Fancy travelling further afield??? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
No, just looking !!! Did multiply my length width and height to find my m3 and multiplied that by the shipping costs to various counties though! Worked out around €5000 each way for 2 adults in a cabin and the motorhome, but of course that's each way, and to the US.
Australia was about USD8000 just for the van:eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have to factor in the marine insurance,customs .We have been contemplating this idea for a USA trip .Cabins are a new option but cheaper to fly and collect .Second option to buy and sell in USA.Funsters have done both I think.Forestboy explained in detail a few years back how to buy and sell.
If you plan to go more than once over your 10 year visa then buy,store,sell will be cheapest.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
For Australia and NZ we did van swaps with four different couples with two months each .
Saved over thirty grand compared to eight months van rental for similar vans.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Spoke to a Hymer club member who shared the purchase of USA van with two other couples.Used it four months each over some years then sold.Told cheapest way possible as they shared all costs including a replacement engine.
I wouldn't mind doing similar with like minded motorhomers.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The tour from Berlin to Peking looks interesting...! Can that be done..?

As a point of interest, if you ship your van over to USA how long can you stay over there for...?

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp

As a point of interest, if you ship your van over to USA how long can you stay over there for...?

I think it will be 90-days max on a B1 tourist non-migrant visa but I could be wrong.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing

We owned the Winnebago, (Avtar) for over 5 years. It cost me $22,000, in Florida, and was sold for just over $13,500. We had storage at Camping World Houston, fully secure $39/Month. We used it for over 5 Months each year. (you are allowed 6 months on a the 10 year visa) As long as you apply EARLY you could (then) get an extension. Depending where you register it (my Son Lives near Houston, hence our choice) Taxes and an Emission test cost about $150 annually. Insurance varies but my last deal was $500 per year, via Good Sam, with a Texas Licence. It had an annual service approx $200 inc oil and filter changes, and 2 New batteries, I eventually fitted an 100w solar panel to boost the batteries during storage.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
We used it for over 5 Months each year. (you are allowed 6 months on a the 10 year visa)

Pete,

Can you do all 6-months at once without a break plus, if you opt for a 10-year visa then does that require the completion of a DS-160 or not.

Cheers,

Andrew

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Pete,

Can you do all 6-months at once without a break plus, if you opt for a 10-year visa then does that require the completion of a DS-160 or not.

Cheers,

Andrew

As I said we did in excess of 5 months more than once. I think the DS160 is the form used for all Visitor applications, but there may be one for Business?, I am not sure. The other thing is mine was over 8-9 Years ago now, and things may have changed. IF you finish up going to London (US Embassy) as we did be prepared to queue, sit and make provision to be there ALL day. Get GOOD quality Photo`s and check the photo size as it is not the same size as the UK/Europe. When you arrive in the US, the "Visa Waver" (green?) form is not the one you fill out, if you make that mistake the immigration officer will send you away to fill out the correct one!!. Most (all?) Airlines carry them.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Well worth considering one way relocation rental of new RVs for as little as $205 per week for up to a month .

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Well worth considering one way relocation rental of new RVs for as little as $205 per week for up to a month .

That`s Interesting?. I saw this being "Floated" on some of the US R-V forums, when I was out there, but didn't know it had got off the ground?. The Idea was you "hired" an R-V and took a "vacation" which ended up at the new location. Winnebago, where allegedly looking into it back in 2013, as a cheap way to get their Coaches to for example "Lazydays" in Florida. It was also rumoured that Lazydays themselves where looking to use it as a method of transferring coaches between Branches.? There was a lot of speculation about it.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
That`s Interesting?. I saw this being "Floated" on some of the US R-V forums, when I was out there, but didn't know it had got off the ground?. The Idea was you "hired" an R-V and took a "vacation" which ended up at the new location. Winnebago, where allegedly looking into it back in 2013, as a cheap way to get their Coaches to for example "Lazydays" in Florida. It was also rumoured that Lazydays themselves where looking to use it as a method of transferring coaches between Branches.? There was a lot of speculation about it.

There was a thread on here a couple of weeks back and I posted a blog of our one way RV re location trip in 2012 for Cruise America . Pickup in Chicago deliver to Las Vegas 28 days 3k miles , total cost flights hotels etc £3500.
I will try and find the thread link and post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back