Falkirk wheel might close

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Doctor Dave, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave Funster

• Informative Informative x 6
  2. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Wow what shocking news. We have visited the wheel in the past and cannot believe such a decision is being made.

Wyn

3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

When I visited last year they said to my amazement that the boats are carried FREE and it was all subsidised by us foot passengers so I expect some accountant somewhere has pointed out how many more millions they could make if they closed it to boats, chasing that ever elusive Dollar, or maybe it is the poison dwarf, Krankie, Nicola the fish trying to raise enough revenue to join the EU.

What do you think Roy @Khizzie

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

That's an absolute disgrace. What do they think it was built FOR? Another bit of Disneyfication. Trade-in practicality for tourism. I guess this is what can happen when useful, practical projects are dual-purposed as art.
    I don't have a boat, never even had a boating holiday, but I think this is plain wrong.
    It needs fighting.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 3
  5. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks for the heads up.....

6. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

this was funded by public money for a stated goal, and i am pretty certain it wasn't to be solely used as a cash generator for the company. it hasn't hit the general media yet, expect a huge outcry.

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I don't really get it, the lift has room in it for more than one boat at a time, it could surely take the tourist boat that they still will be running as I read it and the odd other waterway user as needed in with it

If it was being stopped from running altogether that would make some sense, ie mechanical issues but that clearly isn't the case, I do not recall seeing any costs associated with a revolution, but I wouldn't have thought they could be very high

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tootles

Tootles Funster

That's strictly not true. Like the Huddersfield Canal Passage, the Anderton Lift, and the Ribble Link crossing, (all once charged for), The Falkirk wheel is paid for by boaters in their yearly licence fees. When you consider that the licence for a 50' narrowboat is currently running at almost £900 a year for a modest 50' boat, then it all falls into perspective. And also, 95% of all boats never get to travel through any of the above 'canal wonders', so the income to The Waterways Trust is plain to see.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Tootles

Tootles Funster

As a pointer to costs, David, the famous 'Barton Tank', where the Bridgewater Canal is carried above The Manchester Ship Canal in a rotating tank, which allows big ships to navigate the above and which was designed and built in the late 1800's, propelled by the original electric motors, costs.......Wait for it.........1p each time it is opened, such is the fine balance on the superb and original bearings.

barton tank.jpg

barton tank 1.jpg

• Like it Like it x 5
    • Informative Informative x 3
  10. buttons

buttons Funster

They were the days when Britain had an engineering apprentice scheme...(y)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like it Like it x 4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. PhilG

PhilG Funster

Lets shut the Dartford Crossing , flood the tunnels , and open it to Divers, and the bridge to bungy jumpers and downhill mountain bikers.

I think the people that proposed this should be sacked , on the spot , for basically being a complete and utter tw@t

• Like it Like it x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

When you consider, Mr B, the use that piece of machinery has had over the last century, (with its accompanying road bridge), that it holds 800 tons of water when opening, has been subjected to tremendous wind and weather patterns throughout that time, and has been closed for serious maintenance on very rare occasions, then yes, the engineering is without doubt the very best that (possibly), the world has ever seen. (y)

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Love it Love it x 1
  13. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Somebody somewhere is sticking down brown envelopes.......

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. PhilG

PhilG Funster

its Asshattery of the finest order. If they had announced it on April 1st , it would have been more appropriate.

• Like it Like it x 2
  15. milliethehymer

milliethehymer Funster

Utterly shameful.....

• Like it Like it x 1
  16. Borderland

Borderland Funster

The cost of operating the Falkirk Wheel is also very low as both pods always weigh the same and are therefore perfectly balanced.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

The best response to this is to vote with action. If people boycotted the passenger boat and proposed new foot passenger side in support of the narrow boats they would have to reverse the ridiculous decision.

As already said there is room for other boats alongside the passenger boat so what's the issue?

• Like it Like it x 2
  18. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Shut it down ,it's just a rip off for us poor english folks who are sponsoring the snp.they don't need our money they have all that revenue from oil and soon maybe from the great European states of Germany..lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like it Like it x 1
  19. cornish boy

cornish boy Funster

I am with you, I cant see the issue here.

One hire company has publically stated thay have made the decision to stop operating at the end of 2017 because of the increase in commercial rates to navigate the wheel combined with the reduction in guaranteed slots for their fleet.
    To try and force a better deal they have written a 'story' and put it in a public online 'newspaper' which gives the impression (incorrectly) that boat movements will be completely stopped with the sole exception of Scottish Canals own Falkirk Wheel pleasure boat.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    • Like it Like it x 2
  20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

When they closed the Anderton Lift in Cheshire for (15)? years, then spent into the millions re-vamping it, they decided to come the Monty about private boats using it. Charge of 15 quid each way, can only be used on Ash Thursday on the third year after advent.......You all know the bulls**t story. Anyway, there was such an uproar that they made it free on demand, you dont need to book, and it's shared, both in lift and decent, by a purpose built trip boat that coins it in. Plus, they opened an on site museum that the tourists flock to pay to get into. Falkirk is no different, and I suspect something other then finance here. Political?? It will all come out in the wash. Suffice to say that so much public money was spent on building it, that the operators will have their hands tied stopping boats using it.

Anderton-Boat-Lift-2.jpg