Rally Chat Fancy making & partaking ? - Hunstanton Soap Box Derby 2019 (1 Viewer)

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi everyone

Fancy something different?

It sounds fun and I reckon with so many inventive and handy members we could have a few entries. Here are the kart rules. Let me know what you think. It is held in September - too late to enter for this year but we could perhaps have a rally starting on the Thursday or earlier and help each other. Ideas welcome :)

Soap Box kart design

The design of the karts is up to the builders. Remember that the judges will be looking for style and originality. Builders should keep in mind that the Soap Box should be built with the intended driver in mind.
1. Soap Box karts are powered by gravity only – no engines or motors.
2. Karts can have one or two drivers.
3. The driver must sit in the kart, facing forward and control the kart using only hands and feet.
4. The kart must fit the driver. Drivers must be able to get in and out of the kart easily and operate steering and braking in the normal seated position without stretching or straining.
5. The centre of gravity, with the driver in place, should be as low as possible without violating the minimum road clearance (8cm) specification (including brake).
6. The kart must have four wheels; minimum diameter is 15cm. Wheels may not be made of wood.
7. Measures must be taken to prevent wheels from departing the kart when in use. Use cotter pins or other positive means to keep the wheels in place.
8. Fasteners used in the steering and brake systems must be prevented from loosening when in use by using lock nuts, cotter pins, wire tying or other means.
9. Maximum overall kart length, 280cm.
10. Maximum wheel base (distance between front & rear axles), 190cm.
11. Maximum kart body width, 150cm. Minimum kart body width, 50cm.
12. Maximum axle length, 140cm.
13. Minimum road clearance to any part of the kart, including fasteners, must be 8cm.
14. Minimize front and rear overhang.
15. All basic structure parts must be securely fastened to each other using bolts, screws or other suitable hardware. Plywood and solid wood are permitted structural materials. Particle or strand type board is not permitted for any structural part.
16. The basic structure is defined as the chassis on which the driver sits and to which the axles, steering and brake mechanisms, and body shell are attached.
17. The kart body or shell may form part of the basic structure. It must be made of rigid impact resistant material.
18. Back and forth movement of either front wheel shall be limited to 3cm. Stops must be installed to prevent over-steering. Steering movement must be smooth.
19. The kart must have a braking system capable of slowing the kart to a smooth, short and safe straight line stop without damaging the road surface or making contact with the tyres.
20. Cable links used in steering and brake systems must be secured and not slip under stress.
21. Adjusting hardware such as turnbuckles must be lock-wired in the final adjusting position.
22. We recommend that the drivers lower torso, legs and feet are within a body shell. The driver should not be able to contact the road surface or the wheels when seated in the normal operating position in the kart.
23. There shall be no exposed sharp edges or points.
24. Exposed edges that may be contacted by the driver shall be smooth. Protective cushioning material may also be fitted.
25. Build a stiff non-flexing basic structure. Try to keep karts light, but tough and strong. Do not add additional weight.
26. It is recommended to incorporate hand-holds for ease of handling.
27. It is vitally important that the kart can be driven repeatedly without steering and brake adjustments.
28. Test the steering and brake mechanisms for strength, repeatable and smooth operation.
29. Test the whole kart on a sloping surface. Make certain, through testing, that the intended drivers can safely operate the kart.

Please do not arrive at the Soap Box Derby with an untested kart or driver!

triclops

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2013
Bury
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Born again
Sounds very similar to the Bogie Race run by C&CC Leeds DA. Jeff and I both competed in that in years gone by ( before I was reduced to walking with a crutch). It got very competitive over the years to the point where it stopped being a fun event.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Jeez Gail, with all those design rules I could enter my old Skoda :).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
It will be so competitive that it won’t be fun for those who enter as a bit of fun (as above). Can’t wait to see you rocking it downhill in one of your stripped out mobility scooters though, Gail. ;)

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Sounds very similar to the Bogie Race run by C&CC Leeds DA. Jeff and I both competed in that in years gone by ( before I was reduced to walking with a crutch). It got very competitive over the years to the point where it stopped being a fun event.

That is so sad :( I just thought it was something different. No point though if there is no FUN in it

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I seem to remember on the red bull soap box program, it said about wheel sizes. To small and the handeling suffers , to big and the wheels collapse when cornering. It showed some using bike wheels and the spokes just giving way as it cornered.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I would like to join the team. Obviously our entry would have to be Motorhome shaped. We should ask @Jim and Warner’s to sponsor us.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Places that rally around Hunstanton at that time of year are in short supply as the kids will be back at school and the football season has started.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Places that rally around Hunstanton at that time of year are in short supply as the kids will be back at school and the football season has started.
So we should get organised and book it soon!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I would think so. You might get on smithdon school but only after 5pm on a Friday and off on Sunday as the school is open that time of year. Glebe is a private school so will have residents there at the weekend. Park farm snettisham has some fields next to its cl site might be worth asking. Searls and manor park would be top budget.

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I would think so. You might get on smithdon school but only after 5pm on a Friday and off on Sunday as the school is open that time of year. Glebe is a private school so will have residents there at the weekend. Park farm snettisham has some fields next to its cl site might be worth asking. Searls and manor park would be top budget.

I reckon I could get a deal at Searles, the schools locally do not like renting out their "fields" during term time :(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back