Rally Chat Falkirk Wheel meet - routes from the south? (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I know this was discussed a bit last year prior to the meet but b*gg*red if I can find it :rolleyes:

Being as we have only been over the border once before (on a coach:LOL:) just wondered if anyone can recommend an overnight stay/route please? Start point will be J28 M1. No bothered which side of the country we travel up.

I know it's a bit early yet but we had to give it a miss last year and so we're really looking forward to it:)

Cheers

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Debs M1 jct 32 M18 /A1 TO SCOTCH CNR A66 onto M6 (I think:D)we stopped off at Jedbrough last year - @DavidG58 will see this and confirm ?
terry

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
We're also going to Falkirk,were there last year, and it was very good indeed. In your case I suppose it would assist answering your question if you indicated how much distance you like to drive before having a stopover. I would tend to go North on the A!/M as you are heading basically to the East / Central Scotland.
Kind regards
Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We're also going to Falkirk,were there last year, and it was very good indeed. In your case I suppose it would assist answering your question if you indicated how much distance you like to drive before having a stopover. I would tend to go North on the A!/M as you are heading basically to the East / Central Scotland.
Kind regards
Ian
We share the driving & used to travel fairly regularly to Newcastle when Les's sister lived there (pre MH days) so happy to go as far as the border or beyond if it's a nice place to stay:).

We've never wildcamped but we're in cc/c&cc & britstops.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hi Debs, I think @DavidG58 is stopping at Hawick this year. Its a free official aire with toilets and a water tap. Lovely town literally a 2min walk away. Roughly 2 1/4 hrs from scotch corner. Take the A68.
Jedburgh is also nice but not much in it really. Google both.(y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
N
We've never wildcamped
Nows your chance and Im sure you wont be alone since theres quite a few heading up from England. :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all

Yes, my plan is to stop at Hawick on my way up, but not sure yet if I will be further north in the week before or after Falkirk, just sorting out plans at my end

@Debs we have used Jedburgh car park a few times, it is not technically allowed but not discouraged, but Hawick as @irnbru says is formalised, with allocated bays in the town centre car park, never used it yet, put do plan to this time. If I don't go further north first it will be the Thursday night in Hawick for me to get to Falkirk for midday Friday (y)

@Debs as for the route, I will be M1 / A1 to Newcastle, turn off at airport, then up to Carter Bar, bear off left just after the border for Hawick, or you could do the A66, M6, M74 option, further but maybe slightly quicker.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
If you don't fancy wilding there is a club site at Jedburgh opposite 2 large mill shops with cafes. Horses for courses but I prefer Jed to Hawick. Gibson Park a club site in Melrose it's our fav but gets booked up quick but might be lucky on a week night.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just looking at the distances - I have to compare it to driving to the New Forest which is around 200 miles for us - google maps is saying 278 total.

We'll have a detailed look over the next few days.
:thanks3:for the suggestions & info everyone.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Ooh, glad you asked this question @Debs . I really must start planning our route and halfway? stop over :eek:
Looking forward to this meet though.....

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you decide to come the M6/M74 route let me know and I'll see if i can help you with some nice stopovers in D and G. If using this route id personally recommend coming off at Gretna and staying in Dumfries you then rejoin the M74 at Moffat, although Dumfries is 20 odd miles from M6/74 it actually only adds 9 miles to your journey.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Our current plan is to leave Lincolnshire on Monday morning & head straight for Hawick. When you get to Scotch Corner, it makes little difference whether you go straight on or turn left onto the A66. There is little in it in time or distance. The shortest route & one I quite like to drive, is to go straight on at Scotch Corner, but then turn off almost straight away for Piecebridge, then head up the A68. Bear left off the A68 for Hawick just after crossing the border. Ok in my PVC, but maybe not the best route for a big van. Perfectly drivable, just a bit more hard work though.

If you do stay on the A1 until north of Newcastle, make sure you avoid rush hour. It's like a northern version of the M25 round there.

We will spend Monday night in the approved parking in Hawick.

Tuesday we head up the A7 to Selkirk, turn left onto the A708 & head for Moffat, with a stop off to look at St. Mary's Loch.

We will be on the Moffat C&CC site Tues & Wed night, then will head up the motorway to Falkirk to arrive Thursday evening.

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just flicking through the c&cc temp hol sites & noticed they have one running at Montrose Aerodrome for the Music festival

....." Site within walking distance of town center. Handy to enjoy the Music Festival (MoFest) in various venues all over Montrose Fri, Sat & Sun with live bands. Toilets & showers on site. Fees £5......"

Runs May 24th - 30th. THS2447/2016

Sounds a bargain to me, we'd love to stay on for this but imagine we'll need to come back down for my Dad.

Might of interest to others?:)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
1. Terry
2. Me and Rupert
3. Peter and Nicole
4. Debs x2
5. Davanne x 2
10.Dawn B x2
11.Simson x2
12.Aidan x2
13.George graham
14.Peter and Angela
15.Daveandsan
16.baycott

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Just flicking through the c&cc temp hol sites & noticed they have one running at Montrose Aerodrome for the Music festival

....." Site within walking distance of town center. Handy to enjoy the Music Festival (MoFest) in various venues all over Montrose Fri, Sat & Sun with live bands. Toilets & showers on site. Fees £5......"

Runs May 24th - 30th. THS2447/2016

Sounds a bargain to me, we'd love to stay on for this but imagine we'll need to come back down for my Dad.

Might of interest to others?:)
Unfortunately for us a family party awaits in Blackpool the following week. Kinda scuppered our islands trip but the beauty of the MH is we can just do it 1 week later

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back