Family of 4 wanting to buy a campervan for 3 month roadtrip (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Hi all, good to meet you! We're a family of 4 (kids aged 3 & 5) about to move from the UK to Australia. While my wife and I have a rare moment of not being employed, we'd love to do a 3 month road trip around the UK and, hopefully, wherever we can get to in Europe (?Spain, Portugal). If it works well, we hope to do more back in Aus.

Would love any tips from others who've done the same, particularly around any of the following points:

1) What to buy! Currently we're thinking something like a medium wheelbase, high roof Transit-like van with 4 belts, 4 berths, and a toilet. The MWB/high-roof idea is so that it would be manageable on narrow roads and not impossible to find a park for, but also has reasonable inside space for when weather is bad and we're stuck inside. Does this sound sensible?
2) Where to buy - currently checking ebay, facebook (esp campervan groups), gumtree, preloved. Will be sure to look in person and get reasonable checks (e.g. AA) before buying.
3) Spend more or less? Budget wise, we were thinking ~£10k. We could realistically spend £15k or slightly more but wary of having too much tied up in the vehicle and not being able to get it back. I'm not sure how easy it will be to sell in August, and how likely we are to get within £2k of what we paid (can accept a reasonable loss given so much cheaper than hiring)? Would you spend more for a more reliable vehicle and feel confident of getting most back, or is £10k manageable - we can live with an imperfect van but don't want a lemon.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
1. Sounds impossible to me. Space requires a good sized van.
2.You’re looking in the right places.
3.Prices are currently high.Whether they remain so in August is a guess.

Personally I would rent as the buying/repairing/maintaining/selling is too much hassle.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Welcome....

your in the right place to find lots of info..👍🏼

to be honest your not going to get a lot for up to 15k as the market is sky high at the moment and looks to continue that way for this year... you may get your money back in august but you may have had to spend a few grand on repairs in that time...

more worrying for me would be the possible difficulty in travelling around a very busy time when lockdown eases and I don’t think you’ll get into Europe for any length of time before August...

a van for two adults and two kids full time needs a fair size and weight, do you have the C1 on your license to drive over 3500kg..?

good luck on your quest and it’ll be a great time for the kids if you get lucky...👍🏼

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sorenson
Mar 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Thanks Podney.
On 1) I should mention that our comparison point is a T5 pop top that we did a trial run in. Friends have a Fiat Ducato van, and that type of space seems manageable and hopefully we'll be able to spend quite a bit of time outside in Jun-Aug.

On the buy vs rent question, if we're expecting to be away around 70 days it looks like it would cost at least £5k assuming at least £70/day, so buying felt like a better option. We do have 3 months to find a van, and will hopefully also use it in the interim, but take your point about the hassle.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
Going to be difficult on that budget it will mean quite an old van, also as Gary says do you have a C1 licence as you are going to need at least a 4 ton van to get enough payload for all of you.

OP
OP
sorenson
Mar 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
to be honest your not going to get a lot for up to 15k as the market is sky high at the moment and looks to continue that way for this year... you may get your money back in august but you may have had to spend a few grand on repairs in that time...
Yes, to get the types of vehicle we'd like for £10k it seems we'd need to go for ~year 2000, with £20k seeming closer to the mark for a more recent vehicle. Obviously the more we pay, the less compromise involved. We wouldn't mind losing £4k overall between setup/maintenance/resale, but the less the better.
more worrying for me would be the possible difficulty in travelling around a very busy time when lockdown eases and I don’t think you’ll get into Europe for any length of time before August...
Agreed, definitely a gamble about getting into Europe and I've seen messages in other threads here about sites filling up in the UK. Such unfortunate timing as we've been talking about the trip for years, but we're all in the same boat so can't really complain!
a van for two adults and two kids full time needs a fair size and weight, do you have the C1 on your license to drive over 3500kg..?
No, I don't but thanks for flagging it. Will add that on my list of considerations if we look at vehicles in that category.
good luck on your quest and it’ll be a great time for the kids if you get lucky...👍🏼
Thanks!

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
At that budget, it will be an old van, so I don't think weight will be such an issue, 20 Yr old vans will be much smaller and lighter so should be doable at under 3500kgs?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I wouldn't assume reliability whichever of your options you go for I wouldn't expect to buy a car 20+ years old and expect it to be reliable and not need work which you will need to factor in. Just as another thought how about going to Australia early and having 3 months touring around there?. From what it sounds like its relatively unrestricted at the moment once you have done the quarantine and you then wouldn't need to sell on if you like it.

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Also bear in mind that the uk is likely to be rammed with people staying at home, most sites will need to be booked months ahead.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Don't worry, You will get a van with your budget, its going to be old, but old vans give just as much fun as new ones. One thing to consider. A family of four will need an absolute minimum of 600kg of payload, that will narrow your search down considerably. Don't just assume that 4 berth vans have payload enough for four, in fact most dont. Best of luck (y)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
hi and welcome to the House of Fun.

if you go for a smaller camper and be prepared to use other accommodation at times (budget hotels, holiday accommodation, air bnb) AND a tent/awning on sites, then i think its more than do-able, as has been mentioned, payload AND space to put stuff is going to be a challenge, you have time to practice though, so try to live as you would travel for a few weeks, limit your clothes, bedding, toiletries etc and see just what you can live with (or better still, live without!!)

a japanese import might be suitable, a nissan elgrand as an example. we once had a honda stepwagon with elevating roof, full side conversion which was brilliant, small yes (but you could sleep two adults a two toddlers in easy enough), but issues with small vehicles are what can you carry around that you need, hence my suggestion to 'live light' for a week or two or even consider towing a small trailer if your budget is limited.

just found this - you can spend some time cleaning it up etc - its not going to win any beauty contest but so long as it drives ok and is relatively rust free? insist on 12 month MoT and AA check .......

<Broken link removed>

the older fiat ducato engines were said to be bomb proof though they did have a gearbox linkage issue which was easily sorted for a couple of hundred quid .... its prob a timber floor, which do delaminate (go spongy) over a period of time but again easily repaired by a competent DIYer, i am sure that plenty of members on here had similar type vehicles a few years ago that might be able to point out any issues? also download the guide to buying a used motorhome !

seems to have all the basic essentials in place ....?

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi this may be a sore point, insurance! Finding a insurance co to insure you may be your downfall😳
Look into insurance before settling on a van. I sold my van to a NZ who did exactly what you are proposing.He stayed in UK for above a year and half by going into Europe then back into UK extending his visa.
He even asked if I wanted to buy back the Van which I agreed but he then found a Aussie who wanted a van so asked if ok to let him have it 👍Polite 😁👍Brought it back for me to fix a couple of small things for him and away he went. Spotted the van for sale about 4 years ago👍

Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
Motorhomes are expensive in Oz why not find out the cost of taking your van with you
Good luck

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
You could search on gumtree, ebay, and Facebook marketplace. An older van might fit the bill but some serious checking out is needed. They used to leak a lot then. Welcome to the Fun.
Phil

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
hi and welcome to the House of Fun.

if you go for a smaller camper and be prepared to use other accommodation at times (budget hotels, holiday accommodation, air bnb) AND a tent/awning on sites, then i think its more than do-able, as has been mentioned, payload AND space to put stuff is going to be a challenge, you have time to practice though, so try to live as you would travel for a few weeks, limit your clothes, bedding, toiletries etc and see just what you can live with (or better still, live without!!)

a japanese import might be suitable, a nissan elgrand as an example. we once had a honda stepwagon with elevating roof, full side conversion which was brilliant, small yes (but you could sleep two adults a two toddlers in easy enough), but issues with small vehicles are what can you carry around that you need, hence my suggestion to 'live light' for a week or two or even consider towing a small trailer if your budget is limited.

just found this - you can spend some time cleaning it up etc - its not going to win any beauty contest but so long as it drives ok and is relatively rust free? insist on 12 month MoT and AA check .......

<Broken link removed>

the older fiat ducato engines were said to be bomb proof though they did have a gearbox linkage issue which was easily sorted for a couple of hundred quid .... its prob a timber floor, which do delaminate (go spongy) over a period of time but again easily repaired by a competent DIYer, i am sure that plenty of members on here had similar type vehicles a few years ago that might be able to point out any issues? also download the guide to buying a used motorhome !

seems to have all the basic essentials in place ....?
Not sure if that Kontiki has 4 belted seats ?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The above posts have covered most points so just thoughts (encouragement) on the practicality..........
Summer 2018 my elder son and his wife planned to hire a m/h for a 3 month tour of Europe from Norway to Greece and Spain plus all places in between. The hire cost was eye-watering so I bought him a 12 yr old Elddis Autoquest ten year old one for 18 grand with the understanding that we would discuss any loss when he sold it upon return (although I had already decided to absorb any loss).
A leaking (rust) diesel tank in Poland had to be replaced which only took 4 days for the village garage to get from U.K. and fit it for peanuts. They stayed in the m/h at the rural garage. Apart from the tank issue it ran faultlessly. We sold it within ten days of his return for £2,500 more than we paid for it. However, it seems that m/h prices are at a peak now but it can be done in an 'old' one if bought with due care.
They did hire one and toured New Zealand North to South the following year. Here's their blog:
(Hmm, link doesn't open right).
They now have a 2 yr old m/h and looked into shipping it to Aus for a 6 month trip but the hoops make it very difficult so they're planning to emigrate there. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I think there was a kiwi website advising how and where to buy motorhomes for exactly this purpose so that people could use them for a 3 month tour then sell them on.

Kiwi Brit KiwiKampers any knowledge ?

I would be less concerned than some about going abroad, it is all going to be down to rates and quarantining. If Europe accept us then you only have to be concerned about returning which if you are doing a 70 day holiday, 10 days Q is less hassle than if you were doing a fortnight. Rates are much more likely to be a lot lower in the summer but not guaranteed.

Your other option, is to bite the bullet on the motorhome and Europe and get a caravan. Chances of you finding decent places to stop in July August in this country without booking are negligible the day before you arrive whereas if you were to plan to stay in this country you can do 4/5 days then move on and actually book up now.

Best of luck

Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
If I was in that budget would look at Ford transit with herald bodywork, one on fleebay. £11k insulation may not be great but youre using it in summer. Check for damp walls. Transit easy to get fixed. Don’t know what payload is, but will be under 3500kg gross

OP
OP
sorenson
Mar 3, 2021
Funster No
MH
Looking for one
Thank you all, you've been tremendously helpful!

Appreciate the words of caution too - better to know now than later. To address a few points - we're all dual UK/AU citizens and have resided here for the last 6 years. We did look into taking a camper back to AU but it didn't seem feasible. We typically try and live and travel very light so hopefully can get away with :h:.5 tonne vehicle but some trial runs is a great idea. Thanks also for the suggestions on vehicles - we'll look into the specific examples and brands recommended.

We're now weighing up whether to press through with the campervan purchase and advance booking some spots in UK and maybe even EU (particularly if flexible cancellation), or bringing our AU trip forward (really challenging with quarantine and restricted caps on flights). Lots to think about!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
More advise, buy a damp meter👍If you intend to sell on then don't touch anything damp and don't take sellers or dealer word about damp 😳check for yourself 😉👍

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I am going to get some/ lots of flak. Why not get a van and a tent less to lose and you could ship the tent out to AU for camping trips?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back