Falcon TV issues (1 Viewer)

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I don't think there is anything anyone could suggest that could give me a fix tonight but my Falcon TV is close to getting thrown out the window.

It's a brand new 22" TV and it works fine through 12v whilst plugged in but struggles when off EHU.

I thought it was only when the firestick was plugged in so bought one of those mission devices that save the firestick drawing too much power from the TV's USB socket. That didn't work so unplugged the firestick all together and still getting the low 12v TV supply.

My picture is good and all seems to be working well but I get a bloody big warning square in the top right of the screen. I could live with it if they made it a bit smaller.

So what's going on?

I've fitted 2 new batteries (Victron 90ah's) recently but I had nothing to do with wiring the 12v sockets where the TV is.

Any pointers? I guess I really need to check how much power the socket is putting out but can't do that tonight.

As I speak the TV has just shut off 🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
According to the victron app when I turn on the tv my current usage jumps from 1.79 to 3.35 if that helps with any kind of diagnosis.

Popty

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
American RV,
Exp
Since 2018
I don't think there is anything anyone could suggest that could give me a fix tonight but my Falcon TV is close to getting thrown out the window.

It's a brand new 22" TV and it works fine through 12v whilst plugged in but struggles when off EHU.

I thought it was only when the firestick was plugged in so bought one of those mission devices that save the firestick drawing too much power from the TV's USB socket. That didn't work so unplugged the firestick all together and still getting the low 12v TV supply.

My picture is good and all seems to be working well but I get a bloody big warning square in the top right of the screen. I could live with it if they made it a bit smaller.

So what's going on?

I've fitted 2 new batteries (Victron 90ah's) recently but I had nothing to do with wiring the 12v sockets where the TV is.

Any pointers? I guess I really need to check how much power the socket is putting out but can't do that tonight.

As I speak the TV has just shut off 🤷‍♂️
Hi, l have a 22inch Samsung tv in our rv, that is 12v, that works via a 240v mains dropper, if we're on 240v ehu, it's fine but when we have no ehu, if l connect the tv into a 12v cigarette lighter socket, the tv only lasts about 10 minutes, so we can only use that tv when we are on ehu, or have the generator running

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Low volts arriving at the TV? Check with a meter if you can, hopefully it will be nicely over 12v with the TV switched on and remaining at that voltage.

If you can't check tonight can you connect the TV directly (or close) to the leisure batteries? i.e. minimum cable length.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You need to check the voltage at the TV or as close to it as you can with TV on.

The batteries depending on state of charge will be between 12 to 12.8v but when on EHU they will be between 13.6 to 14.4v.

If the wiring to the socket is undersized you could easy be losing over ½v.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Low volts arriving at the TV? Check with a meter if you can, hopefully it will be nicely over 12v with the TV switched on and remaining at that voltage.

If you can't check tonight can you connect the TV directly (or close) to the leisure batteries? i.e. minimum cable length.

You need to check the voltage at the TV or as close to it as you can with TV on.

The batteries depending on state of charge will be between 12 to 12.8v but when on EHU they will be between 13.6 to 14.4v.

If the wiring to the socket is undersized you could easy be losing over ½v.
I can only assume that's what is happening. My meter is back at the workshop so not much I can do tonight. When i switch the TV on it is saying 10.9v in the bottom corner. That doesn't sound good.

When I bought the van the TV they had in was 240v only so I am wondering if they had issues with the 12v supply up there and just changed TV to 240v.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Parked up at Aberdeen beach for the weekend. First day the TV was fine but started popping up with this low voltage warning again. I bought one of those plug in volt meters and the socket for the TV was showing 11.6 - 11.4.

LB voltage on shunt app was showing about 12.4.

So I'm guessing Lenny was right with voltage drop?

Is this purely down to cable size? I guess I'll have to replace with a bigger size?

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
How can I measure the voltage at the TV when it's on?

I unplug the power socket from the back of the TV and measure voltage there (but obviously the TV is off at this point) and I get a reading of 12.68v. I plug it back in to the TV and the on screen display reads 10.9 - 11v. That triggers the power warning and usually switches off the TV.

I would have thought 12.68v going in to the TV was more than acceptable. Am I wrong?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
You could measure it behind the socket where the TV is plugged in.
The problem is normally probably due to undersized wiring to the socket causing a volt drop.
But you have a Hymer don't normally get that problem in them.
You could run a decent size cable direct to the battery to prove its not a problem with the TV.

Another possibly is the socket has a poor connection to the plug.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
You could measure it behind the socket where the TV is plugged in.
The problem is normally probably due to undersized wiring to the socket causing a volt drop.
But you have a Hymer don't normally get that problem in them.
You could run a decent size cable direct to the battery to prove its not a problem with the TV.

Another possibly is the socket has a poor connection to the plug.
Cheers Lenny but if I am getting 12.6v immediately before it goes in to the TV does that not mean there is not much of a voltage drop there? Or will the voltage drop only surface when the TV is powered on?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes TV needs to be powered you will only get a volt drop across a cable when current is flowing.

OP
OP
monzer
May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Yes TV needs to be powered you will only get a volt drop across a cable when current is flowing.
ok that means I'll just have to do what you suggested with the cable.

I've not traced the route of this cable yet. I presume it goes to EBL? That must need about 5-6 metres. What size cable should I need for that to avoid drop?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back