before moving over to Bligny sur Ouche. I rode in the opposite direction to Vandenesse. On the way I passed on my right Chateau Neuf as pictured below.
image.jpeg

Below a look towards an écluse on what was a beautiful morning and which became a beautiful day - though rather warm.

image.jpeg

Next up an old barge flying a Belgian flag and with the side fittings I suspect a vessel that plied tidal waters. This was at Vandenesse where I turned back for Pont d'Ouche.
image.jpeg

On my return to Fanny I got packed up and made my way back to Bligny sur Ouche. I am parked int the small Municipal Campsite and as I type this I await the promised warden to remove cash and connect the electric. I have an idea he/she is not coming! After a shower I wandered up to the railway and took photos of the locomotives to be used.
image.jpeg

They look a bit like the team from Thomas.
image.jpeg

The red locomotive.
image.jpeg

The blue engine.
image.jpeg

Finally the little green engine. This engine powered my train from Bligny sur Ouche to Pont d'Ouche. There being no run round facility there, the blue engine ran light to Pont d'Ouche where it attached itself to what had been the tail of the train. The green engine detached and we were drawn back to Bligny sur Ouche by the blue engine.
image.jpeg

Above a view travelling outward. The line lacks any real curves, the 60 cm gauge (old WW1 equipment) has been laid on a former standard gauge line so good views of the engine were not possible.

Below is a picture of a strange little delivery cart/contraption.
image.jpeg

Quite curious.
Finally Fanny at rest at the campsite.
image.jpeg

Tomorrow I will start to make my way to Longueville a little south east of Paris. No point me being there before Saturday so it is anyone's guess where I will stop next or be able to file my next report.

By the way, if you do elect to go on one of the smaller train Touristiques I recommend you take a cushion.

Thanks for looking, Clive

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    306.6 KB · Views: 4
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Great pics Clive,thanks. Getting the map out now to see where you’ve been.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Well good evening from Dannemoine,

I have no internet connection here and just checking the mail on my pay and go swallowed £2.50 before I knew it. For that reason I am preparing my dialogue here on Word and when I next have a connection (free) I will copy it across to the forum and hopefully insert some pictures.

Today is Thursday 16 August, I knew it was a travel day and was in no rush to get up this morning so finally arose at 0845. I had sought and found the warden last night, paid my dues and stated I would like electricity. She said it should be there and accompanied me to the borne where we found the circuit breakers in the the off position. There access was not locked and if I am at another site and there is no power I will check the cabinet, always assuming it is not secured.

Camping des Isles is a good site, well laid out with good facilities. Yes the wifi is slow and you seem to have to log in far to frequently even after ticking the remember me box but at least it is there and does work.

I topped up my water tank and awaited my turn at the “dump station” not to long and I was in no rush, my plan being to travel halfway ish to Longueville so anticipating a stop at Tonnerre. I did not have to wait long and very soon I was on the D970 on my way to Tonnerre. Doris (my trusty Garmin) suggested an ETA of 1321 which agreed with my own human estimates – though mine was a more rounded 1330 (and was more realistic.

I wanted to do some shopping and took advantage of both Lidl and Auchen at Tonnerre. I have to say that the town did not have any “hey, stay here and look around” qualities and I elected to drive on towards Longueville but look for parking close to the Canal de Bourgogne. This I found about 8 kilometres later at Dannemoine. I have parked by the écluse and no one seems to be bothered so I plan to stay here tonight.

After lunch I decided to ride back towards Tonnerre it would only be short but would keep the legs spinning! This I did stopping at the écluse there and filming a boat going through the écluse. It was uncomfortably hot (over 35°C) so I decided to return to Fanny.

image.jpeg

In my absence a couple of “pêcheurs” had appeared and I watched as one reeled in a small specimen having the appearance of a Tench. It is still 33.4°C at 1930 as I close this episode. I am listening to R4 and have learned of the death of Aretha Franklin.
image.jpeg

At the moment I plan a ride along the canal in the “cooler” morning air before completing my transit to Longueville.
image.jpeg

Friday 17 August

Well I did do my ride alongside the canal and after made my way to Longueville. It was a pleasant and unhurried drive. The hardest part of the journey was accessing the final location and that was only made difficult by my faulty anticipation of a junction (I have had a problem with anticipation most of my life)!

Park 4 Night had indicated parking should be possible up by the stad which it was. I found myself a spot and “set up home.”
Shortly after lunch a person younger than I appeared on his mountain bike and introduced himself. He was from “la ville” and asked if I planned to stay overnight. I said that was the plan and he said that was fine but I should move before 0800 next morning because the area I was in would be forming part of the “brocante” and musicale experience on Saturday 18th. This linked in with the extended opening of the depot I had come to visit and the town’s celebration of twinning with an Italian town. He helpfully suggested a spot I could move to, not more than 150 metres away but I need not move then and there. I thanked him for his kindness and said I would move as soon as I had finished my coffee as I did not always get up early.

I moved Fanny to the suggested location which was much better than my original one anyway. I wandered down to check the depot access which was well and truly shut. Walking back up I saw that the gentleman was busy marking out the road for the stalls. He asked if I would be staying for the music and I replied I would. I spent a leisurely afternoon reading and loafing about listening to the encouraging peeps of whistles and sounds of steam engines coming only mètres away from my location but hidden by dense trees, bramble and the usual scrub of unmanaged land.
image.jpeg

I am uploading this in bits because the Internet is slow and I don't want you to fall asleep.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Hi, this is being added on 2 September and has been pasted from word. The bits after will be the same. Thank you for your patience.

Saturday 18th August

Up early and rucksack loaded with cameras. The depot was due to open at 1030 and I was there at 1020 (worse than a kid) when a young person in overalls opened the gate. I followed him up and paid my €4 entrance fee. The depot a sort of rotunda had a number of doors open and access was restricted to clearly marked areas. Having witnessed the actions of some of my duffle coat and bag, national health specs, fellow enthusiasts in the past I could understand this.
The engines available for viewing were of interest to me and I hope to insert a few pictures when I find some wifi. Sadly the positioning of them and that of the sun was not conducive to good lighting and after an initial trawl I walked over to the gardien and checked my ticket was valid all day before returning to Fanny and dumping all but one camera. It was late enough to to take lunch which I did before returning to the depot.
image.jpeg

If you do not want to read me having a winge move to just before Sunday 19th.

There was a distinct lack of steam anywhere and I found the gardien and asked if any was likely having heard so much activity the day before. He explained there would be none today and the next public exposure would be 27 October when a train was to be run up to Provins. I wandered around for another couple of hours and spent a load of money on a few books. It was a beautiful day and the museum/depot has much to commend it BUT, there is always a but.
image.jpeg

I am sure that the “department” or “state” are the landlords and allow the use by the association. Someone is responsible for the upkeep of the site and whoever it is does not. The “collection” itself, paticularly those parts “on display” could and should be better presented. The engines available to view and with access to the footplate are interesting but with one exception not shown off or prepared to their best advantage. There is no likelihood of them being returned to service as all have defective boilers but they can be “tarted” up to a sort of show room finish. At the moment they look just like they did when withdrawn from service. There were information panels on a few but these said little more than that which you would recognise at a glance. These need to be more informative and include a little history of the “victim.”
image.jpeg

Next moan. The rolling stock. There are a large number of Wagons Lits vehicles on the site all of which I thought could not be in service looking at the outward condition of them though I noticed the rail top beneath a short rake indicated movement as did the wheels. I examined the profile of the wheels and found significant wear. When I asked the gardien which carriages were used for trains I was surprised to learn it was these! Everybody loves a steam locomotive, well nearly everybody, there are a large number of long suffering women (wives, partners, mistresses and probably a few husbands, chums, etc), who go along and can and do appreciate a clean and well presented passenger vehicle (or the buildings before it). The whole yard had the appearance of my daughter’s box of Lego bricks after she had just tipped them onto the floor (this was some 25-30 years ago you understand) but just like her bricks after a period the bomb site was transformed. They could do the same. There were a number of vehicles that were simply falling apart and needed to be moved from front of house. The rest need sorting and labelling.
image.jpeg

Finally, like all these “joints” they are appealing for money to restore this or that locomotive (sadly and evidently not the rolling stock) they are missing a trick. They need to source, and they are out there, a small tank engine and return it to service for yard work. This could draw a couple of wagons along a few metres of track allowing people to travel in the wagons as part of the museum charge – not a fare. Properly set out this would be an attraction and it could be once a fortnight on the Sunday when the army of grand parents on which France depends will be looking after said children. The publicity is free as well. I know from previous experience that local newspapers are in dire need for content (try running a newsletter some time). If someone farted in the office we could send a press release out to the locals with a couple of pictures and knew it would be in the paper (the pictures would have to be discreet). Watching regional TV here you would probably get France 3 camped on your doorstep. The opportunities are there and real now. Winge over.

Welcome back those of you skipping the winge.

Despite the above I will be back for 27th October. I wandered are out the brocante and am pleased to report that there was nothing for me to buy. Most things were more of interest to the ladies, lovers of honey or alcoholics with a predilection for rum. There was a large Caribbean presence including the dancers and singers. I enjoyed what I saw and bumped into the young man from the town again. The small twinning stand was dwarfed in comparison with the others.

I was pleased with my parking space when around 2200 the reggae really began to thump out, I was at a good location, it was music and not just a loud noise.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Like the entry above I am sat on the ground outside the TIC, it is 02/09/2018. Cheers

I don't know how long the Internet will last so I am sorry I will just stick the pictures in.

Sunday 19th August

I was up relatively early after a good sleep and decided after breakfast to have a drive over to Beillé, near Le Mans where another steam train lot hang out. I picked my roads out on the Michelin and inserted the target into Doris the GPS. For once she seemed to be going along with my choice until we got to Fontaineblau where I elected to ignore her and drove through the middle of the town, thank goodness it was Sunday, even then the number of traffic lights were a burden. Had it been a weekday it would have been hell. Having got off light I will not repeat the experience even on a Sunday!

I made good time and refuelled just outside Chartres. I arrived a Beillé about 1330. There were a few cars in the car park but not many – it was lunchtime after all. I wandered over the the office to check on activity (office closed) but picked up the information I required from the posters on the windows. As nothing was due to happen before 1500 I decided to have a mooch about then take lunch before returning for the afternoon train. This was a good choice as apart from a lady of Phillipine appearance and her couple of kids there was no one there. The railway “team” I found in one of a pair of grounded multiple unit trailers.

Picture of an old diesel looking like it needs a birthday and with an unusually long wheel base for two axles.

image.jpeg

Picture of a tram engine similar to a model I have.

image.jpeg

Before I go any further, this outfit gets the full five stars. Clean, tidy, the stuff labelled and presentable suitably impressed. The track could do with the weed killing train and the summer growth trackside needs another trim (there was evidence of activity here). As there are only a hand full of trains a week during the season (which is short) the number of dropped joints can be ignored (I think). Speed was no more than 10 KMS and hour.

To my surprise, the little green tank engine I found was an Andrew Barclay 0-4-0T (0-2-0T in French). This little engine was the type used in small industrial yards in the past. As it was in service there was not an information panel for it but I was amused to find it had been fitted with a Westinghouse pump for the braking system, a steam generator for the lights and a steam water pump to supplement the injectors. I looked forward to my ride.

image.jpeg

Above the star of the day on arrival at the temporary terminus.

The train itself in the platform consisted of I think 3 Swiss vehicles, two twin axle short vehicles with verandas and between them a single bogied carriage. All presentable and all clean. Later apart from the train crew I think I was the only “enthusiast” on the train, everybody else was part of a family group just out for the day (and that included part of the train crew). I returned to Fanny and took lunch.

After lunch I went to the Guichet and bought my ticket. It was manned by a mother and daughter plus infant child (all of whom would travel on the train with pram and get off at each stop to sell tickets). It turned out that the engine driver was the father of the infant!

The train left a little after 1500 and made its way slowly towards Bonnétable (sadly because of storms earlier in the year not all the way). I took my position on the veranda hoping for some shots of the engine in service. Sadly the train was so short the action shots were/are rather wanting.

We arrived at the Plan d’eau at Tuffè where there was a travelling fair set up and quite a crowd. I was surprised to see a number of families leave the train and others join. They had simply used the train as part of the travel plan. This was where I saw the engine driver’s family disembark with pram to sell tickets then reembark. The train set off towards the temporary terminus with a run round loop at Prévelles. The stop here was to last around 40 minutes where the train would take water and run around. This proved interesting as well.

image.jpeg

A panorama of the fair.

As I said above we were stopping a few kilometres short of the usual destination where there is water provision. No such at Prévelles. After wandering forward to video the engine running round I was surprised to see a Draisine and wagon arriving. I had seen it earlier and seen the two large plastic tanks on the wagon earlier and assumed it was the weed killing department. I was wrong. After it had paused and everyone one had said hello to everyone and while the family and other train crew carried to coolly boxes over to a little kiosk to sell the passengers refreshments, the draisine pulled forward along the line. I thought, ah, off to do some maintenance. I turned my attention back to the little engine and filmed it detaching and running round the train. To my surprise it stopped adjacent to the kiosk and the draisine returned on the other line alongside. A hose pipe was connected to the engine a petrol driven pump started and the engine topped up. The hose was not very large diameter and explained why the stop was as long as it was. Eventually tanked up the engine attached itself to the now front of the train and everyone was ushered back and we set off back for Tuffè. I then learned that we would be stopping here until about 1800 while everyone went to the fair (including me) and that is what happened. It was quite a good fair with the dodgems and everything. I would have liked to have gone on the trampolines but with no one to look after my junk that was not possible and I did not fancy being knocked out by the digital Canon coming up or down to hit me as I was coming the other way. A little before 1800 the whistle sounded summoning every one back to the train. It was like being an extra in a Thomas the Tank engine or Titfield Thunderbolt shot. It is making me smile as I recall it. Something you simply chance upon and are unlikely to repeat.

Below the draisine which brought the water to top up our engine.

image.jpeg

On the journey I asked a crew member if I could stay overnight in the car park and was told of course I could. The barrier would be closed as the last staff member left but one of the team would be along about 0830 next morning to open it.

I spent a very comfortable night and the following morning a couple of members (mature) arrived opening up and setting about the maintenance. No trains until Wendnesday.

A well run enterprise allowing me an experience upon which I can warmly reflect in later years when dribbling into my lap.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
As above another entry from the TIC

Monday 20th August

There were no more trains for the moment and I decided that despite the advice of the experts it was time I exposed my flesh to the sun and try and fill in some of the gaps. I decided to make for Lessay where I would spend the night and before leaving make sure I had topped up the water and emptied the loo.

The drive started as a bit of a mystery tour as I made my way to Bonnétable having misidentified the road I was on but I got to see some great countryside which I would otherwise have missed. After Bonnétable it was straight forward and I stopped at Countances to refuel. It was not necessary but the price at the Total garage was very favourable for the good stuff. A steady drive up to Lessay where I parked level and fed.

Tuesday 21st August to Wednesday 29th August

After domestic duties I visited Intermarché and Lidl before making my way to Saint Germain sur Ay – Plage. Here I spend the days walking along the beach marvelling at how far out the tide goes how the whole geography of the beach changes each day.
I have always hated those contrived rock pools of David Bellamy, Attenborough and company where you find so much – alright I know, and I have snorkelled in the Caribbean and Med where I have been inundated by fish. Anyway, I had bought a cheap underwater camera on EBay which I mounted on the end of broken selfie stick and used it to poke around in the various rock pools. I was not expecting much of this cheapie and was pleasantly surprised with the results. Stupidly I did not take stills as well as video. Sorry, worse still it went u/s after the second mornings filming. I will take it apart as I think it is the on/off switch which I think is stuck! Having achieved good results with the wildlife in the pools (not as varied and colourful as those others but pleasing to me) I dug out my little used go pro and charged it up. I had bought a red lens filter for use underwater which I attached.

After lunch back off to the beach where the tide had retreated to somewhere near the Azores. My GoPro is a Hero 4 silver and I am able to review footage on the tiny screen. The red filter is a waste of time in these waters and gave the film an Amsterdam tinge so I took it off and got much better results. The water is often cloudy with sand but I have managed to catch a few fish on film and sadly missed a jelly fish by turning the camera OFF pressing the wrong button in my excitement. Merde. I got a reasonable shot of a flat fish laying on the seaweed and spoiled things by trying to make it move. It did, straight in under the seaweed. More merde!

On the 25th I popped back to Lessay to refill the water, dump the loo and do some shopping planning to spend a couple of nights there (the weather had gone off a bit). I had not allowed for the “Foire St Croix” which is held at Lessay each September. The Aire was devoid of camping cars but there were three travellers caravans and associated stuff in there. I used the services, did my shopping and returned to Saint Germain.

The Abbey at Lessay

image.jpeg

I stayed there until yesterday when I had decided to move up to Cap de La Hague to look at the island (Alderney) I used to live on. Back to Lessay to use the services to find the travellers had been removed and concreted blocks placed across the entrance. I pulled alongside the blocks and used the services. Quick shopping then off to the Office de Tourisme to see if they had free wifi. They did and it was slow. I checked my mail and updated my apps. I had not prepared this so could not submit it. I wandered around to the abbey which was not actually open then back to Fanny to make my way.

image.jpeg

En route was a turning for Lindbergh Plage, where Lindbergh had landed. I thought I would visit the site and read any panel giving information and take a photo or two. Well there was nothing about him and I did not stay long. On ward to Cap de La Hague.

I arrived about 1400 took lunch and then wandered down towards the little port at Goury. Stopping to take lots of pictures on the way and getting told by one of the four cameras minutes after starting to take pictures – but to far to walk back “Change battery” – great. I took comfort in the knowledge that I could swap the lens onto the other camera body if necessary and carried on.

Though I flew over this area hundreds of times in the past 10 or 11 years I had never really seen it other than the light house and as it was usually in the climb or descent I had not seen much of that so I was pleasantly surprised to find this charming little port with its lifeboat station. I was particularly impressed by the lifeboat which seemed quite large and even more so after I had wandered around a bit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I had decided that I wanted to take pictures of where I lived until 2010 walked to the little harbour wall to do so. I could see the long track for the lifeboat to launch into the harbour and thought, “Well that’s not much use when the tide is out like it is now.” Which was true but when I looked over the wall I could see another track running into the sea outside where the tide would not affect. I took my pictures and entered the building to find the large lifeboat mounted on a dolly attached to a part turntable which could be swung to access either track. Superb.

image.jpeg

The lighthouse at Cap de la Hague
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After visiting the lifeboat I turned my attention to the view of the lighthouse and beach before returning to Fanny by way of the Office de Tourisme which I am pleased to say has a free wifi.

Thursday 30th August

Laying in bed listening to Radio Guernsey I knew there would be little point in rushing around this morning and eventually arose at 0900. Breakfast and a good shower and shave were the first priorities. Then the washing up some French study and finally knowing I would be able to upload a file I have sat here preparing the last several pages of this. The iPad is low and needs to charge before I venture down the road. I have prepared this in word and will need to insert the pictures when I am down there!

Sorry about the quality of the posts. I will try and get up to date tomorrow before I leave here;

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
This is where I have been sending the above messages from. I hope to finish updating from here tomorrow morning.

I am at Saint Saveur Le Comte, parked at the air against the castle wall. Sadly out of range of the wifi.
image.jpeg

thank you again for your patience.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
3 septembre

Good morning

Rather than up load the book of the film I have decided to “streamline” and replace the entry I had prepared a couple of days ago.

After a couple of nights at Cap De La Hague, I moved over to Nez de Jobourg, about 8 kilometres. I chose to follow the D401 from Audeville which provided an interesting drive in places but a great view of the Baie d’Ecalgrain.

(picture of Baie)

The Aire at Jobourg is good but has no facilities. Great views and comfortable. I stayed here until yesterday. Good walks and there is a kiosk and at the point a café/restaurant.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yesterday I knew I had to move (the loo needed emptying). I looked in all the Aires book and chose to move to Saint Saveur Le Comte about 50 kilometres away. Before moving though, I enjoyed watching the “Tour of GB bike race” which I enjoyed and the coverage seemed quite good. I have decided to try and support some of our home grown cycling events next year as well as the Tour de France.

Arriving at Saint Saveur Le Comte I used the Aire and parked next to another camper who helpfully watched the back for me as I reversed in. There was a stone wall behind with a much higher one beyond that. I thought, “mmm, looks like a moat.”

After the second stir fry prepared by me in my life, I looked at one of my booklets to see if there was an Office de Tourisme. There was but it was not clear where. I decided to go for a wander any way and set off down the road.

Well it was not a moat but it was the Château, it had survived well until some bombing by the Americans during the Battle for Normandie. It also housed the Office de Tourisme, result with wifi.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I am off down there now to post this, check my mail etc before shopping and driving over to Portbail.

Thank you for looking and your patience. Clive

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Just read this whole thread Clive while sitting here near Dunkirk after just arriving this morning to France and deciding where to head to.

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
le 4 septembre Havre de Surville

Well, yesterday was a good day. As I indicated in the last ‘report’ I planned to move over to Portbail, taking the opportunity to visit super U and Lidl at Saint Saveur Le Vicomte. I went to the location suggested on Doris for Lidl and the location had all the appearance of once being a Lidl but it was not anymore. I had enjoyed my short walks around Saint Saveur Le Vicomte and was pleased to be able to empty the loo. Not an ideal overnight spot as the lorries start passing at 0400 local time (or they did when I was there).

A pleasant drive to Portbail which I had last visited about nine years ago with the person I had was and hoped would be my ‘soul mate’ sadly deficiencies on both sides put an end to that. Portbail is quite a pleasant place and I checked out the parking suggested in the ‘All the Aires’ book. I did not fancy it, not helped by the ‘gens to voyage’ parked adjacent. Happily there is a cimetière opposite and I took the opportunity to fill the water tank before setting off to find the train Touristique but that had already finished for this year.

I drove up to Barneville Carteret to have a look and discounted it quite quickly (just a matter of taste – and I have none) but took advantage of good shopping in the Carrefour Market. I decided to make my way back to Saint Germain Sur Ay for a few days. En route I passed signs directing traffic (if it chose) to ‘la mer’, simply that. I gave in on the third one and followed a narrow road for maybe 750 metres where it opened out into a reasonable size parking.
image.jpeg

The road itself continued through the dunes to form a ramp for launching and recovering boats. There were a couple of camping cars already parked, a van conversion and a number of cars. I wandered across to read the signage at about the same time as a small group of mature females who had just returned from the beach. I enquired if the sea was warm, no, and the wind is strong making the sand sting your legs. They asked if I was taking lunch and I said I would after I had been down and looked at the sea. They smiled and I left them.
The beach is a wide gently sloping sand job. The sea was definitely cool but I enjoyed a paddle and the assortment of old farm tractors used to launch and retrieve the boats. Back to Fanny for lunch and a dose of the ‘Tour of Great Britain’ on ITV4. I think the coverage is quite good.
image.jpeg

After the tour finished I went back to the beach with my camera to take pictures of both it and the old tractors. I had decided that I would spend the night here unless moved on. By the close of play only the van conversion and I remained.
The sunset was wonderful and I elected to stay another night and film it using time lapse (of course, though I am all prepared it is a cloudy and hazy day today).
image.jpeg

When night had fallen the view of the Milky Way was absolutely fantastic and I spent some minutes just absorbing the wonder. There is some light pollution but I have my telescope prepared for tonight (hoping the sky will clear).

A good nights sleep was followed by the usual and then I made my way to the beach for a couple of hours just laying in the sun. It was wonderfully peaceful with very few people around, half a dozen walkers, a couple of boat launches and horses being exercised along the beach the jockeys sitting on one of those sort of two wheel trailers which I thing they use for racing here (note, the chair I am sat on knows more about horses and racing than I do).
image.jpeg

Midday I left the beach and returned to Fanny to watch stage 3 of the Tour of Great Britain, Bristol to Bristol, and take lunch. Soon after my return the clouds began arriving and the wind became apparent. So once again my good luck had come through and I had been on the beach at the best time. Not looking so good for tonight though.

Another camping car has appeared and parked over the back. I suspect they will be staying the night so I am unlikely to be alone. I will pause here and keep my fingers crossed for a clearance of clouds to be able to enjoy both or either of the my sky related events. I am hoping to stay here another day or two and repeat today’s actions.

Mercredi le 5 septembre

An overcast start to the day with some wind though not particularly strong. There is a possibility of the sun making an appearance this afternoon and I will await it. Pleased to say that I was able to video in time lapse a sunset last night though denied the final moments by a distant mist which obscured it. I am going to run the generator for a while and sift through files on my hard drives. There is much unnecessary duplication. The other camping car just departed so I am presently alone here apart from the people using the area as a dog toilet and the fishermen dashing back and forth.

Jeudi le 6 septembre

Another lovely day here. I have been following the Tour of Britain on the tv as just able to receive UK tv from Jersey on my ariel. Good coverage and commentary. When that had finished I went out for a ride on my bike to La Haye du Puits to check out the camping car service point. A pleasant little ride.

Vendredi le 7 septembre

Lovely start to the day and with the “tour” starting later I decided to go out on the bike and explore the adjoining roads to see if there were any more spots like the one I am on to move to – I can’t take root here after all. I found Betteville plage which seemed promising and had free wifi at a sort of sub tourist office. I only had my mobile with me but at least was able to check the mail for the first time for several days. I will return here with the iPad over the next day or two. Hopefully pictures will be inserted in the text!
Back to Fanny and a does of the “tour”, I have decided that I will follow the tour next year along with the Tour of Yorkshire.

Samedi le 8 septembre

Up early, a dullish start to the day but domestic duties day. Empty cassette, fill water, shopping. I made my way to La Haye du Puits and was surprised to find a camping car parked right next to the service point – there was an area the size of a football pitch available to park on! The blinds were all drawn but it was gone 0930 so I parked next to him and sorted the cassette. The water source was the only one and marked eau potable but I elected to visit the adjoining cimetière for the water upload.
After servicing Fanny I made my way to Intermarché where I was pleased to see a pair of washing machines and a dryer. Time to do the washing, I dragged out the washing basket and decided to use the 18 kg machine (€8), I remembered miraculously the towel and a few bits inside but true to form I forgot to strip the bed, missed two tea clothes and a hand towel. Over excited I suppose, they are in the basket for next time! While they tossed and spun I did the shopping.

Chores done I decided to look at another location just up the road from where I had been. It looked very promising and I pulled in, checked I could get ITV4 for the tour and set up. About 5 minutes before Standal was going to do his magnificent finish a camping car pulled in next to me and blew my reception. I frantically twiddled the ariel but no good. Only one thing for it, move the other side of them. Off the ramps, move, check tv, back on ramps, settle down and what finish. Phew!
image.jpeg

That accomplished I went for a walk to explore, a nice location, good for a couple of nights. I also saw a waste bin (large) where I could put my black bag. When back at Fanny I collected the bag and made my way back to the dumpster, in my absence it had been almost filled. I had seen a few bags by people’s gates while walking.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I noticed that as vehicles arrived and left the tv signal was disturbed. No matter what I did it would not remain constant. I was anxious to watch the Vuelta highlights and decided there was nothing for it but to return to my previous haunt.

My first weekend at this location and in my absence another 4 camping cars had appeared. I set up, made sure I was level (fridge likes that, I don’t care) and settled in to watch the highlights.

Dimanche le 9 septembre

Just finished this, now I am going to prep the bike and cycle to free wifi and hopefully insert some pictures and post it.

Cheers Clive

You won't believe how long this just took. Next update in a few days;

OP
OP
Cleve

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Good morning

Just a quick post to say that I will publish a rundown of the last few weeks to close the thread in a day or two.

I have had a great time a away and got back to the UK on 30 September but set off again almost immediately to visit the Preserved railways in Wales. I will post a brief report on that as well. Sadly Wales does not enjoy good mobile coverage in the areas I was visiting.

Fanny has been brilliant on all fronts.

I need to have a clear out here in the UK before I disappear again and will have a number of items for sale which may be of interest to self builders. Nothing will happen for a day or two though while I get caught up.

Thank you for your interest.

Clive

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back