Fancy a coffee Friday 29th September and a chance to raise funds for Macmillan? (1 Viewer)

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
The World's Biggest Coffee Morning on Friday 29th September is Macmillans biggest fundraising event for people facing cancer. They ask people all over the UK to host their own coffee morning and donations on the day are made to Macmillan. Last year alone they raised £29.5million and this year they wish to raise even more.

Motorhome Fun will be the first online, virtual coffee morning for Macmillan. We are trailblazers, proudly supporting people facing cancer.

How can you get involved in this great event ?

Could you give up your coffee and cake on that day and instead donate those funds to Macmillan?

Would you drink your coffee and eat your cake but then make a donation to Macmillan?

Will you attend a Macmillan coffee morning in your area ? You can then donate cash directly on the day and get a cup of coffee and a piece of cake at the same time.

What would be wonderful is for you to post a photo of you drinking a cup of coffee or eating cake on that day. If you are wearing purple or drinking out of a purple mug that would be even better (we love a bit of purple over on the morning funsters thread). If your photo is positively purple I will send you a virtual purple cupcake (fat free).

Ways to donate to Macmillan :

By Text to 70550 using code JAM VUK4 to donate £5 , this is our own MHFun code!
By donating on the Website www.macmillan.org.uk/coffee.
By phone 03301027899
By making a donation at a coffee morning in your area, if you go on the website you will find details of those organised near you.

Speaking of coffee mornings, if you are in the area of @Jim place on the day, Jasmin Camping at Sutton-on-Sea, I will be holding my own Motorhome Fun coffee morning, there may be purple cupcakes.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you can get involved. Special thanks to @The Old Man who came up with this great idea and helped set this up.

Coffee Morning Purple.png

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I will not offer to bake anything as you may die @Jenben , but I will join you at Jims and provide some top coffee for whoever turns up.

Hold on a minute, aren't you the woman who made gin and tonic cheesecake ? o_O I dont remember dying after eating that although some evenings in your company have left me with a sore head :whistle:

Thanks for offering to help :)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
I'm at Vanbitz that day, getting a BatteryMaster fitted. I'm sure that we will partake of the free coffee for customers in the reception area and will happily make a donation to Macmillans for this very worthy cause. If @eddievanbitz has purple cakes on sale for charity I'm sure we would also support that! Are any other Funsters there on that day?

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hold on a minute, aren't you the woman who made gin and tonic cheesecake ? o_O I dont remember dying after eating that although some evenings in your company have left me with a sore head :whistle:

Thanks for offering to help :)
I think, if I remember correctly, it turned out to be gin and tonic custard, with a biscuit base.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I'm at Vanbitz that day, getting a BatteryMaster fitted. I'm sure that we will partake of the free coffee for customers in the reception area and will happily make a donation to Macmillans for this very worthy cause. If @eddievanbitz has purple cakes on sale for charity I'm sure we would also support that! Are any other Funsters there on that day?

That's a nice thing to do mrchrysalis , no idea if Eddie will have purple cupcakes but I can provide him with a recipe if he fancies knocking some up :)

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Hi @Jenben Me and Glenn are in. It's the day after we get back from Portugal so would not be able to make it to @Jim but will do something. Well done to you and @The Old Man for setting it up. Although I think its just a plot so he can feed his coffee addiction. :whistle:

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi @Jenben ..cracking idea..I'll try and remember the 29th. .
But even if I forget I'll make a donation...
Is there a prefered method.. you've listep a few:)..
Andy.

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hi @Jenben ..cracking idea..I'll try and remember the 29th. .
But even if I forget I'll make a donation...
Is there a prefered method.. you've listep a few:)..
Andy.

Hello Andy you are a lovely chap, don't worry I will be reminding people ! Well I don't mind how people donate but if you use the text no. that is specific to MHFun and I suspect Macmillan will be able to tell us how much has been raised on that number but in all honesty any way you donate is fine (y)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hello Andy you are a lovely chap, don't worry I will be reminding people ! Well I don't mind how people donate but if you use the text no. that is specific to MHFun and I suspect Macmillan will be able to tell us how much has been raised on that number but in all honesty any way you donate is fine (y)

Now why am I not surprised you will be reminding folk:LOL::LOL:
It sort of makes more sense to use the mhf route to donate but get what you're saying...
Hope all is good...
Andy..

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
@Jenben what a fantastic idea. We used to attend a friends coffee morning every year and made a donation. In all honesty we were just going through the motions then I was diagnosed with cancer and came into contact with Macmillan. They are absolutely brilliant, I am unable to praise them enough. My wife wanted to do a coffee morning but we don't really know enough people here so we will be definitely making a contribution. I just wish more people knew about the great work they do.
Well done for organising this I am truly grateful.

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Morning @Dartagnan I know you would like more people to know about the great work Macmillan do, by posting your experience on here you are doing just that so thank you.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
What a great idea although I think @Hils and Glenns may be right:LOL:

I'll be there..... Virtually :coffee: :)

Wonder if @Jim could give us some special purple smilies for the day???
I wonder if @Jim could make some special edition Purple Smiley Flags to sell at a premium Charity Price. He could store them in the space where the yellow ones would be if they weren't always out of stock!

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Hi @Jenben Me and Glenn are in. It's the day after we get back from Portugal so would not be able to make it to @Jim but will do something. Well done to you and @The Old Man for setting it up. Although I think its just a plot so he can feed his coffee addiction. :whistle:

Brilliant HilsandGlenns , hope you have a good trip, maybe you could bring back a few Portuguese cakes ?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Well I managed to do the text thingie. ....
Remember to leave a space.. me first attempt failed:(
How does it get the money ..... just got a mesage saying thanks for the donation..how does that work:D?????
Andy..
Well I think I know how it gets the money ... my phone account is debited I believe.. just had a message saying it had been auto topped up ..which I have set up but
How will that work for others trying to make text donations if you don't have a cash balance with your provider..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Well I managed to do the text thingie. ....
Remember to leave a space.. me first attempt failed:(
How does it get the money ..... just got a mesage saying thanks for the donation..how does that work:D?????
Andy..
Hello Andy well done on making sure you didn't forget to do this and for trying out the text mobile system you truly are the MHFun trailblazer on this (y)

From the Macmillan website:

When someone texts your code, we’ll add a £5 charge to their phone bill if they’re on a contract, or take £5 of credit if they’re on pay as you go.

The number 70550 is Macmillan’s own short code, for which all of the mobile phone operators have agreed to donate 100% of the text cost to help people affected by cancer.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hello Andy well done for trying out the text mobile system you truly are the MHFun trailblazer on this (y)
Well I thought I'd made a backside of it lol.. but it has eventually worked.. but I don't get how it can work for everyone.. the donation came out of a cash balance I happened to have.. how will that work for everyone..
You can tell I'm airy thick with this sort of stuff:D

And I've now fully read your reply... think I've got it.. cheers.(y)

Last edited:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
@Jenben what a wonderful idea count me in as you know how close this is to me at the moment .Rob has already spoken to them to ask for advice .
I'll be home and will take piccies of our coffee morning and cakes and purple clothes!!
Thankyou both @Jenben and @The Old Man and all Funsters!
PPP = Positive Purple Power!!

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@Jenben what a wonderful idea count me in as you know how close this is to me at the moment .Rob has already spoken to them to ask for advice .
I'll be home and will take piccies of our coffee morning and cakes and purple clothes!!
Thankyou both @Jenben and @The Old Man and all Funsters!
PPP = Positive Purple Power!!

Can't wait to see your photos on this thread Anthea , @The Old Man changed the Macmillan logo colour to purple just for you :)

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I found my phone (wife's handbag?) and did the texty thing, it came back as code not recognised then I realised I'd sent jaN instead of jaM so watch the fat fngers when typing

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Thank you Phil, loving your purple cupcake display .

The cards are in the post, well sent by hermes, you shoud have them by Wednesday, sell for what ever you can and put it the pot for macmillan

OP
OP
Jenben

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
@Scout Phil is a very generous chap, he had a number of cards printed on beautiful quality card when he was in recovery from his own treatment and sold them for charity. When I set this thread up this weekend he pm'd me to ask if I would like the remaining cards to sell for Macmillan.

A very kind gesture from a very lovely chap :h:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back