Family Travel Centre Adria & Sun Living Dealer Bristol Ceased Trading? (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Hope this doesn't affect any Funsters but all over Facebook that it looks like the Family Travel Centre in Brislington Bristol have ceased trading - tried calling them to check this before posting but all calls go to answerphone & understand that this has been the case for some time.
Many are concerned as they have motorhomes on order plus the warranties that they & Adria / Sun Living offered customers may not be supported.
We were considering buying from them a while ago - they were award winning & appeared to be one of the better ones so quite a shock.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Taken from a Facebook post. Not good.
"Family Travel Centre Bristol Gone Bust and Adria Warranties don't appear to be worth any thing. Just to let People know that an Adria Warranty could not be worth a lot. (chocolate Fireguard springs to mind ) Rang Adria UK and they said speak to other Dealers. Spoke to a couple of Dealers and they said if not sold by them, then they are not interested!!!!. Rang Adria UK back and they said there is not a lot they can do. They try to incentive the dealers but it is up to to a dealer to decide to do warranty work. Will try another few dealers but at this rate it could be Hundreds of Miles away for a service Warranty Habitation Check.!!!!!! If any one will do it at all. So Bottom line a Warrenty appears to be worthless. We bought our Van Oct 2017 and the 10Year Damp warranty was a selling point. !!!!! SPREAD The Word. ALSO check other dealers will do warrenty work on your van if where you buy it from goes bust or was the cheapest"

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Anyone let down might consider giving Gavin Cox at Geoff Cox a call as he can probably give an update or advice as to what the next stage is.

Gavin married the daughter of the people who used to own Adria so he may be able to bring some influence on Adria themselves.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Quite a small dealer with premises in a hard to reach city location, miles away from 'the strip' between Bristol, Highbridge and beyond...
Parking always difficult and a workshop that didn't offer many services.
Having said that, they did turnover stock and were always helpful, so there must be a fair few owners who have purchased from them.
Hope it works out for all concerned, never nice when a business goes under :(

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Family Travel Centre were Adria Motorhome Dealer of the Year in 2017 so looked like a safe choice if ordering a new motorhome & they were selling well at the October NEC Motorhome Show so hope Adria look after those customers.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Posted on Facebook 3 hours ago by Matt Sim:

A sad day for my friends at Family Travel Centre in Bristol who have ceased trading Today. Many great memories starting the business and building it into a fantastic place.

I believe Matt was a founding director of the Family Travel Centre, but then left and established the Motorhome Holiday Company separately. And now Belmont Leisure also.

https://www.motorhomeholidaycompany.com/

https://www.belmontleisure.com/ (which is an interesting concept - motorhome timeshare!)

Very sorry to hear of the demise of the Family Travel Centre - had visited a few times.

Last edited:

ross northcott

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
bristol
Funster No
MH
Hobby premium drive 70GE
Exp
Wow, i feel sad and lucky in one way, i bought a motorhome from them on 15th December, paid them a 25k deposit and the balance 10 days before collecting, it wasn't an Adria and a trade in, so the warranty i got was a after market one, which now is a good thing, down side was a door frame needed replacing and they were going to do this themselves, now looks like i need to find someone to carry out this work, but i could have lost a lot of money if they went through during my deposit and completing the sale.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Wow, i feel sad and lucky in one way, i bought a motorhome from them on 15th December, paid them a 25k deposit and the balance 10 days before collecting.
You were very lucky. You should never put down a deposit that is more than you are prepared to loose and pay the balance on collection.
I've bought 3 new Hymers only ever put down 1k deposit.

Dec 2, 2010
Hollywood, Birmingham.
Funster No
MH
A Class Laika
Exp
Since 2011
Shame to see them go down, had an e mail from them today advising that they had ceased trading. Bought our van from them and can only say that they were excellent.

ross northcott

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
bristol
Funster No
MH
Hobby premium drive 70GE
Exp
You were very lucky. You should never put down a deposit that is more than you are prepared to loose and pay the balance on collection.

The deposit was a 1k down payment, then i gave them 5k in cash and traded in my motorhome, which they gave me 19k against new one, but they took my old van weeks before i got my new one, they sold it within 3 days as a trade sale, so don't know where i would have stood with regards to my old van?

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"

Same here Lenny - £1k deposit balance on collection :)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The deposit was a 1k down payment, then i gave them 5k in cash and traded in my motorhome, which they gave me 19k against new one, but they took my old van weeks before i got my new one, they sold it within 3 days as a trade sale, so don't know where i would have stood with regards to my old van?
Possibly in trouble as an unsecured creditor!
As the guys have said, pay a minimal deposit up to a maximum of what you can "afford" to lose.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Wow, i feel sad and lucky in one way, i bought a motorhome from them on 15th December, paid them a 25k deposit and the balance 10 days before collecting, it wasn't an Adria and a trade in, so the warranty i got was a after market one, which now is a good thing, down side was a door frame needed replacing and they were going to do this themselves, now looks like i need to find someone to carry out this work, but i could have lost a lot of money if they went through during my deposit and completing the sale.
My understanding is that body works were outsourced to http://www.caravanrepairs-sw.co.uk/ and not carried out in house.
We have used them (as recommended by Family Travel Centre) but can’t really recommend them ourselves as we’ve had mixed experiences...

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
I think you would have lost the lot.
Had a friend who some years ago before online transfers were norm, sent dealer a cheque on Monday going to pick us his van on Friday, dealer went into liquidation on Thursday.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
The Family Travel Centre website suggests they had about 35 new and used vans in stock - one at £114k and another at £102k; the cheapest at £30k.

Company accounts to 30 June 2017: Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

ross northcott

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
bristol
Funster No
MH
Hobby premium drive 70GE
Exp
I went in 9 days ago, and they had a serious amount of stock, especially as most were brand new

ross northcott

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
bristol
Funster No
MH
Hobby premium drive 70GE
Exp
Kind of ironic i guess lol
Looking after me for the coming months and years, more like days

Attachments

• family aftercare.pdf
    381.2 KB · Views: 38
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Bad for the customers staff and owners on our last van paid £1000 deposit on credit card sounds like it was a good move we also paid the balance on collection by debit card so no real chance of losing out if they went bust. I wonder if there is any comeback on the credit card companies if there is a big warranty problem not sure. I would have thought if there is enough bad publicity Adria will do something for warranty issues it won't be a very good advert to prospective buyers if they just do nothing.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Bad for the customers staff and owners on our last van paid £1000 deposit on credit card sounds like it was a good move we also paid the balance on collection by debit card so no real chance of losing out if they went bust. I wonder if there is any comeback on the credit card companies if there is a big warranty problem not sure. I would have thought if there is enough bad publicity Adria will do something for warranty issues it won't be a very good advert to prospective buyers if they just do nothing.
No advantage paying the deposit with a credit card if the total purchase price is over 30k, does not give any protection.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I went there last month to get something from their accessory shop which is inside the showroom. They had lots of new and used MH stock but it was deathly quiet. I agree about limited parking, which is why we parked in the nearby retail park and walked over. A sales guy practically ran towards us. In most MH dealers the sales guys seem chained to their desks with better things to do than approach a potential customer.

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Anyone let down might consider giving Gavin Cox at Geoff Cox a call as he can probably give an update or advice as to what the next stage is.

Gavin married the daughter of the people who used to own Adria so he may be able to bring some influence on Adria themselves.

Has she got a sister? Xx

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
live and learn i guess, will not pay any more than a 1k in future thats for sure

Best way - no reputable dealer should need more than £1k to hold as a deposit - unless of course you are having accessories fitted then pay for them up front - as to giving your old van in PX before you collect the new one - that would be an absolute no go area for me!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's very sad news. I wonder who will liquidate the stock.

MO2HOM

Free Member
Feb 14, 2016
South West
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
5 years
Very sad news for everyone involved. We went there on Friday and again on Monday to look at a van, guessed that something was wrong as it was all shut up. They were always very friendly and helpful and did some repairs on our old motorhome.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When we ordered our new van the dealer refused to take the p/ex until hand over. We paid a small deposit and everything else was done at hand over. He said he would not get involved with "part performed contracts". That gave me a lot of confidence and we have not been let down.

Sad when good dealers go under though.

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Think might stay away from Adria stand a NEC gonna be a lot of unhappy people.......
Hearing mixed reviews on FB on how Adria are responding to outstanding orders and issues.......:rolleyes:

JimJams

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
East Sussex / Kent
Funster No
MH
RV, A Class
Exp
since 2003
I would imagine would got to another trader.if not gonna be some bargains to be had.........
When RDH Nottingham went bust strangely there was no stock owned by RDH Just one transit on the books valued at £800

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back